Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking for recommendations for catalytic converter anti-theft devices for 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. Have looked at CatStrap, but not sure what frame/suspension parts you would wrap the cable around.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Well, there's a business opportunity on both ends, theft, theft prevention & sale of new converters.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I did a search of catalytic converter thievery where there appears to be some truth behind it.................

Bill
Oh there is a lot of truth behind it. Locally, we had a car dealership have all their CC stolen from brand new cars. However, it is uncommon for individual owners to experience this. Not much to be gained from onesies and twosies.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,858 Posts
Two of my neighbors had the catalytic convertors stolen out of their older Prius'. Apparently the cats on the older hybirds are attractive to thieves because: 1. the amount of precious metals used in their convertors is high. 2. The cats in hybrids are used less and thus are likely to still contain a good amount of the valuable stuff. Either that or since there are plenty of older Prius' on the road, there is good money to be made selling used convertors. The new parts were crazy expensive, close to $2k
I think that the convertors in new cars would also be attractive for their contents but not to be sold as used. I do think that the concentrations of the most expensive elements have reduced in most of the newer vehicles and really don't know how attractive the Ridge's convertors are.
I personally would put cat theft pretty low on my worry list.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
A coworker of mine had his cats stolen off his tundra twice. Our personal vehicles were parked in an unsecured lot for about 12 hours a day. No other vehicles were touched. Apparently some vehicles are easier to steal them off of them than others and turns out tundras were some of the easiest.
might also be a good reason not to lift your truck, maybe even lower it to make it as hard as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
Primary Cats on G1 & G2 are in the engine compartment, if you steal the secondary cat, there’s no sensors after and several have removed them to “improve the exhaust sound” and reporting no issues with the vehicle. YMMV

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It will be of interest, and some importance, that whenever one of us has our converter stolen that we report the circumstances back here so to keep an accurate accounting, would we not agree?

On further contemplation, this causes me to recall that back around the time when we purchased our 2019 there were a number of folks very upset that their Ridgeline did not come with a locking tailgate, fearing that with no lock it may be stolen.................... :devilish:

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh there is a lot of truth behind it. Locally, we had a car dealership have all their CC stolen from brand new cars. However, it is uncommon for individual owners to experience this. Not much to be gained from onesies and twosies.
I catch the news reports locally (Minneapolis suburb) on these for months. Onsie, twosies are a happening thing. A recent news report said that someone was using a tow truck to move cars a couple of blocks down the street to remove the CC. It's very real around here. I (fortunately) use a garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was excited about seeing this post because I've been reading that Catalytic converter thefts are rising quickly in this economy. They seem to target trucks because they are easy to get under. Prius' too.

Initially I was disappointed that there wasn't much usable info in this thread, however I'll take it as a good sign that others haven't experienced it. From what I gather from the posts, the only accessible Cat Converter is only a secondary so so there's less valuable materials. The other bonus we have is that the truck is relatively low to the ground for a truck.

I'll check this off my mental list of concerns for now. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Just one benefit of low ground clearance! 8/

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Weld the nuts on. It's not hard for a shop to grind them off when needed.
These guys don't waste time unbolting them from the exhaust system. They use a battery operated reciprocating saw or grinder, in and out in under 5 minutes.

Mine is lowered so I have no issues. I need a jack to do an oil change, there is no way anyone is getting under there with any tool to remove mine. Then agian the expensive materials have already been removed from mine....lol

If you are that worried about the hassle of replacement, a proximity alarm would be your best bet. Dog, camera and a shot gun to go along with it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts