Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the RL to Cape Cod last weekend with a friend for 3 days. Of course had to go check out the beaches of the National Seashore, especially after reading about all the fun people have been having here with their trucks in the sand. We got a 7 day permit and spent a few hours just driving around, sightseeing. Had a TON of fun.

The park's regulations require airing down to 11-12 psi. I decided to be on the safe side and dumped them to 10 all around. Being lazy, I decided not to pull the VSA fuse, figuring I could just do it if I get stuck. The truck did not even come close to getting stuck. The tires just floated right along. On one small hill climb (pictured with my friend sitting in the window) we had to stop to let another truck pass the other way. When staring back up the hill I heard the front tires slipping for maybe about a second (my friend was driving at that point). I looked at the side mirror just in time to see the rear tires engage, slip for maybe a half a turn, grab on some traction, and lurch the truck forward. Without any further protest the truck just climbed right up the hill. I am assuming the VSA lights were going off on the dashboard at that point, but the system allowed it to get plenty of traction for the climb.

Granted, none of the hills are all that steep or difficult at that park, but, for what it's worth, the VSA did not hinder our progress at all. Just thought some people would be interested to know that.

On a side note, we definitely got a lot of funny looks from the guys in lifted Fords and Toyotas. We did see another RL; he let us pass through a narrow part and when I waved "Thanks," he yelled out "Nice Choice!" Also saw some seal playing in the water. Couldn't figure out what they were at first.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Looks like fun! Gotta try that some time:act024:

·
Registered
45 Posts
That looks like alot of fun! Can't wait to try this myself soon, I hope!

Whoo Hoo!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks like fun been in Mass all my life never been to the Cape

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To anyone who hasn't been, I definitely recommend it. Amazing seafood, good wine, beautiful scenery, plus just getting away is awesome in itself.

And yes, we did have a lot of pictures with the Ridgeline. Another friend actually suggested we send some to Honda to use for pictorials.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice pics!! I went out to the Outer Banks last year and almost got stuck myself. Luckily someone told me I needed to air down my tires and once I did, it was a Blast!! Rookie mistakes!! LOL

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,206 Posts
Great shots! Thanks for posting them and glad you had a good time (so long ago…) :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad to hear the Ridgeline performed so well. Makes me want to get out on a trip in mine. Thanks for sharing so I could see them 2 years later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Nice pictures, I gotta try it next time I go down to the Cape. Can anyone recommend a good website to learn how to drive on the sand? I've never taken a vehicle off-road before.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you anticipate going on the sand a lot, consider getting some tire deflators. I've been using Staun Tire Deflators for sand driving since I got my Ridge in 2005. Set 'em up once (trial and error), and from then on, they just work. Makes deflating to a precise pressure a snap. Sure nice to get back in the truck and let them work their magic when temps are in the 90's and the sun is beating down. Ordered mine from Australia in '05, but I think a U.S. company has picked up the product now. Still available on Amazon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts