Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my new system with a Pioneer 5100NEX HU.
Sounds brilliant......when it plays :frown:
Problem is that when I'm using Carplay via a USB connection it is erratic at best. Either I get no sound even though the screen shows it is playing. Sometimes I lose the connection entirely. The iPhone 6s I use keeps rebooting by itself. Yesterday I lost the audio instructions from Apple Maps. Basically various issues in a random manner.
I have read that Carplay is very buggy..at least up till OS9.2. But I have just upgraded to 9.3 and it is no better.
Before I rip into the dash and replace the USB cables I was wondering if any one else has had these or similar issues.
Thanks guys and gals!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Just finished installing my new system with a Pioneer 5100NEX HU.
Sounds brilliant......when it plays :frown:
Problem is that when I'm using Carplay via a USB connection it is erratic at best. Either I get no sound even though the screen shows it is playing. Sometimes I lose the connection entirely. The iPhone 6s I use keeps rebooting by itself. Yesterday I lost the audio instructions from Apple Maps. Basically various issues in a random manner.
I have read that Carplay is very buggy..at least up till OS9.2. But I have just upgraded to 9.3 and it is no better.
Before I rip into the dash and replace the USB cables I was wondering if any one else has had these or similar issues.
Thanks guys and gals!
Based on your description, the issue sounds SW related. Although it's possible the USB cable is intermittent. Before dash tear down, have you checked to see if the SW update for your Pioneer resolve the issue? They made an update available for my lowly 3700 - might be one for yours - especially if the Carplay app is known to be buggy.

Check out the their page. Looks like there are two available now for the 5100. But its doubtful you'll make use of map updates for D.C./Maryland! FYI: sometimes they'll sneak in fixes they don't tell us about. Might be worth your time to load them both to your head just in case.

AVIC-5100NEX - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.2? WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

Update the thread if it works for you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I updated the firmware already.
Also tried a different cable to the USB plug I installed.
No difference.
So it's either a Carplay issue or the cable/plug I installed.
I'm going to plug directly into the HU and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I updated the firmware already.
Also tried a different cable to the USB plug I installed.
No difference.
So it's either a Carplay issue or the cable/plug I installed.
I'm going to plug directly into the HU and see what happens.
Not sure what plugging directly into the HU means. Isn't the iPhone already connected directly to HU USB port? Or is there an intermediate interface somewhere in the configuration?

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things anyhow. Hope you get it solved.

Disregard. You've got an extension on the HU USB port. DUH on me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have a USB extension that I placed in the glove cubby instead of the old audio output jack.
It could be that for sure. But after having read many posts on other forums about Carplay issues I wondered if this was a Apple problem that others here had experienced.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I'd try re-updating the firmware in the Pioneer and then testing with a genuine Apple cable plugged directly into the HU.

There's circuitry inside the cable that can be very sketchy in some cables. I've had very mixed results with non-Apple lightning connectors; some won't even connect; some trigger the 'this accessory is not compatible' message on the phone but charge fine; some charge fine, but can't be used to sync; etc.

·
Administrator
16,016 Posts
Although I'm a devoted Apple fan, I've never got too excited about CarPlay. Since the interface portion of CarPlay runs on a variety of non-Apple hardware, it simply doesn't provide as good of an experience as if Apple designed the whole thing. Every CarPlay interface I've seen so far has been either laggy or stutters or hangs. Having been spoiled on the fluidity and reliability of Apple products, CarPlay just doesn't please me.

I'd like to point the finger at Pioneer's hardware/firmware, but the fact that the phone reboots is concerning. External devices, no matter how buggy, shouldn't cause the phone to reboot. After ensuring the HU's firmware is up to date, I'd next try a full restore on the iPhone through iTunes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise guys. The firmware is up to date so the HU is hopefully not it.
I used an Apple cable into the aftermarket USB extension. No joy.
So nowIi guess I will plug the Apple cable directly into the HU.

I sure hope it works as Carplay is one of the big reasons for the upgraded stereo.

zroger...when i say reboot...it's like the phone drops Carplay then i hear the chime and it comes back. Not sure if this is a full reboot as such.
I updated the iOS to 9.3 but it made no difference.
But having read so many complaints about the system particularly on the Apple site I'm confused as to where the problem lies.
I'm going to use my wife phone for a day and see if it does the same stuff. Then I will get into the dash.

Keep 'em crossed!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife's phone did the same :-(
Continuing to read many posts about Carplay problems.
Time to connect directly ton the HU I guess. I will also call Apple today. Meanwhile .... am I the only one having these issues?
I feel so alone :crying:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
It may be that specific, and the extension may interfere with that cable also...

YMMV

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I'm going to go direct into the HU. But I will do so with the Apple cable first.
Mahalo!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Yes I'm going to go direct into the HU. But I will do so with the Apple cable first.
Mahalo!
My $0.02 FWIW: a USB cable does 2 things on 4 wires.
1) Supply 5V +/- and
2) bidirectional serial data +/-.

That fact that files have passed between the device and head means that the worst case scenario with the Pioneer supplied extension cable is it's intermittently passing voltage one or more of those 4 lines. Unless there is something about intermittent data connectivity the iPhone can't tolerate (which I doubt but certainly could be true because error correction can only be so robust), its unlikely the extension would cause the phone to reboot. Intermittent power across the serial bus would be ignored by the iPhone - as long as its battery is sufficiently charged to power the device.

Apple's marketing folk will espouse the coolness of the orientation agnostic connector in this latest iteration, telling us what a great user experience it is - but make no mistake here, Apple's patent is hardware centric specifically to create a royalty stream from licensees. In that regard, the design is "special" but does nothing more than support an identification schema the transceiver must "know" before it will pass serial data over the standard universal serial bus. I think its a great innovation and very user friendly but at the end of the discussion, Apple invested in development here because there is $ to be made. That's not a bad thing, every company deserves a reward for their investment, its just wasn't done for the reasons they tell us.

Nice write up on the interface here: Apple's Lightning Connector Detailed in Newly-Published Patent Applications - Mac Rumors

It's useless for someone with no direct experience with Carpaly (me) to have an opinion here, but HEY, when has that stopped me from spewing? :act024: By-passing the extension is a necessary step in troubleshooting. If it solves the problem - and I hope it does - that'll be great. Having said that, based on your description there is an request/response collision happening between the Carplay HU app and IOS.

In you investigation, have users been banging on Pioneer customer service to publish updates?

·
Administrator
16,016 Posts
My $0.02 FWIW: a USB cable does 2 things on 4 wires.
1) Supply 5V +/- and
2) bidirectional serial data +/-.
That's true for a conventional USB cable. However, a Lightning cable for Apple devices contains a processor through which the signals pass that also serves as an authentication device.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
That's true for a conventional USB cable. However, a Lightning cable for Apple devices contains a processor through which the signals pass that also serves as an authentication device.
True, but data exiting the USB pins 2 & 3 is still serial and therefore universal. The "processor" you mention was loosely explained with this comment: "the design is "special" but does nothing more than support an identification schema the transceiver must "know" before it will pass serial data over the standard universal serial bus." The details behind that are mentioned in the referenced article.

Apple is a master at designing products to enhance their revenue. All good stuff at the user level but is the reason they have billions in the bank. Good on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 5100 with carplay does not give me too many fits. It never reboots my phone. It is glitchy and sometimes freezes up or doesn't control Pandora quite right. But usually it works ok. honestly I only use it 25% of the time since it is more trouble than it is worth. Not too much added functionality. Now if it had Waze, that would help. And having to tether for use of carplay is a pain. So I usually just use the Bluetooth connection. Still can do the voice stuff like texting and you will even get the warnings and directions from Waze over your speakers, just no HU map. Oh, And I use and extension cable that looks like yours. I also hate lightning cables, but that is another issue. As long as I plug in the phone and don't touch it, all is good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys.

I believe I have fixed my issue.
I read somewhere that plugging in the phone before starting the car/stereo was a solution to one guys problems so I gave it a try.
One week later and not one drop off or reboot.
Even with an aftermarket cable into the extension adaptor.
Keeping them crossed..but so far all good :grin:

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Glad to hear you found a solution, thanks for posting the update!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts