Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a vehicle for sale that shows "no accidents" but has a damage report on the carfax.
Who reports damage to carfax and why?
Also, carfax says, all damage is not the result of an accident, so does that mean they damaged it on purpose :) ??

Reactions: oarnold

·
Administrator
15,236 Posts
Looking at a vehicle for sale that shows "no accidents" but has a damage report on the carfax.
Who reports damage to carfax and why?
Insurance companies and police departments.

Also, carfax says, all damage is not the result of an accident, so does that mean they damaged it on purpose :) ??
Hail, tornado, fire, vandalism, rodent damage... Anything that may involve a police report or insurance claim, but was not the result of an "accident" (collision with another vehicle or stationary object).

I had a Civic that was vandalized. I paid cash for the repair and was reimbursed by the vandal. Months later and after I traded the car in, the damage appeared on CARFAX who got it from public police records.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I've never seen a carfax that shows specific body repairs. They report brakes and tires and such, but not body repairs.

Reactions: Seasonal

·
Administrator
15,236 Posts
Also, I've never seen a carfax that shows specific body repairs. They report brakes and tires and such, but not body repairs.
There's some marketing motivation behind that. CARFAX is biased toward selling vehicles rather than scaring people away from buying them. Notice they downplay certain types of entries with notes such as "not all damage is from accidents" or "millions of vehicles are purchased every year from auctions". When someone sees that tires, brakes, batteries have been replaced, they think, "Oh, good! This car has been well-maintained". If they see an itemized list consisting of a hood, grill, radiator, bumper, wiring harness, condensor, horn, headlight, fog light, fender, etc., they think, "Oh, no! This car must have been in a really bad wreck!"

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Here is a teaching lesson for all owners of any motor vehicle regarding CARFAX reports.
The short version is this. My daughter and my wife (RN's who work at the same hospital) were driving our newly purchased pre-owned 2018 Subaru Outback on the highway to work. They were exiting the highway, when a guy in a pickup truck, cut in right behind them and barely scratched the driver's side rear bumper.

My wife and daughter were so upset that they called the police without really looking at the damage to our vehicle. I do not think they would have been so upset, but we had only owned the vehicle for a little over a week. The officer came out and made a report. No insurance claim was made and the police never found the offender. I was able to buff out the scratch and it looks brand new right now. I guess the police report was sent to CARFAX.

Here is what our CARFAX report now looks like on the vehicle and the trade-in value has dropped by about $6K. I guess it is a good thing my wife loves the Outback because we won't be trading out of it. The value of the vehicle is reduced by $2K because of the accident and there is a local market adjustment downward of $4K because of the carfax report.
Carvana.PNG

My point is - be careful what type of incidents you report because it could come back to bite you. We would have been far better off not even reporting the "accident." I am not even sure why the incident shows up twice. The wheel lug nut was replaced on 03/03/2018 because the stud broke when changing a tire. Subaru's are notorious for that.

Outback carfax.PNG

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
395 Posts
Carfax reports cut both ways for sure.

If a car was in an accident that did damage that would affect the vehicle forever, then it's a plus to know about it.
But if the vehicle was in a fender bender, it's meaningless and really destroys trade in value.

Which of course happen to me, I was hit in a parking lot, very low speed, scuffed up bumper, and of course it showed up on Carfax and when I traded in my truck, I was screwed because of it.

If Carfax really cared about what they were doing, there would be more accurate reporting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a teaching lesson for all owners of any motor vehicle regarding CARFAX reports.
The short version is this. My daughter and my wife (RN's who work at the same hospital) were driving our newly purchased pre-owned 2018 Subaru Outback on the highway to work. They were exiting the highway, when a guy in a pickup truck, cut in right behind them and barely scratched the driver's side rear bumper.

My wife and daughter were so upset that they called the police without really looking at the damage to our vehicle. I do not think they would have been so upset, but we had only owned the vehicle for a little over a week. The officer came out and made a report. No insurance claim was made and the police never found the offender. I was able to buff out the scratch and it looks brand new right now. I guess the police report was sent to CARFAX.

Here is what our CARFAX report now looks like on the vehicle and the trade-in value has dropped by about $6K. I guess it is a good thing my wife loves the Outback because we won't be trading out of it. The value of the vehicle is reduced by $2K because of the accident and there is a local market adjustment downward of $4K because of the carfax report. View attachment 404198

My point is - be careful what type of incidents you report because it could come back to bite you. We would have been far better off not even reporting the "accident." I am not even sure why the incident shows up twice. The wheel lug nut was replaced on 03/03/2018 because the stud broke when changing a tire. Subaru's are notorious for that.

View attachment 404197
Allow me to be annoyed on your behalf. Wondering if records are required by law to be made public? And that would include your vin#. Or does the police department profit by selling the info? I've always thought photographing the accident damage to your car can be beneficial when you sell to the extent the buyer would have some clarity.
I think you can request carfax to add details such as minor damage reported or even no damage reported.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
211 Posts
The value of the vehicle is reduced by $2K because of the accident and there is a local market adjustment downward of $4K because of the carfax report.
I'm perplexed at the -$4,000 "local market adjustment" for a SUBARU in COLORADO!

Colorado is one of Subaru's top markets...

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I found the picture of the $6K worth of damage to our Outback.

outback damage.jpeg

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
492 Posts

View attachment 404210
Unbelievable. I don't see any creases or stress cracks. Was there damage underneath? If not, I bet 99% of that would wipe off with a mild, clear coat safe polish...or possibly WD40 on a micro fiber towel. I can't believe a body shop would try to pull $6k out of that.
EDIT: I just read your earlier post. Wasn't $6k in damage, but $6k in trade-in value.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

View attachment 404210
That's more than a quarter of the value of your car. Last time I had an oil change at the dealer, I noticed when I got home the mileage on my receipt was off by 5000 miles. The dealer was able to make a change to the carfax so the mileage wouldn't appear as a rollback or incorrect in anyway. I figured that could impact value.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Unbelievable. I don't see any creases or stress cracks. Was there damage underneath? If not, I bet 99% of that would wipe off with a mild, clear coat safe polish...or possibly WD40 on a micro fiber towel. I can't believe a body shop would try to pull $6k out of that.
EDIT: I just read your earlier post. Wasn't $6k in damage, but $6k in trade-in value.
Here is what it looked like after I used the orbital buffer on it. No evidence of the small scrape. My wife said, "We will just give it to one of our kids, if we ever need another vehicle, since it is no longer worth anything. Finally, something to keep you from trading vehicles."

outback new.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Here is what it looks like after I used the orbital buffer on it. No evidence of the small scrape. My wife said, "We will just give it to one of our kids, if we ever need another vehicle."

View attachment 404211
But as life sometimes goes, I went out to take the above "after" picture so you guys could see how good it cleaned up. My wife did not get the car into the garage far enough, and when I pushed the button to open the garage door, I heard this scraping sound. It was the metal on the bottom of the garage door scraping the back edge of the bumper. Evidently it scraped on the way down when she closed it and on the way up when I opened it. You just cannot make this stuff up. At least it won't rust!
outback scratch.jpg

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
492 Posts
Here is what it looked like after I used the orbital buffer on it. No evidence of the small scrape. My wife said, "We will just give it to one of our kids, if we ever need another vehicle, since it is no longer worth anything. Finally, something to keep you from trading vehicles."

View attachment 404211
But as life sometimes goes, I went out to take the above "after" picture so you guys could see how good it cleaned up. My wife did not get the car into the garage far enough, and when I pushed the button to open the garage door, I heard this scraping sound. It was the metal on the bottom of the garage door scraping the back edge of the bumper. Evidently it scraped on the way down when she closed it and on the way up when I opened it. You just cannot make this stuff up. At least it won't rust! View attachment 404212
Well, now the trade-in value is down $12k! hahahahaha. if you're ready to sell, I have cash LOL!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
140 Posts
In May 2017 my Acura TL suffered $12,000 in body damage from 9 minutes of spiky golf-ball size chunks of ice falling from above. Trashed the roof, hood, and trunk along with all pillars and tops of the fenders. However, the glass held up (surprised!) and there was no interior intrusion which, the adjuster said, would have totaled it (it was all repaired very skillfully seven months later).

So how was it reported to CarFax? Minor front-end damage, airbags not deployed. So whoever bought that car has no clue that most of the body work from the doors up had been replaced, and most of the paint job blended.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,921 Posts
I came here to get some serious information from you guys, instead I laughed at almost half the thread. @Sparkland , sorry man, my laughter was at your expense. I actually cracked up.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I came here to get some serious information from you guys, instead I laughed at almost half the thread. @Sparkland , sorry man, my laughter was at your expense. I actually cracked up.
I will let you settle down today and get yourself under control before I share the third part of this garage door attack on the Outback. Maybe I should just leave the garage door open at night and let the neighbors help themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,169 Posts
There's these things near the "Garage" @Sparkland, called driveways, it may be safer to leave the Outback there ;)

I'm actually awaiting Round #3... :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts