Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

CarPlay disconnects

23K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  Tim_D 
#1 ·
On a recent 2 Hour road trip, CarPlay completely disconnected on my iPhone 11 five times while music was playing. I typically am listening to XM so this was the first time I had listened to my music library through CarPlay in this vehicle For an extended period of time. I had to remove and re-insert the cable into either end in order for it to sync back up. Something to have looked at or should I first just try a different cable? I will admit I am just using an aftermarket lightning cable as I rarely use the cable that comes with the phone.

#2 ·
That happens to me pretty regularly. Though I haven’t done extensive testing, I think it happens more when I’m using the iPhone’s GPS/maps on the phone. It could be just coincidence, but it seems to be most likely to happen when a turn is approaching on the GPS directions.

I also have an iPhone 11 (the big one), but have experienced the issue with 3 generations of phone. So I don’t know if it’s a persistent bug in iOS or if the Honda’s Android based system is to blame.

#4 ·
That happens to me pretty regularly. Though I haven’t done extensive testing, I think it happens more when I’m using the iPhone’s GPS/maps on the phone. It could be just coincidence, but it seems to be most likely to happen when a turn is approaching on the GPS directions.

I also have an iPhone 11 (the big one), but have experienced the issue with 3 generations of phone. So I don’t know if it’s a persistent bug in iOS or if the Honda’s Android based system is to blame.
Same issue here. Sometimes it just freezes even using different cables. Bluetooth can be equally frustrating. The problem is not with iOS but rather with the fact the software is really old, not optimized and not updated android. It is a old tablet you are plugging into and that software is from 2016ish.

Honda doesn’t bother maintaining or updated their infotainment systems. I also have a 2019 passport that will occasionally freeze completely and only fix is pulling associated fuse to reset head unit or keeping a usb connected keyboard in car and basically control alt delete resetting it.

Sadly I think you’ll just have to deal with it and accept it as Honda really doesn’t care about updating it. I have contacted dealer and Honda (multiple times). Each time is met with “we will look into improving the interface in future models”.

Nothing like a infotainment system freezing mid travel in middle of changing interstates.

#3 ·
Hmmm, this is frustrating. I'm surprised not more are chiming in if this is actually a "feature" of carplay (bug rather) and not fixable in the ridgelines with any phone or any cable due to conflicts with Android (I hate Honda's old slow interface, figures it is Android) and I would agree I typically use GPS plus music on long trips and this only seems to happen with music and GPS going at once, not just GPS (I will just try music no GPS next time).

Seems like a big problem, just wondering if it's Honda's or Apple's fault.

#5 ·
Carplay occasionally drops out on my truck as well, maybe 2-3 times a week. Sometimes you can restore it by unplugging the phone and other times I have to wait until I stop somewhere and cut the engine off(or pull in, park and restart).

Cables don't seem to matter, I've used 2 different(and new) Apple cables and an Amazon Basics(also new).

I think it's probably a combination of both manufacturers, Carplay has been a red-headed stepchild for Apple since it was introduced and vehicle manufacturers aren't interested in throwing development time at something they've already sold.

Isn't it great to be a consumer these days??? :confused:

#6 ·
Bums me out a little bit. Probably if I’d read this thread I’d have more strongly considered the GM canyon. I am a tech guy and dislike that my 2019 (heck 2020 for some of you) is 5 years behind in tech. I know a car is more than its infotainment system, however it’s likely the most used feature on the dash.

#7 ·
My brother bought a Canyon Denali the same time I bought a Ridgeline RTL-E. He wanted a "truck". It took about 4 month before he decided he made the wrong decision. His wireless phone charger didn't work with Apple. The tech in his truck is no better than mine. I am also a "tech guy" and am so irritated with the carplay drops as well. I drive 70 miles to work daily and it drops on some trips about 4 times. Some days it works fine. For a small truck you made the right move. Everyone who has been in my truck loves it. Anyone who drives it says its the smoothest, nicest ride in a truck other than the air suspension of the Ram Limited my brother got after he traded in his Canyon. Even my brothers new Ram drops the carplay at times so I'm starting to wonder if it is manufacturers head units that are the problem or the transfer of data and power through the cables that glitch out at times. Hopefully in the coming years we will get wireless carplay which should eliminate this issue. I've spent a lot of time in my brothers Canyon and can assure you that you made the right choice with the Ridgeline unless you were planning on towing 4-5k often. My truck is peppy, gets great gas mileage, is comfortable, has a ton of storage, and takes a lot of miles with little to no maintenance. I like the driver assist features too with all the driving I do. I really only responded to your thread because of the Canyon/Ridgeline battle my brother and I had. I'm still working with my dealership to get to the bottom of the carplay drops and if/when I do I will post it on this site.

#55 ·
I have had the same issue with Ford Sync dropping connection and Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. Especially when using navigation from phone. Seems even worse with Waze. I was really surprised it worked well with factory wireless CarPlay with 21 Hyundai.

#9 ·
Carplay has problems. It works for the most part. That's about it. Apple knows and is working slowly on it.
I've had issues with every carplay system in rental cars I've ever driven. Some are worse and annoying to use than others. The ones that were really annoying I don't let them sync and just use the 12v charger plug instead.

Steve

#10 ·
Carplay has problems. It works for the most part. That's about it. Apple knows and is working slowly on it.
I've had issues with every carplay system in rental cars I've ever driven. Some are worse and annoying to use than others. The ones that were really annoying I don't let them sync and just use the 12v charger plug instead.

Steve
Drops seem pretty normal for me as well but not at the frequency of several a day, maybe one or two a week. Usually I find that my 8+ is resting on the cable or plug. Relocating it to where there is no strain on the cable/connector helps. Yesterday's issue was app related with Waze. Kept freezing but Carplay was working. Had to flip over to Google maps for Waze to wake up and become active. I would love to see Carplay become fully functional via BT and get rid of the need for a hard wired connection.

#12 ·
The issue isn't so much with Apple, as it is the implementation of the product by the vehicle manufacturers. There are no standards when it comes to the infotainment segment everyone wants to put their spin on how things are done. I, too am in tech and see this all the time, some things work better than others and sometimes things don't work at all. Very frustrating, but that's technology. Rumors have that Apple will release the ability to use your phone as the key to your vehicle in the next update to iOS. I bet you won't see it for any of the current RL's as that would require too much effort on Honda's part.

#13 ·
Yes it is. CarPlay is a standard.

If CarPlay fails in every car it's in then it's an Apple problem. Everyone else is wrong and Apple is right? If true, Apple still needs to address the problem and ensure manufacturer are doing the implementation right. Apple is licensing CarPlay to manufacturers they have an obligation to ensure it's implemented right. I haven't been in a car yet with CarPlay that hasn't disconnected.

No, I don't want my phone as a car key either. I want to use my phone as a phone. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Why are people so apologetic about Apple? Their products are getting steadily worse in the 20 years I've used them.

#16 ·
I had a kenwood head unit in my old Tundra with Carplay. It would disconnect so frequently when I first got it that I gave up on Carplay. After a few months they came out with a firmware update and it was much better but still occasionally had issues. After another update a couple of years after release it would typically last for at least an hour, but if I went on a long road trip it would almost always disconnect at least once. Between the annoying message at every startup that would never go away without tapping the small button in the middle of the screen and the software bugs I wouldn't want another one.

#20 ·
I often have trouble with Carplay connecting in my 2019 Ridgeline. Sometimes, like just an hour ago, I could not get my iPhone 10 (up to date iOS) and the Ridgeline to "see" each other. Turned the phone off and on. Stopped the truck and turned it off and then back on. I did everything I could think of and nothing worked. We'll see if it sorts itself out when I next get in the truck. It is extremely frustrating, that's for sure.

#21 ·
Carplay issues have nothing to do with Apple or cables or anything else. It's only Honda to blame. I've been using Carplay for 5 years EVERY DAY in different cars, my wife was doing the same. We both NEVER had a SINGLE PROBLEM with carplay until I bought Honda. Now both my Iphone and her iphone keep disconnecting.
This is ridiculous. This has nothing to do with "outdated head unit", because CarPlay works perfectly with much older head units in other cars. It's only Honda's inability to write stable firmware. I hope that other parts of my new truck have better quality

#42 ·
I'm not ready to let Apple off the hook completely for my Carplay issues. Most of my Carplay-related issues have been with Waze. It's been flukey, sometimes I had no buttons on the screen to report hazards, more recently it thinks I'm home when I'm miles away. I do get the occasional Carplay disconnect then it reconnects, but I'm never sure if it's vibration in the USB connection or something else.

#22 ·
Sigh. Very sad to hear this and it is what I was afraid of. I really dislike when a vehicle has a defect that the manufacturer does not acknowledge or try to fix. I agree with you that I think this is not the phone or the cable but a defect in the actual implementation.

#24 ·
Im so frustrated with the constant disconnects with the carplay I just disabled it all together. The $300 Alpine I installed in my previous vehicle never had this problem but it was the only other vehicle I ever used carplay in.
The Honda head unit in my RTL-E is the only disappointing part of my Ridgeline. It makes me wish I would've bought a cheaper trim level and installed another cheap Alpine head unit in it sometimes.

#26 ·
Tried disabling Bluetooth on the head unit and removing the truck from my phone and I still get disconnects. Seems like less of them but they are still there. Probably gonna end up going aftermarket eventually but I really dont want to lose the lanewatch camera.

#27 ·
If indeed the factory HU is running an old (2016) version Android, then by law the source code should be available for downloading. I doubt it is running Android for this very reason. Would be nice if it was, then the head unit could be rooted and upgraded to a later version of Android by a knowledgeable user.

#29 ·
In which case, WHERE is the source code? Honda, by law HAS to make at least the kernel sources available. If I had a Honda HU on my workbench, I have no doubt I could have it rooted within an afternoon, dump out the binary blobs and Vendor partition and possibly have a semi-working upgrade within a few days, IF the source code was available, as it legally should be.

Also, there is this: Honda Hack – How to root your Honda head unit and install apps freely.

#30 ·
No need. This was done already when the Pilot came out in 2016. It didn't have CarPlay so it was rooted and Waze was installed. Look in Pilot Forums. This doesn't seem to be an Android issue as much as a shitty Honda driver that craps out and drops the CarPlay connection. It has become much more frequent with my 12pro then it ever was with past phones. What we really need is a working adapter for lane watch then all functions of the HU can be accomplished with an aftermarket unit. Sadly I have only found some random adapter for a civic that only covered like 3 years. It would be even better since most new HU's have wireless CarPlay.
Here is the link for the adapter. Covers Civic and CRV from 2013-2015:

#31 ·
It absolutely could be the iPhone driver they are using in Android. If the HU was rooted, it would at least be possible to look at the system logs and verify that. It might even be possible to use ADB to grab the logs for that matter, on a non-rooted system.

I am just happy to not have to deal with it. I replaced my HU @500 miles with a Kenwood.

#32 · (Edited)
It’s old android with poor Honda software to blame. I have been through multiple cables.. iPhone cables and good aftermarket. I have reset the HU and my iPhone. I tried other iPhones.

Disabling Bluetooth helps to a degree but the issue comes back eventually. It’s just really bad HU driver software. There is no way around it.

I talked to dealer and even called Honda. Basically once a model is released Honda doesn’t give two cents about updating the software in their HUs. You’ll get a nice “it is what it is” response. Honda just doesn’t see value in updating their HU software is the truth. Maybe if enough of us complain to Honda but I suspect that is very slim chance even then. After market software rooting is only other option the worry of loosing the Honda specific features is a concern.

As final note I tried it with a note 9 I had laying around and android auto worked if I remember but a similar issue did start occurring with it struggling to stay on and not jump to Bluetooth. As of lately I have also had the issue of Bluetooth occasionally being connected, vehicle selected on iPhone and it is like I am muted. Disconnecting and reconnecting Bluetooth resolves it for it short while.

If you take it to dealer they’ll just reset the HU. There are no software updates available for the HU and I suspect Honda just doesn’t give two shits enough to devote a software team a week or two fix it. Really annoying situation.

2019 rtle

Just FYI if you send them email for the hell of it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Having recently traded in my 2018 Accord for a 2020 Ridgeline RTL, the worst exchange in the deal was the stereo/headunit. The accord unit was fast, barely had any issues, and looked like it was modern. The ridgeline looks as old as the OS on the head unit. Its slow, drops carplay often, and freezes constantly to the point that it becomes unusable. I love the truck, but the creature comforts ala the radio...... 0/10......

#35 ·
Will Honda replace the actual Unit, if they won't update the software? Will that fix it? I have 2020 RTL-E and it's discounted very unsafe since I have to fiddle with screen to get map and directions reloaded and music is reset. Very disappointed in Honda.
I seriously doubt it. If we all email them... maybe and I stress maybe. Honda isn’t known for update their HUs software after that model is released unless it is major issue. They’ll likely tell you to:

1. Buy a apple certified cable (which most use do)
2. Reset the HU
3. Turn off Bluetooth in settings

Lastly they just apologize for inconvenience and maybe local dealer will call you. The. They’ll just offer to reset the HU. It’s like circle logic where nothing will get accomplished.

#36 ·
I have had the issue of CarPlay "losing" my iPhone on occasion, and nothing I do can get it to "see" my phone again (disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, etc.) I suspect that a "reboot" of the head unit would do it (instead of having to turn off the vehicle completely). But -- I also suspect that there is no way to "reboot" the head unit, short of turning off the vehicle and turning it back on (since no one mentioned this...)

Steve

#38 ·
I have had the issue of CarPlay "losing" my iPhone on occasion, and nothing I do can get it to "see" my phone again (disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, etc.) I suspect that a "reboot" of the head unit would do it (instead of having to turn off the vehicle completely). But -- I also suspect that there is no way to "reboot" the head unit, short of turning off the vehicle and turning it back on (since no one mentioned this...)

Steve
You turn off/on truck or go into settings and reset it. You could also pull the fuse associated with the HU. All ridiculous to have to do cause Honda won’t optimize there software on the HU. Had similar issues on our 2019 passport but they did update the software. Email Honda and complain is the best bet.

#39 ·
I’m renting a Kia K5 on vacation and am blown away by how fast the HU turns on and connects to Wireless CarPlay. It’s literally up before my seatbelt is on. Makes me realize how totally inept and pathetic the Ridgeline set up is. The fact that on the RL I can’t adjust volume for 5 seconds, much less manipulate any CarPlay apps for 15 seconds - is really absurd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.