Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Understood.
Sounds noisey.
yeah it would be noisy. People who steal these things on a regular basis don't usually hit individual houses in built up residential areas. They opt for a car lot with easy access to multiple vehicles and less attention or houses that are more or less out off public view/off the beaten path.

Anyone who is stealing them in a neighbourhood would probably opt for newer vehicles that are parked further away from the house. Using a wrench can be noisy and it takes longer. Agree that it's not as noisy as a saw or grinder. ;)

So parking close to your house and have a 100w+ motion light pointed at your vehicle(s) could be another deterrent.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
So parking close to your house and have a 100w+ motion light pointed at your vehicle(s) could be another deterrent.
In California, they are stealing cats from in peoples driveways. Usually between 2 and 4AM. No where near 5 minutes. Based on some of the RIng videos floating around its under a minute. As for the 100W light....I’m sure they’d appreciate seeing what they’re doing.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
In California, they are stealing cats from in peoples driveways. Usually between 2 and 4AM. No where near 5 minutes. Based on some of the RIng videos floating around its under a minute. As for the 100W light....I’m sure they’d appreciate seeing what they’re doing.
Oh wow that is an awesome demo time, how can you beat that! Quicker than a NASCAR pit crew. In that case you are f#@ked. All I can say is Sorry bout your s#!ty luck. Time to move!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Oh wow that is an awesome demo time, how can you beat that! Quicker than a NASCAR pit crew. In that case you are f#@ked. All I can say is Sorry bout your s#!ty luck. Time to move!
Yup. Nothing to demo really. Just need a new saw blade. They just blast through the pipe. Zip, Zip, Go.

And yes. We are moving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two of my neighbors had the catalytic convertors stolen out of their older Prius'. Apparently the cats on the older hybirds are attractive to thieves because: 1. the amount of precious metals used in their convertors is high. 2. The cats in hybrids are used less and thus are likely to still contain a good amount of the valuable stuff. Either that or since there are plenty of older Prius' on the road, there is good money to be made selling used convertors. The new parts were crazy expensive, close to $2k
I think that the convertors in new cars would also be attractive for their contents but not to be sold as used. I do think that the concentrations of the most expensive elements have reduced in most of the newer vehicles and really don't know how attractive the Ridge's convertors are.
I personally would put cat theft pretty low on my worry list.

Google search -
How much do junkyards pay for catalytic converters?
Metal/MaterialCurrent Price
Foreign Pre-Cat Smaller cat from foreign cars. GET QUOTE VIEW METAL DETAILS$48-$72/each
Exotic Cat Exotic catalytic converters are from foreign cars. GET QUOTE VIEW METAL DETAILS$500-$803/each
High Grade Domestic Cat Off domestic cars. GET QUOTE VIEW METAL DETAILS$145-$191/each

·
Registered
35 Posts
Weld the nuts on. It's not hard for a shop to grind them off when needed.
that would not stop them since they cut the entire deal out with a saw on both ends. they are actually worth more money to sell used than to extract what precious metal maybe be left inside. Diesel Cats cost thousands of dollars.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,705 Posts
Funny thing is, two weeks ago YouTube recommended ETCG's install of one of those anti-theft device on his Element. Watched it and was surprised that something like that still exists and people still, even in 2021, steal these things. I really thought he was just 'making some videos' to add content.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am looking for recommendations for catalytic converter anti-theft devices for 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. Have looked at CatStrap, but not sure what frame/suspension parts you would wrap the cable around.
Thanks for any help.
Afternoon Folks .. after seeing this post by jrgahl01 …. And reading many of the response I had to respond. I am new to this site and hope I can contribute on this particular situation having recently lost ours off our 2006 Ridgeline. In that aspect I can only comment with respect to our unit. So hear goes.

Re Antitheft: They are great but if you are getting one specifically to protect your Cats ( you have three, two uppers one lower) I wouldn’t waste the money. They will only access the lower
Or what the manu calls the rear and by the time the alarm goes off they will be dusting themselves off and on their way, proximity or not.

The Cats: As stated your Ridge has three (two are mounted and receive off the manifold/exhaust in the upper engine compartment (referred to as upper frt and back / cat 1 & 2) and the last one is under the vehicle pre exhaust pipe/ resonator / muffler and is referred to as rear lower Cat 3.
All three units are flange mounted/connected at in port and out port and this is where the money really starts to add up. If they get under the hood they are not going to unbolt Cat 1 & 2 and they will cut them off post in port flange and post out port flange based on exhaust flow.
What does this mean?? Definitely a new Cat for the upper Cat #1 & 2; plus a new Exhaust A pipe which drops down out from the engine compartment to lower rear Cat 3 .
If your lucky enough to only lose Cat #3 they typical cut it out pre input flange and post output flange. What does this mean if you want it flanged again a new Exhaust A Pipe and a new exhaust pipe 13 c/w resonator and muffler. Or if you want a none weld application labor and materials to weld on flared pipe extensions to your replacement Cat #3 ordered without flanges so it can be attached to the sawed off remaining pipe systems..

Pricing of Parts
OEM pricing
ranges from $950 ~ $1150 for the upper frt and back Cats #1 & #2 and $600 ~ $800 for lower rear Cat #3 at least in my locale which is Phoenix. Exhaust Pipe A pricing ranges from $489 ~ $750 and Exhaust Pipe #13 from $500 ~$900 . These prices don’t include for Cats #1 & #2 and Exhaust Pipe A all the sensors and misc parts and for Cat #3 and Exhaust Pipe 13 hanging equipment and misc parts (there are no sensors on these items).

Exhaust Pipe for 2006 Honda Ridgeline | Honda Parts Online

After Market pricing is available for all have aftermarket replacements that are good in 49 states (incl California for the pricier end units). Pricing ranges from $200 ~ $500 for Cat #1 & #2 and $150 ~ $450 for Cat #3 depending on flanged or not and by which After Market Manu.
Keep in mind a couple of these aftermarket Manu actually produce the originals for Honda as an OEM part. Just saying. So verify what plant your Ridge was assembled in and that will steer you in the right direction. Mine was in Alliston Ontario Canada sooo!!
I went to Muffler Express for pricing and online ordering which when researched deliveries were worth the wait in savings.

Catalytic Converters - Mufflers - Exhausts | Muffler Express or
FIND mY PART or
https://www.carparts.com

Testing and Emissions
As stated previously by other contributors the Ridgeline has three Cats, 2 of which have sensors (the upper #1 and #2 under the hood) which will cause and produce red light failures through current 1996 models and after OBD2 testing. The third Cat Lower #3 has no sensors and therefore does not produce any red light failures thru OBD2 testing.
So my question was can I straight pipe from Exhaust Pipe A thru to Exhaust Pipe 13 without significant failure to emissions standards.
We tested it prior to reconnecting the pipes, then installing the flaired straight pipe replacement piece at the actual AZDOT ADEQ location with no significant concerns or failures throughout and in fact had the same equivlant results as I had realized 2 months prior to my Cat being stolen when I had gone in for my reqire mandatory testing.
At the time of the test I explained to ADEQ that Cat #3 was removed, they took that information into consideration, tested the vehicle and provided the results as previously noted. I also provided to them the exploded Honda OEM parts views with my explanation. We were good to go.

Theft Protection
Apparently and I take this with a grain of salt , that aftermarket Cats are not the required thieves standard to to the inner materials used. That doesn’t make sense to me due to the fact they do have to provide the same or similar effect and result.
So if one chooses to put or reinstall a new Cat after theft consider this.
The thieves can be under and gone with your cat before you even have the time to view your remote view or even get your pants on grab your gun and get out the door.
Their whole MO is to be in and out in seconds if not minutes.
Everyone has heard of skid plates and or wire mesh safe guards, local Muffler and Exhaust shops in this area are in fact installing thick skid plated and or wire mesh guards (the later may collect more mud and debris build up) to prevent access to a quick cut and removal of the CAT.
The wire mexh entangles in the quicky cut disc and or the recip saw and prevents easy fast cutting if at all. A heavy grade skid plate heated and molded like a sound or heat baffle and welded to the frame will proved to long a time to access the Cat. Just saying.

In closing the above is the info I researched and considered prior to making my decision it took about a week of calls and visits around The Valley.
One last thing , of six HONDA dealers here in The Valley three highly recommended just go straight pipe, 2 never responded and the third really wanted to seel me OEM parts about 125% higher then the other dealers. Of all the Muffler shops I contacted not one failed to recommend a) just flair a pipe and install it straight pipe and b) they all confirmed I would have no problems passing inspection. Keeping in mind Federally the laws are pretty harsh on removals of Catalytic Converters period but when the government agencies are accepting these fixes and alternatives it must be a good repair and alternative.
Today I know of a YWCA (12 Ford Buses) a Hospital (14 Patient Transporter Vehicles ) and umpteen other reported incidences including groups being arrested and one fella with an F250 long box loaded with Cats be ing arrested and charged.
I was amazed and chuckled when I saw this all on the news until the morning I started our Ridgeline, this is not a one of pick they are going through all neighborhoods and properties for fleet and individual vehicles.
Hope this helps you all in your considerations. Good Luck and Be Safe.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,155 Posts
My son just had the catalytic convertor stolen off his 2006 Honda Element. It happened in the parking lot of a major furniture store, while he was working. He was just talking about purchasing the anti-theft device. They even left the O2 sensor hanging.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
In my area they just roll under the vehicle with a sawzall cutting the exhaust pipe before and after the CC. It is a big issue here. Some commercial vehicles have been hit 3 and 4 times.

View attachment 409832
This device is called a catclamp.
Damn, @Sparkland I keep thinking about getting one, of these or something...

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Cat replacements a huge problem here in NY with all the CARB rules. Other than making it more difficult for the scrap folks to accept a cat it's a problem or yet another reason to get an EV.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts