Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
I will let you settle down today and get yourself under control before I share the third part of this garage door attack on the Outback. Maybe I should just leave the garage door open at night and let the neighbors help themselves.
I felt bad, then I laughed. Then I felt bad again because I laughed. Just like @Carsmak , I am eager for Round 3 details.

Super Moderator
Enough of the suspense, as I can't leave you guys hanging all day. To be fair to my wife, we have a small two garage and I have taken up most of it with all of my tools (many of which I inherited from my dad), one refrigerator, and one freezer (which she wanted out of the kitchen).

We have been parking only the Outback in the garage. since the other bay has been filled up with "projects." Because of that, she usually parks a bit sideways so a passenger can get in/out when the car is in the garage. That defeats the purpose of the laser beam we have installed, which pinpoints the exact spot the car should be in, to avoid hitting the freezer in front, the refrigerator on the right front corner, and having the rear of the vehicle in far enough to clear the garage door. She did pretty good with that setup.

Simply put, we had another garage door mishap. Somehow the hatch of the Subaru was left open, or opened from a pocket push (similar to pocket dialing) and the auto-timer on the garage door closed the garage door on the hatch and scraped some more paint off.

I guess we could eliminate the door opener and go to manual open/close. My wife would love that. Haha. Anyway, I'll need to purchase another bottle of touch-up paint as I can't afford to get this professionally repaired, when most likely it will happen again. This Outback is a bit larger than the Camry she used to have and a little higher, making it more difficult to see over the hood.

Minor problem in the scheme of things, but I could not believe how proud I was of the first "buffing out" repair after that 2-accident Carfax fiasco, only to see a giant scrape in nearly the same area of the car, and then to find a second one a day later. Wow.

Thanks.

Attachments

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Oh man, moving forward, the comments are going to be fun fun fun. I cant wait!! Keep it up guys, time to roast this Mod :) :) :)

Registered
Don't change what you have stored in your garage. The easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy solution:

2d1c
: ^ )

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
In California, it's always amazing to me, to see what people store "in the garage" while $50k-$100k worth of vehicles are on the driveway.

@Sparkland time to clean out the Garage and at a minimum make the wives car and it's access to the garage a priority. Cause you know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy..."

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
In California, it's always amazing to me, to see what people store "in the garage" while $50k-$100k worth of vehicles are on the driveway.

@Sparkland time to clean out the Garage and at a minimum make the wives car and it's access to the garage a priority. Cause you know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy..."
I used to frequent NYC and Philly due to work and I have seen Ferraris and Bentlys parked along the curb. The worst was a Bentayga which can average mid 200K parked at the end of the street with its rear bumper almost in the crosswalk in NYC at around 1am with no one inside or around it.

Super Moderator
Well, now the trade-in value is down $12k! hahahahaha. if you're ready to sell, I have cash LOL!
Round 4 - the Outback is now worth less than a 10-year old Civic.

Attempted to update the infotainment software (which I have done twice before) via WiFi, when promoted by the vehicle. Update failed and it said the unit would shutoff after 67 seconds. It shut off and never came back on. Totally dark with no signs of life (no radio, no cd, no backup camera). Taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. Other owners have had this issue, but not all.

Then today, the battery was dead after being replaced under warranty 6 months ago.

My wife is missing her flawless 2012 Camry Hybrid.

Reactions: zroger73

Registered
Hmmm, would she consider driving your RL, so you can trade the Outback for another RL that would be yours?
His and Hers RL :cool:
;)

Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
Round 4 - the Outback is now worth less than a 10-year old Civic.

Attempted to update the infotainment software (which I have done twice before) via WiFi, when promoted by the vehicle. Update failed and it said the unit would shutoff after 67 seconds. It shut off and never came back on. Totally dark with no signs of life (no radio, no cd, no backup camera). Taking it to the dealer on Wednesday. Other owners have had this issue, but not all.

Then today, the battery was dead after being replaced under warranty 6 months ago.

My wife is missing her flawless 2012 Camry Hybrid.
Do any of the auto manufacturers have an infotainment system that actually works...all of the time (most of the time)? Friends with U-Connect (Chrysler) complain about their systems crashing. Friend with a 17 Buick Lacrosse, simple interface, but says it fails to connect sometimes and the screen freezes. Another friend has an 18 Crosstrek, he's having connectivity issues and trouble with the screen freezing. Programming and software issues aside, IMO, I think that vibrations and the temperature extremes inside a vehicle play a big role in these systems reliability/performance.

Administrator
Do any of the auto manufacturers have an infotainment system that actually works...all of the time (most of the time)? Friends with U-Connect (Chrysler) complain about their systems crashing. Friend with a 17 Buick Lacrosse, simple interface, but says it fails to connect sometimes and the screen freezes. Another friend has an 18 Crosstrek, he's having connectivity issues and trouble with the screen freezing. Programming and software issues aside, IMO, I think that vibrations and the temperature extremes inside a vehicle play a big role in these systems reliability/performance.
Automotive infotainment systems are a hot mess. The hardware is fairly robust - it's built differently to withstand years or decades of extreme heat, cold, humidity, and vibration. One of the biggest challenges is that every make, model, and trim of automobile has different infotainment system software and hardware resulting in a large number of combinations. Such systems are a nightmare for developers. Typically, only the most critical bugs are addressed such as those that may result in a violation of safety standards.

Super Moderator
Yep, the Tesla like screens are popular right now from outfits that get them all from China. Here's a link to Aliexpress for some of them.

Also, some of them available in the US (Phoenix automotive) do have some advantage for the warranty (think USA for repairs not shipped to China).
I've seen a number of these put into Cadillacs including the SRX like we have. And actually it's a good replacement for all those CUE screens that keep breaking down. Which is a bad deal. And the CUE repairs at a GM dealership run $1600 as they swap the whole unit out and send them to a refurbish facility.

Steve

Super Moderator
Chapter 5 The Outback is approaching junk status. My wife took the Outback to work last night after we used the jump pack on it. She drove it home (it started at her work - seems crazy to call a hospital an office, so I did not) this morning and it sat in the garage all day. Got in the car this evening to go back to work, and the battery is completely dead! No ticking, no dash lights, nothing.

But, on a positive note the infotainment screen came roaring back to life!! It was nice enough to notify me that there was an update available. Haha Still taking it to the dealer tomorrow, this time for the battery problem.

***Update: the dealer seems to think the two separate software updates will solve both issues - the dead head unit and the battery discharging. I will let you know tomorrow. The Subaru dealer pulled the same trick they did last time - made the appointment for today and when I get there they said the car won't be looked at until tomorrow. I was thinking to myself, "Then why did I bring it in today?" Whenever I take my automobile to the Toyota or Honda dealer, my car is worked on the same day that I make the appointment. They said each software update would take around 1 hr 30 minutes. Again, I was thinking, "Do they use dial-up internet here at Subaru?"

21 - 35 of 35 Posts