Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

CarPlay frustration

8K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Mathwiz 
#1 ·
Greetings. Very frustrated that I can’t get CarPlay in my 2019 Black Edition to recognize my iPhone XR. The USB cable will charge my XR fine, and the same cable connects to hubby’s iPhone X without issue via CarPlay.

Both phones have the latest IOS and have been restarted recently. The XR connects via Bluetooth fine, but no option for CarPlay appears when the USB cable is plugged in. Even when I try to connect manually via USB, the Honda display tells me it cannot connect and to try later.

I searched through a few other threads on this forum and tried those minor settings changes, but still not working.

Anyone else out there having this issue?

-Betty

#2 · (Edited)
Are the two phones named the same, by chance? My GF & I have the same phone. They had the same name, and a similar situation occurred. I renamed mine and then they both worked fine.

It may not be the answer, but it is an easy solution if it is.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sparkland
#12 ·
When I first got the truck I was using a genuine OEM standard-length white Apple cable and like everyone else here I could only make CarPlay work if I connected it before I started the truck, which was annoying plus I didn't like the look of the white cord on the black interior. I ended up getting a ProClip dash mount holder for my iPhone over on the right-hand side of the center console and to avoid having the long white cable coiled up underneath the center stack or just flopping around, I ordered a black 1 ft MFI-certified iPhone cable from Amazon here:

I bought the cable in November 2018, so it's been over a year and ever since I've been using this cable I can plug my iPhone 8 in whenever I want--before starting the truck, after starting, while moving, etc--and the CarPlay option will appear shortly thereafter in the source menu and I can select and use it. If it was already on CarPlay previously, whenever I plug it in, it will connect automatically in a few seconds and then start playing where I left off on my PodCast.

Again, your mileage may vary, but the cable listed above definitely worked for me and now I'm very happy with my CarPlay experience in the RL.

#13 ·
Thanks for that perspective. I’m using a similar Anker cable currently and it works like a champ on the iPhone X.

Just can’t get the iPhone XR to work via CarPlay... Good to hear I’m not the only one experiencing issues.

#14 ·
Betty,

I ended up going through the Factory Data Reset through the system settings and so far have not had issues plugging in after the truck is started. Only had a couple of tries so far so we'll see how long it last but I'd say it's worth trying. Just a heads up it will reset your radio presets and Carplay/bluetooth pairing and probably all other customized settings.

#15 ·
Two things I've noticed with CarPlay in my RTL-T -

1. Sometimes my phone resets the "Use CarPlay While Locked" setting, so it won't connect unless I unlock the phone. Not Honda related, but something to check
2. I find that I need to plug the phone in BEFORE I start the truck, or AFTER the center console boots up completely. Plugging it in while the radio is booting up almost always fails.

#18 ·
Hey gang, OP here. After trying 3 separate cables with no luck, I did a factory reset on the Ridgeline and CARPLAY NOW WORKS on my iPhone XR!!! I’m 4 for 4 in my connection attempts so far, and thankfully the iPhone X still works as well.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. Moving along now....

#19 ·
One more weird edge case to keep in mind:

My phone won't connect to Carplay if my wife's phone is already plugged into the console cable to charge.

This lesson was learned recently on a highway trip, she had hers charging from the console port. We stopped for gas and I habitually grabbed my phone to go inside while she waited in the truck. When leaving and plugging it in as normal, it took forever to realize she had to unplug hers before Carplay would re-connect to mine.

#20 ·
So I've continued to have the problem of CarPlay not working unless I plug in before starting the truck. This past weekend I traveled in a new Tacoma, and it Carplay worked flawlesslely the whole time. That really pissed me off.

When I returned, my Ridgeline carplay acted up. First, it wouldn't recognize my iPhone at all, continuously giving me "USB not responding" error pop-ups on the HU. I tried plugging in my regular iPod into the front USB and I got the same error message. I plugged the iPhone back in, and after a few minutes, CarPlay came on. I could then plug and/or unplug the phone any time and CarPlay always comes back on. It NEVER did that before.Today, it works perfectly. No error message yet, and I can plug in after starting the truck and unplug/plug in and it works fine.

I tried my wife's phone as well, and it behaved the same, so it's not something with my phone. It just seems very coincidental that this occurs after I had great luck in a Tacoma this weekend. We'll see if this continues, or it the RL starts to display the "USB not recognized" error message again.

#23 ·
ISSUES SOLVED!!!! For the first several months of ownership, my CarPlay would NOT work unless it was plugged in when the truck was started. Recently, it miraculously started working anytime I plugged it in. Today, though, it went back to its old manners. It turns out that I have had an iPod plugged in to the center console USB port since day one. Apparently, having it plugged in prevents CarPlay from working unless you plug the phone in before you start up. With the iPod unplugged, CarPlay works all the time from the front USB. Who would have guessed it! Problem solved!

#24 ·
This could be why CarPlay won’t work on my truck. I also have an IPod plugged in to the center console. Thanks.

Reactions: blz2dwl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.