Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent 2 Hour road trip, CarPlay completely disconnected on my iPhone 11 five times while music was playing. I typically am listening to XM so this was the first time I had listened to my music library through CarPlay in this vehicle For an extended period of time. I had to remove and re-insert the cable into either end in order for it to sync back up. Something to have looked at or should I first just try a different cable? I will admit I am just using an aftermarket lightning cable as I rarely use the cable that comes with the phone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That happens to me pretty regularly. Though I haven’t done extensive testing, I think it happens more when I’m using the iPhone’s GPS/maps on the phone. It could be just coincidence, but it seems to be most likely to happen when a turn is approaching on the GPS directions.

I also have an iPhone 11 (the big one), but have experienced the issue with 3 generations of phone. So I don’t know if it’s a persistent bug in iOS or if the Honda’s Android based system is to blame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, this is frustrating. I'm surprised not more are chiming in if this is actually a "feature" of carplay (bug rather) and not fixable in the ridgelines with any phone or any cable due to conflicts with Android (I hate Honda's old slow interface, figures it is Android) and I would agree I typically use GPS plus music on long trips and this only seems to happen with music and GPS going at once, not just GPS (I will just try music no GPS next time).

Seems like a big problem, just wondering if it's Honda's or Apple's fault.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That happens to me pretty regularly. Though I haven’t done extensive testing, I think it happens more when I’m using the iPhone’s GPS/maps on the phone. It could be just coincidence, but it seems to be most likely to happen when a turn is approaching on the GPS directions.

I also have an iPhone 11 (the big one), but have experienced the issue with 3 generations of phone. So I don’t know if it’s a persistent bug in iOS or if the Honda’s Android based system is to blame.
Same issue here. Sometimes it just freezes even using different cables. Bluetooth can be equally frustrating. The problem is not with iOS but rather with the fact the software is really old, not optimized and not updated android. It is a old tablet you are plugging into and that software is from 2016ish.

Honda doesn’t bother maintaining or updated their infotainment systems. I also have a 2019 passport that will occasionally freeze completely and only fix is pulling associated fuse to reset head unit or keeping a usb connected keyboard in car and basically control alt delete resetting it.

Sadly I think you’ll just have to deal with it and accept it as Honda really doesn’t care about updating it. I have contacted dealer and Honda (multiple times). Each time is met with “we will look into improving the interface in future models”.

Nothing like a infotainment system freezing mid travel in middle of changing interstates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Carplay occasionally drops out on my truck as well, maybe 2-3 times a week. Sometimes you can restore it by unplugging the phone and other times I have to wait until I stop somewhere and cut the engine off(or pull in, park and restart).

Cables don't seem to matter, I've used 2 different(and new) Apple cables and an Amazon Basics(also new).

I think it's probably a combination of both manufacturers, Carplay has been a red-headed stepchild for Apple since it was introduced and vehicle manufacturers aren't interested in throwing development time at something they've already sold.

Isn't it great to be a consumer these days??? :confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bums me out a little bit. Probably if I’d read this thread I’d have more strongly considered the GM canyon. I am a tech guy and dislike that my 2019 (heck 2020 for some of you) is 5 years behind in tech. I know a car is more than its infotainment system, however it’s likely the most used feature on the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bums me out a little bit. Probably if I’d read this thread I’d have more strongly considered the GM canyon. I am a tech guy and dislike that my 2019 (heck 2020 for some of you) is 5 years behind in tech. I know a car is more than its infotainment system, however it’s likely the most used feature on the dash.
My brother bought a Canyon Denali the same time I bought a Ridgeline RTL-E. He wanted a "truck". It took about 4 month before he decided he made the wrong decision. His wireless phone charger didn't work with Apple. The tech in his truck is no better than mine. I am also a "tech guy" and am so irritated with the carplay drops as well. I drive 70 miles to work daily and it drops on some trips about 4 times. Some days it works fine. For a small truck you made the right move. Everyone who has been in my truck loves it. Anyone who drives it says its the smoothest, nicest ride in a truck other than the air suspension of the Ram Limited my brother got after he traded in his Canyon. Even my brothers new Ram drops the carplay at times so I'm starting to wonder if it is manufacturers head units that are the problem or the transfer of data and power through the cables that glitch out at times. Hopefully in the coming years we will get wireless carplay which should eliminate this issue. I've spent a lot of time in my brothers Canyon and can assure you that you made the right choice with the Ridgeline unless you were planning on towing 4-5k often. My truck is peppy, gets great gas mileage, is comfortable, has a ton of storage, and takes a lot of miles with little to no maintenance. I like the driver assist features too with all the driving I do. I really only responded to your thread because of the Canyon/Ridgeline battle my brother and I had. I'm still working with my dealership to get to the bottom of the carplay drops and if/when I do I will post it on this site.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CarPlay is a application and applications often have bugs. Do a search and you'll find regardless which car has CarPlay, it disconnects. It has nothing to do with the Ridgeline.

CarPlay disconnects in our Alltrack and the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Carplay has problems. It works for the most part. That's about it. Apple knows and is working slowly on it.
I've had issues with every carplay system in rental cars I've ever driven. Some are worse and annoying to use than others. The ones that were really annoying I don't let them sync and just use the 12v charger plug instead.

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Carplay has problems. It works for the most part. That's about it. Apple knows and is working slowly on it.
I've had issues with every carplay system in rental cars I've ever driven. Some are worse and annoying to use than others. The ones that were really annoying I don't let them sync and just use the 12v charger plug instead.

Steve
Drops seem pretty normal for me as well but not at the frequency of several a day, maybe one or two a week. Usually I find that my 8+ is resting on the cable or plug. Relocating it to where there is no strain on the cable/connector helps. Yesterday's issue was app related with Waze. Kept freezing but Carplay was working. Had to flip over to Google maps for Waze to wake up and become active. I would love to see Carplay become fully functional via BT and get rid of the need for a hard wired connection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother bought a Canyon Denali the same time I bought a Ridgeline RTL-E. He wanted a "truck". It took about 4 month before he decided he made the wrong decision.
Appreciate the response re: The Canyon. In my research I determined there was no "perfect truck" but Honda checked more boxes than othes so I jumped in. It's a shame these little things happen (though in other posts it seems airplay is the problem maybe not this 5 year old head unit android OS) though it's also a shame that car companies can't fix some of these things to make the perfect vehicle. I suppose when it comes to things like better resolution on screens and cameras, and faster processing, every dollar counts and the cheaper the better, though it sort of gives the car an overall cheaper feel as well when you're not keeping up with the competition IMHO. Still satisfied with the vehicle, just frustrated with a few of its shortcomings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The issue isn't so much with Apple, as it is the implementation of the product by the vehicle manufacturers. There are no standards when it comes to the infotainment segment everyone wants to put their spin on how things are done. I, too am in tech and see this all the time, some things work better than others and sometimes things don't work at all. Very frustrating, but that's technology. Rumors have that Apple will release the ability to use your phone as the key to your vehicle in the next update to iOS. I bet you won't see it for any of the current RL's as that would require too much effort on Honda's part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The issue isn't so much with Apple, as it is the implementation of the product by the vehicle manufacturers. There are no standards when it comes to the infotainment segment everyone wants to put their spin on how things are done. I, too am in tech and see this all the time, some things work better than others and sometimes things don't work at all. Very frustrating, but that's technology. Rumors have that Apple will release the ability to use your phone as the key to your vehicle in the next update to iOS. I bet you won't see it for any of the current RL's as that would require too much effort on Honda's part.
Yes it is. CarPlay is a standard.

If CarPlay fails in every car it's in then it's an Apple problem. Everyone else is wrong and Apple is right? If true, Apple still needs to address the problem and ensure manufacturer are doing the implementation right. Apple is licensing CarPlay to manufacturers they have an obligation to ensure it's implemented right. I haven't been in a car yet with CarPlay that hasn't disconnected.

No, I don't want my phone as a car key either. I want to use my phone as a phone. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Why are people so apologetic about Apple? Their products are getting steadily worse in the 20 years I've used them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it is. CarPlay is a standard.

If CarPlay fails in every car it's in then it's an Apple problem. Everyone else is wrong and Apple is right? If true, Apple still needs to address the problem and ensure manufacturer are doing the implementation right. Apple is licensing CarPlay to manufacturers they have an obligation to ensure it's implemented right. I haven't been in a car yet with CarPlay that hasn't disconnected.

No, I don't want my phone as a car key either. I want to use my phone as a phone. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Why are people so apologetic about Apple? Their products are getting steadily worse in the 20 years I've used them.
I've never had a disconnect, in any of the cars (Ridgeline, Mazda6, Camry, Chevrolet Silverado, CRV, CX5) in which I've used CarPlay. Must be clean living.:cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a kenwood head unit in my old Tundra with Carplay. It would disconnect so frequently when I first got it that I gave up on Carplay. After a few months they came out with a firmware update and it was much better but still occasionally had issues. After another update a couple of years after release it would typically last for at least an hour, but if I went on a long road trip it would almost always disconnect at least once. Between the annoying message at every startup that would never go away without tapping the small button in the middle of the screen and the software bugs I wouldn't want another one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
More often than not it's the cable. Buy a new apple cable and see if the problem goes away. It did for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts