Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues while using a standard filling station nozzle and the capless fuel filer? I was refilling at a station recently and when the pump kicked off it wouldn't let me add any additional fuel. I knew it was not full, I waited a few seconds tried again, no luck.

Gave up, got in the car and started it up, 3/4 full.

This is probably my 10th time refueling since I have had the truck. Zero previous issues. I am going to try going to another station after work today to see if I can fill it up the rest of the way. Thus eliminating the station I was at being the issue.

· Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,172 Posts
Could be an EVAP system failure. Filling the tank requires venting of the displaced air in the tank. A clogged or malfunction in the EVAP system will cause venting though the filler neck. This pushes fuel up the neck and shuts off the filler pump. If it happens again scan for EVAP system errors.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This same situation has been reported by C7 Corvette owners, also a cap-less fuel filler vehicle. Responses suggest rotating the nozzle handle up 90 to 180 degrees and/or pulling the nozzle out of the filler a few inches.
Interesting, It says around the cap - "Do not turn" So I am reluctant to try that with the nozzle. I did try pulling out a few inches and no dice. Hoping it was just the pump system at the station. Thank you for the info

· Registered
344 Posts
Interesting, It says around the cap - "Do not turn" So I am reluctant to try that with the nozzle. I did try pulling out a few inches and no dice. Hoping it was just the pump system at the station. Thank you for the info
I think the Do Not Turn refers to the filler since it has a drain at the bottom, not the fuel pump nozzle. That's how I've interpreted it.

Mike

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I had an issue one time and it seemed that it was just because the nozzle was not inserted far enough, it worked fine after that. Have capless on the RL and our Odyssey and never had an issue with that. Hopefully it is just a fluke one off where that pump had an issue.

· Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,330 Posts
I pull my gas pumps nozzle almost all the way out, just leaving about a inch or so in the filler neck, no problems getting full. If you do overfill it, the inside of the door is slanted inward, with drain holes, so gas doesn't go all over your truck.

· Registered
644 Posts
I had one of New Jersey's Fuel Transfer Technicians fill my tank this afternoon and there was no problem at all. Fueling is a dangerous job you should definitely leave to the professionals.
It's not just a good idea, it's the law! (In Jersey and Oregon I think)
Not sure if serious.

Have elevator attendants too? Pushing the right floor button is critical business as well!

· Registered
34 Posts
I had one of New Jersey's Fuel Transfer Technicians fill my tank this afternoon and there was no problem at all. Fueling is a dangerous job you should definitely leave to the professionals.
It's not just a good idea, it's the law! (In Jersey and Oregon I think)
As well as the entire town of Huntington, New York. I have no idea why our local government does not trust us to refuel our own vehicles!

· Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
185 Posts
In my state of Illinois it's legal (typically no option of having an attendant do it for you) to run the Gas Station Fuel Pump yourself. I've witnessed all manner of careless stupidity by persons filling their vehicles and fuel cans (or a facsimile thereof). They act as if they're fiddle-farting with water versus a very flammable liquid. As for filling my '20 RL, no troubles so far in >26k miles now.

· Registered
644 Posts
I can confirm that in Oregon...and their serious about it! 🤭
Understood that mandatory fuel “help” is indeed a thing, and serious, in some states. I’ve been through NJ and experienced it.
Just hard to tell if there was any sarcasm in actually wanting or enjoying such help. I personally found it odd that I couldn’t be trusted to fuel my vehicle on a turnpike stop. After pumping gas my whole driving lifetime, having a mandate to spend more for someone else to do it makes me wonder what drives the decision. I could speculate and derail the thread further, but won’t.

I managed to aid the derailment of the OPs intention for this thread. I have no input on the fuel shut off issue. I haven’t experienced a capless fuel filler yet with our vehicles.

· Registered
988 Posts
I've lived in New Jersey my entire life. Not being able to pump your own gas is far down the list of annoying things here. You missed the runny egg kerfuffle. Even the governor broke that law.
I've been a motorcyclist since I got my license 50 years ago. The attendants always just hand the pump to me to fill my own tank. Same with the boat. Apparently its only the cars that are dangerous.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts