Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maintenance reminder is telling to prepare for my initial oil change (5900 miles). I know there's been a LOT of discussion about motor oil in this club. I am a loyal user of Castrol and want to convert to their synthetic oil for my Ridgeline. Can anybody lead me to a national retailer that carries Castrol 5W20 Syntec oil? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Desert Ridge said:
Walmart has it in 5 quart jugs.
What? Do they make Castrol in China along with everything Walmart sells? Was a good company when Sam was at the helm. The MBA's have driven it downhill and then some.

·
Registered
265 Posts
denvrfan said:
My maintenance reminder is telling to prepare for my initial oil change (5900 miles). I know there's been a LOT of discussion about motor oil in this club. I am a loyal user of Castrol and want to convert to their synthetic oil for my Ridgeline. Can anybody lead me to a national retailer that carries Castrol 5W20 Syntec oil? Thanks for the help!
If you are going to commit to the added expense of synthetic oil, then do it right. Use Mobil 1 or AMSOil.......

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rtpjunior said:
If you are going to commit to the added expense of synthetic oil, then do it right. Use Mobil 1 or AMSOil.......
Sorry, but like I said, I've been a loyal user of Castrol products for years. The track record of their products in my engines gives me zero reason to change now, especially since my Ridgeline represents the most money I've spent for a vehicle.

BTW- paid $19.88 for a 5 gallon jug at the big box retailer that will remain nameless.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My Honda dealer uses Castrol at oil changes (not the synthetic). I understand the desire to do the absolute best for your pride and joy. When I got my first Honda I wanted to put a pre-oiler pump in to prevent "dry start". Could not find one. My feeling still is that you could double the engines life by using a pre-oiler. Of course, the upholstery would need replacement long before the engine will wear out in any case.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
denvrfan said:
the big box retailer that will remain nameless.

You mean this big box retailer?

I was there yesterday and noticed this retired shopper.

No offence to the retired, I am one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I have been using Castrol in all my Honda vehicles since 1981 with nothing but good results. Started my Ridgeline off with Castrol at my first oil change. Dealer was pushing Honda oil, but we all know Honda is not in the oil business.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Spritegeezer, pre-oilers are used all the time in the boating industry. As a matter of fact, a guy not too far from me has one in his Donzi Classic 22. If you ask me, the damn boat would SINK before the engine would quit (Tempest engine). I think that nowadays pre-oilers are not needed, as long as the proper maintenance is performed at the proper times.

Oil is oil, isn't it? As long as it is brown, doesn't that count?

(NOW I've started something)

George

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
GJRUGBY said:
I think that nowadays pre-oilers are not needed, as long as the proper maintenance is performed at the proper times.

Oil is oil, isn't it? As long as it is brown, doesn't that count?

(NOW I've started something)

George
Not to sure on that. I have a twin turbo sports car that sits for months on end, five months last time. I know I should start it once in awhile but never remember.

Dont know much about pre-oilers but heard they are good for that application. I don't know if the oil in the main and rod bearings has dissapated or leaked away after that length of time.

But I do know that the first 2-3 seconds after engine start is critical on the lower-end bearings even when you drive every day until the oil pressure builds up. There is metal to metal wear without that thin layer of oil. Thats what I think is happening to my motor home too. It sometime sits longer than that.

I would like to know more about pre-oilers, how they work and how hard to install from spritegeezer since he brought it up. I bet he knows the answers.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts