Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched and attempted all the tricks I could find on the net, to get the volume up when using Apple CarPlay and Maps. Siri is loud but the actual voice, with turn by turn instructions, is very low, even when set to the highest level of 11. I know it's not the phone, as I have tried the phone in two other vehicles, and it works fine, allowing me to adjust the volume to a level I can hear. My Honda however leaves much to be desired. Has anyone actually figured this out? No, no I don't need a hearing aid.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
1. Make sure you haven't turned your center channel volume down.

2. Adjust the volume while Siri is speaking directions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have viewed all the settings and I must have missed a setting for the center channel, and if it’s there, I can’t find it. The volume is adjusted to the max of 11 and still is too low. I have a 2020 RTL. Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
I'm sorry - I incorrectly assumed you had an RTL-E or Black Edition. My only other suggestions would be to reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, I'd try a "factory data reset" on the Display Audio system.

Do you have access to another iPhone to try?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Was one of your troubleshooting steps to remove the vehicle from CarPlay on your iPhone? If you haven't do this already, go to Settings -> General -> CarPlay. From there, tap on the vehicle name and click "Forget This Car." This will force a refresh of the iPhone/vehicle association and may be enough to reset all the volume levels to defaults, an allow you to make adjustments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I tried all of the suggestions and still the volume is low...I cannot adjust beyond 11 on the scale, so I guess I have to live with this. I tried a friends phone and it was the same. I am convinced it is a Honda issue and have found, including on this forum, others who have noted that when using CarPlay and maps in Apple, the volume is low. My dealer has acknowledged that he has seen this several times, but does not know of a solution. I use my truck for frequent long distant trips, so this is unacceptable. I even attempted an Android phone and it was the same. Come on Honda, pay attention to the details as it's what people need to be satisfied with their vehicle.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
I find audio routing logic to be all over the map between different devices, applications, makes, models, and trims.

In my 2019 MX-5 Miata, for example, Bluetooth phone calls and navigation voices are heard from the speakers in the headrest while Siri responses are heard form the left door speaker.

In my 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E, Bluetooth phone calls and Siri responses are heard from the front left and right door speakers, but navigation voices are heard from the center speaker.

Thankfully, I can always hear the audio I expect, but I never know where it's going to come from. :)

BTW, navigation volume 11 is "full" (100%).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same issue with my '18 RTL-E. Really annoying and something that Honda should be able to address with a sw update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have researched and attempted all the tricks I could find on the net, to get the volume up when using Apple CarPlay and Maps. Siri is loud but the actual voice, with turn by turn instructions, is very low, even when set to the highest level of 11. I know it's not the phone, as I have tried the phone in two other vehicles, and it works fine, allowing me to adjust the volume to a level I can hear. My Honda however leaves much to be desired. Has anyone actually figured this out? No, no I don't need a hearing aid.
I noticed the same thing with Waze. I'm not 100% sure how I did it, but I was fiddling with the sound while driving around, and got Waze to speak louder. I dont recall if I used the steering wheel, the volume button, or the pop-up volume screen (I think it was this last solution), which changed the sound. I think the pop-up menu allows you to adjust individual sound defaults in different apps. My Podcasts were also barely audible when I first got the truck, then fiddling the sound got the volume to increase. Don't despair!

Also, when you use the BT vs USB, the sound default levels are different.

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
77 Posts
Maybe because when Waze is speaking you turn it up at that time it will go lounder

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Try Waze/ Settings (Gear in upper left corner of screen) / Voice and Sound, in addition to adjusting the volume on the Ridgeline when it is talking. I also have my "Play Sound via" setting on that page to "Device Default".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts