Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
14,606 Posts
I know very little about travel trailers and haven't stayed in one since I was a kid over 35 years ago back when they contained so much formaldehyde that my eyes burned and watered profusely when my family shopped for new models on a hot, sunny Texas Summer day.

There seems to be no shortage of travel trailer manufacturers and brands that all seem to be made with the same materials and assembly techniques. Is there really much of a difference?

On the surface, it seems the Casita is rather expensive for what you get. Is there something that sets that brand apart from other TT's of similar size and features that cost thousands less?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ha, I hope they have changed somewhat. We just purchased a new Keystone Springdale. My Ridge towed it 12 miles to the property that we will be building on in about 3 months. I may move it around on the acreage until we get everything built. The Ridge handled it just fine those 12 miles. In fact, I locked it in FWD to get it to the right spot for now. Truthfully, that may be all the over the road traveling it ever does.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, looks like I will be getting a travel trailer instead of a huge Newmar motorcoach...reality has a way to putting things in check. :wink:
It is a new Casita. I have been looking at these for years, probably about 12-15 or so. I finally just said to myself, just buy it. And I replied, ok. It was a very short conversation. :grin:

Does anyone have or had a Casita? I know it will be no problem towing it, I am more interested in the quirks of the Casita.
Howdy Shine . . .
Forum member and Ridgeline/Casita owner is @trainman605. I've read several of his posts on his experiences with his Casita and they seem to reflect that he really loves it.

Might want to PM him.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Howdy Shine . . .
Forum member and Ridgeline/Casita owner is @trainman605. I've read several of his posts on his experiences with his Casita and they seem to reflect that he really loves it.

Might want to PM him.
thanks, going to look him up right now.

Currently looking at an Escape 17 with the B floor plan. While the Casita is a great trailer, the general consensus (on the internet) is that it is a step above the Casita. When I discovered the brand several years ago, and saw they were in BC, I didn't consider them due to the price and distance. I also thought I would not find one in the US since I had never seen one. So, I am lucky to find one even thought it is located in the wrong direction.
This trailer is a little out of the way since I am supposed to be headed west but thats ok. If it works out I will have a nice bed to sleep in!
I am surprised how tough it is finding and contacting people with Casita's! I guess the sale is not a priority.

About 40 hours till departure. :grin:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I know very little about travel trailers and haven't stayed in one since I was a kid over 35 years ago back when they contained so much formaldehyde that my eyes burned and watered profusely when my family shopped for new models on a hot, sunny Texas Summer day.

There seems to be no shortage of travel trailer manufacturers and brands that all seem to be made with the same materials and assembly techniques. Is there really much of a difference?

On the surface, it seems the Casita is rather expensive for what you get. Is there something that sets that brand apart from other TT's of similar size and features that cost thousands less?

I dont have a casita but have been around them a bit.

The " big deal" about these is their fibreglass construction allows for external smooth bends and is pretty lightweight compared to a rectangular type box travel trailer.

I dont think there are many fibreglass trailers out there. It won't dent or ding like aluminum trailer will so it isnt as delicate on many levels.

They can be egg shaped, but most are pretty close to the shape on an airstream which is good for a minor improvement in drag.

Like a small boat its got an upper and lower piece compared to mutiple layer, plus sealants and edges to pull/shake apart over time.

UD

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
This guy was in the similar situation.....all pumped !! ...Not so much a test drive...but more like an opinion on finalizing the decision to actually committed to put a deposit on one. :grin:

Enjoy ! :laugh:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was also interested in getting a Casita Freedom a few years ago, until I got a chance to tour one at a nearby Scamp Camp rally. There were all sorts of fiberglass trailers there, and my wife and I loved all the people we met and their passion for camping. The problem with the Casita for me is the interior height- I am about 6’2” and I could not stand up straight in one.

I also toured an Escape at that rally, and decided upon an Escape 19. I was fortunate to find a used one locally, as the shipping from British Columbia to Florida was my biggest financial hurdle. It is similar to a Casita, but has dual axles, more headroom, and a regular queen size bed. The Casita is less expensive, and if the size works for you I don’t think you can go wrong, all the fiberglass trailers seem to hold their value very well with very few problems. The Casita forum is a wealth of information also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I also toured an Escape at that rally and decided upon an Escape 19.
I have been looking at RVs off and on for the last 20 years. We did have a teardrop for several years that served us very well. As a result of this thread I have been looking at the Escapes and they look very good to me. Living just across the border from the factory does not hurt either. That Escape 21 is whispering to me and the GVW looks like it was tailored for the Ridgeline. If my daughter does not find a house soon to deplete my savings account, I might end up with one.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah, I started this thread! Well, the Escape 17b deal fell through, he did not accept my offer.
Another Casita I was looking at was sold, But...
I managed to find and buy a 2016 Casita Freedom deluxe in AZ! Spent the last week camping in different state parks in AZ then NM and I love it. Had some bugs to work through and adjustments to make (still bang my head in the doorway) but overall, I could live in this trailer and be content.

I will post up a couple of pics in he next post.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry I missed this.
Durability. And no leaks. It is 2 piece construction. The bottom section and the top section. There are no walls, floor or roof sections, the top and bottom are joined together and thats it. They hold their value incredibly well and when I was buying one, they hold their value annoying well! But now that I own one, I believe I could get about what I paid for the trailer in 5 years. But I used to believe in Santa too...>:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts