Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Cool Beans..... you could spend a whole month just checking out all of those great Nat'l Parks in Utah. Glad you had fun.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Lived in SLC, Utah area for 2.5 years and my one regret is only having made it to Bryce Canyon for 1 day and it snowed, and having spent about 7-10 days in Zion (a few long weekends). I never made it to Arches, Canyonlands or Capital Reef.

I will say this to those in Southern California, Zion is only about a day drive and it is a great place to visit in the fall

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I've been to Bryce Canyon and Zion, but I had the best time staying in a funky motor in just outside Capitol Reef. Be sure to head out at night, away from all the light pollution, seeing the milky way in person is my favorite memory from all of my Utah trips.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've been to Bryce Canyon and Zion, but I had the best time staying in a funky motor in just outside Capitol Reef. Be sure to head out at night, away from all the light pollution, seeing the milky way in person is my favorite memory from all of my Utah trips.
Wonderful images Robert! Your talent as a professional photographer is clearly evident.

Quick question for you: when uploading files, what settings are you using? I've noticed your images occupy more real estate and with greater detail than others. With resolution set to max on the phone camera, I've been using the original file size and letting the network control compression when transferring to this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Thanks, Utah is amazing and there is so much to see. Hope to go back again.

I resized the photos to 1,000 pixels in the longest dimension in Photo Mechanic before uploading. It makes the upload a lot quicker and looks fine for casual viewing. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coolbob - I like your night shot. That was one of my plans, but the weather did not cooperate the entire trip it seems, and as I only had two nights there, that was that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Beautiful pics! HDR?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I really want to get back to Capital Reef, but I did get to visit a friend in Phoenix AZ in February. There's lots of great places to shoot in the area. The milky Way wasn't visible at that time of year, but we got out one night and shot some night sky photos anyway.

I left my professional Nikon gear at home on this trip and traveled light (for a photographer) I only brought my Fuji X-T1, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Fuji 18mm, 35mm and 56mm lenses.

(sorry for the watermarks, there are a lot of lowlifes that copy/paste/profit from other people's work, at least with a watermark they can't plead ignorance when you sue them)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
A couple of other photos from AZ

Attachments

Reactions: Carsmak and OhSix

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Very Coolbob.... so a novice question: How do you get the quick shutter speed (stop motion) with that low light, in the fisherman casting on the pier at sunset photo???

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Thankfully, every photo shot with a digital camera contains EXIF (exchangeable image file format) data that records the camera settings. Between that data and my feeble memory I can figure out what I was doing/thinking when the photo was shot. EXIF data is every extensive, but here's a snapshot of the EXIF highlights from the sunset photo.

I mostly shoot in aperture priority, it's so much faster than manual mode and I tend to shoot at either extreme of the aperture range for maximum or minimum depth of field. In this case I had set the aperture to f22 for maximum depth of field. F22 is a pinhole opening on the lens aperture, so the ISO was jacked up to 2,000ISO, leaving the shutter speed at 1/60. The sky was coming out a bit light and I wanted the boy to be in silhouette, so -1.7-stops of exposure compensation was dialed in. In hindsight, f11 would have been sufficient and would have given an ISO of 1,000 and a shutter speed of 1/125...better choices all around, but you often have to make snap decisions to be sure to capture the moment. :)

I see that I shot this with a 10-24mm zoom which I had forgotten I took with me on this trip.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Are any of those shots done in HDR?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Are any of those shots done in HDR?
I've shot lots of bracketed exposures and tried several methods of bending exposures for HDR, but I'm usually disappointed in the results. I prefer my photos to look more normal, so I shoot to barely capture an acceptable level of highlight detail and do a good bit of shadow recovery on the RAW files to get the tones where I like them. Occasionally I'll process a single RAW file multiple times and output each rendition as a .jpg and then combine the best of each .jpg file into one image.

Here's a shot from last night, I processed the RAW file once to get the trees looking their best, then again for a good color balance on the building, then a third time for a good color balance on the tower (the lights on the tower are a different color than all the other lights). I combined all three renditions into one .jpg. file. I have darker exposures where the clock face is readable and the moon is better defined, I tried adding the detail from these darker exposures to this composite, but didn't like the results as much as this image. :)

It's all about whatever you like, as photographer, you're the boss! :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
You do nice work. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts