Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, was wondering if anyone has tried to haul a big propane tank to get refilled. This tanks holds 100lbs (23.6 gal) of propane. It needs to ride upright. Any ideas to do this safely?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
650 Posts
Why does it need to be upright?
If you have a big crate or plastic footlocker type thing you could put the cylinder base in that, so that the cylinder rests at an angle against the side of the box.
Secure the box to the bed and the cylinder to the box. No sliding, no rolling.
A vertical cylinder is definitely trickier.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Why does it need to be upright?
For the pressure relief valves on compressed gasses to work properly, they must be upright, or at the very least, the pressure valve must not be below the liquid phase in the tank. You're literally transporting a pressurized flammable potential bomb, so it's a safety issue.

@Brother Randy The trailer Idea sounds the absolute safest, especially if your 100lb tank is the tall skinny kind.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
167 Posts
What are the dimensions of this tank?

Do you have a photo?

Perhaps you can you secure it upright in the forward end of the bed and utilize the tie downs on both left and right side of the bed?

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
286 Posts
It definitely should NOT be transported in the cab.

If you plan to do this more than once, I would build a container out of wood that will contain the cylinder in a vertical position and prevent movement at the base. Then use ratcheting tie down straps to secure from movement in all 4 directions.

You should secure it well enough to prevent movement in the event of evasive maneuvers or harsh stops. You never know what will happen on the road and you are responsible for your load.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Bottle cap

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
122 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This tank is the 48.7" tall one. Don't have any neighbors close with propane. I think, lawfully, the tank must be carried upright. I guess I'll have to build some kind of rack for it. Maybe, out of 2x4 stock.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,908 Posts
Sorry ya'll but waaaaaaaaaaay too much armchair over thinking and worrying . . . You can easily transport the tank using ratchet straps. Center it standing up against the bed / cab wall. Wrap a ratchet strap in a loop around it at the top where it tapers down in size and hook it to the upper front tie down anchors. Adjust the location of the loop on the strap till the straps are tight and the tank is centered and straight up and down after the straps are tight. Use a another strap again looped around the tank in the middle at the height of the upper tie downs (hooked to the upper tie downs again) and adjust / tighten. These "strangle holds" will very firmly hold the tank both down tight to the bed and lock it in place side to side.
It's not all that different then hauling a motorcycle. Use good straps and take your time getting them "balanced" and the tank wont budge. Add a third strap if you like at the bottom of the tank and connected to the lower tie downs. Feel free to put some rigid foam or other object between the tank and the glasswork if it makes you more comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry ya'll but waaaaaaaaaaay too much armchair over thinking and worrying . . . You can easily transport the tank using ratchet straps. Center it standing up against the bed / cab wall. Wrap a ratchet strap in a loop around it at the top where it tapers down in size and hook it to the upper front tie down anchors. Adjust the location of the loop on the strap till the straps are tight and the tank is centered and straight up and down after the straps are tight. Use a another strap again looped around the tank in the middle at the height of the upper tie downs (hooked to the upper tie downs again) and adjust / tighten. These "strangle holds" will very firmly hold the tank both down tight to the bed and lock it in place side to side.
It's not all that different then hauling a motorcycle. Use good straps and take your time getting them "balanced" and the tank wont budge. Feel free to put some rigid foam or other object between the tank and the glasswork if it makes you more comfortable.
Thanks, that's probably the easiest and quickest solution.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I’m an old man, I would just have another DOT tank delivered if possible. If you’re going through these DOT cylinders on a regular basis it might be time for your local propane vender to set an ASME tank.

My brother has a large (1000 gal?) tank that serves his house and emergency generator and he fills 20 pounds cylinders off that tank. Some day I may read about him in the newspaper.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What exactly is the cabin "wall"? I see the rear glass and a plastic valence above it. The bed wall is not a flat vertical surface. The bottom has no support. The tank itself weighs about 70# and then the gas adding another 100# makes a heavy and potentially explosive load to under think it.

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline Sport, previous 2008 Ridgeline EXL
39 Posts
It's not all that different then hauling a motorcycle. Use good straps and take your time getting them "balanced" and the tank wont budge. Add a third strap if you like at the bottom of the tank and connected to the lower tie downs. Feel free to put some rigid foam or other object between the tank and the glasswork if it makes you more comfortable.
This is the way I do it as well, except I have the 100lb tank on the passenger side, front of the bed so I can still use my rearview mirror. Do it right and it's not going any where. I even drive over miles of badly rutted and pot holed roads to get to my cabin and it stays put.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,908 Posts
What exactly is the cabin "wall"? I see the rear glass and a plastic valence above it. The bed wall is not a flat vertical surface. The bottom has no support. The tank itself weighs about 70# and then the gas adding another 100# makes a heavy and potentially explosive load to under think it.
Multiple tight ratchet straps in a stangle hold could hold the object floating in mid air and it would barely move. If you want more security / piece of mind just put something in the voids between the tank and the bed wall (like rigid foam) till it pads it out flush with the top rail. Not really necessary though particularly with something like 3 taut ratchet straps holding it. If you orient the loops correctly the straps will pull the tank tight to the top rail of the bed wall, pull down the tank tight to the floor of the bed and prevent it from moving side to side. That's all that will be needed. Its not under thinking. It does require attention to detail. Experience with anchoring loads helps too but common sense and patience will get it done too.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Could the tank be upright in the middle of the bed with 4 ratchet straps attached to the top of the bottle and bed cleats in an X pattern?……and 4 more straps attached to the bottom of the tank and bed cleats in the same X pattern?

Reactions: MtMan
1 - 20 of 21 Posts