Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experience CarPlay randomly kicking off while driving, then switching to Bluetooth. I use all OEM Apple lighting connectors and I have an IPhone XS Max. The other day I had a 1.5 hour commute and CarPlay kicked off 4 times and there doesn’t appear to be any obvious coorelated reasons. Usually a simple unplugging and reconnecting of the lighting cable remedies the problem. Sometimes I have to restart the truck to get it to reconnect. If nobody else is experiencing this problem I will take it to the stealership and let them check it out.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I had the same issue a while back. I tracked mine back to using a VPN. I have xfinity mobile and when I drive it will randomly connect to the xfinity wifi hotspots to conserve data. When it did that the VPN did its thing and was never fast enough to keep from disconnecting carplay. I stopped using the VPN and the problem went away.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@DAK60 Interesting problem you had, I have Verizon and I do not use any hot spots or VPN servers. Everything is quite standard. Just to make sure we are on the same page you are referring to Virtual Private Network correct? Why would this have an effect on CarPlay which is transmitted via lightning cable. Reception and speeds of bandwidth shouldn’t have an affect on CarPlay right?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
@DAK60 Interesting problem you had, I have Verizon and I do not use any hot spots or VPN servers. Everything is quite standard. Just to make sure we are on the same page you are referring to Virtual Private Network correct? Why would this have an effect on CarPlay which is transmitted via lightning cable. Reception and speeds of bandwidth shouldn’t have an affect on CarPlay right?
Yes. When using maps I would have carplay disconnect when it switched from cellular to WiFi and back to cellular. It was most noticeable when listening to podcasts. Played fine then when it switched to WiFi carplay would disconnect due to the delay caused by the VPN. Stopped using VPN and issues disappeared.

Reactions: C-130loadmaster

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
I've been using CarPlay daily since iOS 13 was released and I've had some instances of disconnections that required the cable to be unplugged/replugged. One or two of those required a vehicle restart.

2019 RTL-E
iPhone Xs Max
iOS 13 (latest version)
Genuine Apple cable

Last week, I bought a new 2019 Miata. On my three-hour drive home from the dealer, the phone repeatedly kept disconnecting from the vehicle and I'd have to unplug and replug the cable. I noticed that it happened every time the phone fell on its face while taking off from a stop.

I started using a new Apple cable then the disconnections disappeared. Although the old cable looked fine, there was apparently a break in a wire causing the intermittent disconnections in my case.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@zroger73
Good to know this isn’t an issue that is likely to be a problem with the head unit. I know a while back before IOS 13 was released I had found that when Apple maps does that really annoying thing where it sends a push notification to tell you how long it will take you to drive to where they think you might be going. Like this image shows,

CarPlay would disconnect without fail every time I got one of these push notifications. Once I disabled the feature it seemed to rectify my problem but now it happens less frequently but still periodically happens.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Yes, does intermittent disco dance about once a week, tried various new USB cables to from jack. Sometimes a plug/unplug and/or phone reboot but most of the time a restart is required for RL to use ACP.

I don’t use a VPN so it’s not all or just that (not saying VPN could be the issue, just not mine).

Slightest tug or bump vibe or nothing at all can mess it up, typically at USB end, breaks data flow. Ports can wear out from multiple connections over time. I’ve tried a short USB extension cable to prevent daily jack wear. Dealer says that could be the issue. Not that it won’t work but more connections, more chance of hiccups.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Ports can wear out from multiple connections over time. I’ve tried a short USB extension cable to prevent daily jack wear. Dealer says that could be the issue. Not that it won’t work but more connections, more chance of hiccups.
A typical, automotive-grade USB-A connector has a minimum 10,000 cycle life. If you plugged and unplugged the USB cable twice daily, that's over 13 years of life. If you leave a dedicated USB cable connected to the vehicle, then there's very little wear on the vehicle's USB port.

A typical USB-C connector on a smartphone or Lightning connector on an iPhone is also rated at 10,000 cycles. If you plugged and unplugged the smartphone ten times per day (which is excessive), that's over three years of life. Most people replace their smartphones before that.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, connectors outlast the devices and cables are the weakest link.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Zroger,
Thank you for the robust port education. I have several jacks and cables that quit working consistently far short of 1k uses so QA and product uniformity, corrosion, foreign objects can all reduce lifespan.
Besides, those ratings are for cycles that have two wheels, with RLs having 4 wheels we need to divide by two so 5,000 cycles for us. ??

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have that issue as well. Most of the time it will re-establish connection without any intervention on my part, other times, I have to disconnect the USB cable which I do on the end that goes to the RL, not the phone. Not set up for any hotspots so I can't comment on it finding wifi and trying to connect to it. It does however connect to my dash cam when in the car since it is set up to download and sync video. It has gotten better with iOS13.2 but still an issue. I have the 8 Plus. May be more of an issue with the underlying head unit OS than the handheld itself. No Samsung phones so I don't now if Android Auto presents the same symptoms

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad to see im not the only one! It happens at least once during each of my daily commutes and i typically have to unplug and then plug back in, doesnt sound like a big deal, but its very annoying. Im on an iPhone 7 plus. I also from time to time have issues getting the carplay to start, sometimes it wont pickup the phone, but the battery, wifi, BT status show up on the top of the display.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Happens here also. It has gotten some better with recent iOS update. Overall I just wish Honda would update the head unit software that is from 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else experience CarPlay randomly kicking off while driving, then switching to Bluetooth. I use all OEM Apple lighting connectors and I have an IPhone XS Max. The other day I had a 1.5 hour commute and CarPlay kicked off 4 times and there doesn’t appear to be any obvious coorelated reasons. Usually a simple unplugging and reconnecting of the lighting cable remedies the problem. Sometimes I have to restart the truck to get it to reconnect. If nobody else is experiencing this problem I will take it to the stealership and let them check it out.
I had the same problem and the dealer said I was using the wrong cord( not iPhone) I replaced it and still have the same problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, and it just started with the latest IOS update. I had an 8+ for about a year, no problems. Then an XR for about a year, no problems until the IOS went to 13. I now have an 11, latest IOS, same issue. Sometimes it'll go hours without disconnecting, sometimes it's 30 minutes. And it won't re-engage Carplay by unplugging/plugging back in, the truck has to be powered down. I'm seeing similar issues on the web for all sorts of makers, so I don't think it's a Honda issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2018 RTL-T. New iPhone 10 XR, same issue with old and new IOS versions, new apple cable, listening to books on tape that are downloaded to my phone, no VPN. Two-hour drives it disconnected three-times. Had to unplug - plug back in to reconnect. This happens each time I plug into apple car play.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I rent a lot of cars throughout the year. And Apple Carplay sometimes works well on them and other times is nothing but a PIA. Even within the same model like a Rogue it worked perfectly on a SL but on the SV it was horrible and i was ready to crash the car into a guardrail trying to "fix" it AGAIN AND AGAIN. It's stupid.

Steve with a Dodge Caravan this week. 5" radio. It's just "ok". No carplay though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've spent hours with Apple trying to figure out if the problem is my iPhoneXS, and the connectivity issues never completely go away. I called Honda today and spoke with an "In-Vehicle Services" advisor who told me the system does not work with Bluetooth and the wired connection simultaneously. She said I should turn off Bluetooth when using CarPlay via the cable.

This seems inconvenient and stupid to me. My 2021 Toyota Avalon has NONE of these BS issues. And do you look HondaLink connectivity (for whatever that's worth) if you turn off Bluetooth?

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

When using Apple CarPlay, there's no need for a Bluetooth connection because CarPlay takes it's place. Having a Bluetooth connection with CarPlay would be redundant and inferior.

When I connect my iPhone, the vehicle disconnects the Bluetooth for me - no need to manually turn Bluetooth off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

When using Apple CarPlay, there's no need for a Bluetooth connection because CarPlay takes it's place. Having a Bluetooth connection with CarPlay would be redundant and inferior.

When I connect my iPhone, the vehicle disconnects the Bluetooth for me - no need to manually turn Bluetooth off.
Mine either does not disconnect the Bluetooth OR it tries randomly to reconnect it once I'm in CarPlay, which shuts down CarPlay and gets me a "No device connected" message.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts