Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sorry I am brand new and the thought of looking through 250+ pages to see if this has been addressed was not making happening. When I drop the tailgate the cargo lights flash on for a second then go off, they flash on about halfway open. However, if I swing the gate open the lights activate and stay on fine. Thoughts? Is there a sensor somewhere I may have gummed up with shiz?

thanks guys (and gals I guess).

·
Registered
452 Posts
The lights don't come on when you drop the tailgate down. They should come on though when you swing the tailgate open.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Papabrounch

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yup only when you swing it open or open the trunk. The switch inside the cabin can turn them on but yeah it's a pain when you don't need it on for that long.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My lights come on intermittently when I drop the tailgate also. If I'm standing on it or am pushing a heavy object into the bed they will flash on and off.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Maybe a pinched wire at the left lower (swing open) hinge? Do wires for light activation go through there? That's a spot that gets lots of 'exercise' which could conceivably wear out wiring if routing is not just right. Otherwise, sounds like an intermittent activation switch, wherever that is.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Confirmed that lights only come on when you swing open the tailgate and do not when you drop it in the traditional fashion. At least, that's the way it's been in my 07 for the last five years that I've owned it.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The switch for the cargo lights is pressed in by the aluminum casting on the bottom-right of the tailgate (where the steel cable wraps around for the spring assist). This casting stays in place when you drop it in tailgate mode, so the switch stays pushed in.

If you're seeing the light flash, it could be some corrosion built up inside the switch, or the switch position could be a little out of alignment.

The switch is #1, and the casting with the spring (hinge set) is #57 in this diagram.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RIDGELINE&catcgry2=2012&catcgry3=4DR+RTL&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=TAILGATE

I have no idea why the switch is $100. Just no reason for it.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The switch for the cargo lights is pressed in by the aluminum casting on the bottom-right of the tailgate (where the steel cable wraps around for the spring assist). This casting stays in place when you drop it in tailgate mode, so the switch stays pushed in.

If you're seeing the light flash, it could be some corrosion built up inside the switch, or the switch position could be a little out of alignment.

The switch is #1, and the casting with the spring (hinge set) is #57 in this diagram.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RIDGELINE&catcgry2=2012&catcgry3=4DR+RTL&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=TAILGATE

I have no idea why the switch is $100. Just no reason for it.

Chip H.
It's only $75., (list price $108) but agree it's a bit much.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
$75-100 for a switch?? No thanks. Junkyard? Ebay?

·
Registered
2009 Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, delayed but appreciate it, there was some gunk in there causing the switch to stay pushed in, cleaned it out with gasket cleaner and works good now, weird that doesn't stay on with gate down though? I guess for hauling with it down but would seem better just to turn off with the switch in those instances and have them stay on otherwise, oh well.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
There is also an optional shim for the plunger switch so it makes better contract. I ordered the shims and found there were already 4 there. So that is how they have been correcting the problem at the factory, but obviously they did not always fix it so now it is up to us to shim it more if needed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey sorry I am brand new and the thought of looking through 250+ pages to see if this has been addressed was not making happening. When I drop the tailgate the cargo lights flash on for a second then go off, they flash on about halfway open. However, if I swing the gate open the lights activate and stay on fine. Thoughts? Is there a sensor somewhere I may have gummed up with shiz?

There is also an optional shim for the plunger switch so it makes better contract. I ordered the shims and found there were already 4 there. So that is how they have been correcting the problem at the factory, but obviously they did not always fix it so now it is up to us to shim it more if needed!

Cargo Lights “ON”
Don’t know about the other model years but on the 2012 RTS when the tailgate is dropped down the cargo lights (are) designed to come on. The cargo lights are activated by the same sensor that indicates on the dash that the tailgate is down. When the Transmission is switched out of “park” the cargo lights go out but the “tailgate down” dash indicator stays illuminated. This design let’s you drive with the tailgate down but with the cargo lights off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts