Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,028 Posts
Elk, let us know how installation goes and which one you chose?
That looks like a nice option. One question: Would there be any chance that the cable could shift, possibly snagging something?

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That looks like a nice option. One question: Would there be any chance that the cable could shift, possibly snagging something?
I’ll be installing this weekend. Installation is pretty straight forward. A clamp (with finger tight security screws) goes over each side of the cat. The cable feeds through each clamp and weaves around the frame and back through the clamp. The process continues until you’ve filled all the holes in the clamps. You then use a small socket wrench with the security key to tighten the clamps onto the cable. The cable should be tight enough that it’s not going to move anywhere.

Elk, let us know how installation goes and which one you chose?
Hey Carsmak it’s called a CatClamp. It runs around $150. Figured it was worth it. The primary targets in this neck of the woods are Honda’s and Toyota’s. Since we have one of each, odds are not stacked in our favor. It’s more than just the cost of the cat. It’s also the repair work of the damage they inflict and the time to deal with the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in a very small town (<6000 people) and we've had a lot of CC thefts lately. I have a few questions:
1. Is the Ridgeline especially susceptible or protected (I e., Barrier plates)?
2. Can you get a protective device? Such as a barrier/skid plate?
3. Any other (serious) ideas for protection?
4. Will the alarm generally go off if someone attempts to take it off?
5. This is the one car we leave outside, and I even wipe off the moisture every morning, so I'd like to keep it intact.
Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have also had the Catalytic Converter stolen out of my 2021 Honda Ridgeline.
Did you have to replace the entire exhaust system from the cat back when you did the repair?

·
Registered
2021 BE
2 Posts
I’ll be installing this weekend. Installation is pretty straight forward. A clamp (with finger tight security screws) goes over each side of the cat. The cable feeds through each clamp and weaves around the frame and back through the clamp. The process continues until you’ve filled all the holes in the clamps. You then use a small socket wrench with the security key to tighten the clamps onto the cable. The cable should be tight enough that it’s not going to move anywhere.

Hey Carsmak it’s called a CatClamp. It runs around $150. Figured it was worth it. The primary targets in this neck of the woods are Honda’s and Toyota’s. Since we have one of each, odds are not stacked in our favor. It’s more than just the cost of the cat. It’s also the repair work of the damage they inflict and the time to deal with the issue.

Elk - Curious how the install went, and what you think now....just read a horror story of a 2021 Ridgeline sitting at a dealer pending parts for 90 days...figure I better get on this. Thx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had mine stolen out of my 2011 Ridgeline this morning, Hear a quick zip/zip, and ran out to see car driving away. MF'ers.! Local shop asked about a Cat Security device before I get a new one put on.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
70 Posts
Am looking for recommendations for catalytic converter anti-theft devices for 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. Have looked at CatStrap, but not sure what frame/suspension parts you would wrap the cable around.
Thanks for any help.
480 volts, fish hooks under your Ridgeline, and a Smith & Wesson. 44 magnum.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,590 Posts
I wish I could weld and had a plasma table, would so make this…

Found on FB, although I think the placement is suspect.

·
Registered
2011 Crystal Black Pearl Ridgeline RTLL
32 Posts
Looks cool but a grinder or Sawzall would still cut right through it. Something similar made from stainless steel would be more effective.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
29 Posts
Have some friends traveling from central Florida to North Carolina. They stopped in Forsyth Georgia last evening for the night at a Holiday Inn Express. Came out this morning to leave and their 2004 Element was REALLY loud. This is what they found...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Wood
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber Wheel

Clean cut right behind the upstream O2 sensor and another clean cut right in front of the Cat rear flange. I would guess it probably took someone about 90 seconds with a battery powered sawzall. When they called the Forsyth police department to report the crime they got voice mail. It's almost humorous, but not really!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am looking for recommendations for catalytic converter anti-theft devices for 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. Have looked at CatStrap, but not sure what frame/suspension parts you would wrap the cable around.
Thanks for any help.
Came to this forum for advice and found a bunch of info that was largely uninformed and just inaccurate. Some of the opinions are obviously from individuals with no practical first hand knowledge or experience on this subject, so maybe my ‘very real’ experience will help others.

First of all, yes I’ve had a Honda cat stolen from a 2006 CRV in the last week. I own 5 Honda’s and my newest is a 21 Ridgeline RTL-E. So I am looking at several different theft deterrent devices or approaches for different vehicles/ages based on this wonderful experience.

This is a really big problem with no easy way to stop it and no real deterrent as the PD can’t do much about it. This is not my uninformed opinion from reading forums, this is fact. The silly comments about thieves wanting to steal an entire car lot vs individuals is just not accurate or based in reality at all, and “onesies” ARE the primary opportunity. If there’s an easy way to get multiple cats from some trucks in yard at once, without notice then sure this happens. Multiple cats from cars on a lot, yep.

In the daytime from a bar at the grocery store, yep (true story). While you’re at the gym with open windows and people working out right in front of the windows in a well lit parking lot with cars that have motion detection and dash cams with motion detection, yep (true story - my sons 2006 CRV). At 8am on a busy street at a used car lot with lots of traffic while removing 5 from Hyundais on the lot and getting noticed and chased on foot by a guy coming to work at the garage right next door?… sure yep (another true story).
These are all first hand stories of the “onesies” that the expert in this forum said they’re not interested in.

The profile of the thief…
Generally looking for a quick money fix, you fill in the “for what” reason here. Many are on foot with a backpack and sawzall ($40 at Harbor Freight and you’re an entrepreneur) some work in teams with one staying behind in a pickup truck for the harvest. They’ll roll under the vehicle unnoticed and cut in front/back of the cat and destroy oxygen sensors or whatever is in the way. A small scissor jack is often used for the cars that are low to the ground.

Why??
The market is multi tiered…
The scrap yards pay the least ($25-150). There’s a middle tier broker that buys them ($200-400) and sells to the reclaimer that extracts the precious metals (Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium) - these guys pay the most ($500-1200). Don’t believe this? Have a quick discussion with either your local PD detectives in theft division or if you have a friend that owns a reliable repair shop, ask them who the sell the cats to that they remove/replace from customer cars. There are definitely some that are more valuable to the thief due to the size of the amount of precious metals they contain (Ford trucks and vans, Hyundais, older Hondas and Toyota Prius‘s are some on the top of the list).

Antitheft…
Other than custom shaping and welding some rebar around the catalytic converter I don’t see any of the others really being of much help. Mainly because it looks pretty easy to go outside of the clamps that are sold and even some of the cables could be cut easily, granted this might take a little more time and could potentially be a deterrent if the thief is attacking a car in a busy area but they seem to have little fear when it comes to these thefts. Then I think of all the other big-talk ideas about motion detection notifying your phone (need some good running shoes and be in good shape to chase them down) or having your pitbull chase the thief down (that’s funny) or silly talk about guns. I think it’s a combo of awareness (this happens all the time even in broad daylight) using a secure garage, having insurance, maybe a good alarm will scare off some inexperienced thieves, and not leaving your vehicle unattended are the most practical. Did I say awareness? Yes this really happens ALL OF THE TIME in the nicest of neighborhoods.

Police…
they can’t do much, if they catch someone with a truck bed full of cats there’s no law that says possess them and there’s no way to ID them since there’s no VIN# that ties that part to a particular vehicle. Or if they could match up the exact cut pipes to the victims vehicle (not practical) which all makes it really hard to be traced or even discovered once sold to the scrapyard. The morning that I contacted the detective on my particular police report, I was told that I was one of six cat thefts from the previous night.

Manufacturers…
They don’t really do anything to protect these parts from theft, since they don’t stamp a number or provide any type of theft deterrent that ties the cat back to the individual vehicle. The manifold mounted cats are a great start but not all vehicles are engineered that way.

Video?
I have observed enough video of actual thieves in hoodies from cameras that were as close as 25 feet away that didn’t really help. In the used car lot example above the video actually identified a particular shipping company shirt that was worn by the assailant, but after contacting the company they had no desire to help the police department at all and would not assist in identifying the individual.

Insurance…
And finally, let’s talk about getting the vehicle repaired back to original, right?

Nope that’s not even possible because these parts are so expensive and on back order. For a 2006 CRV the cost of the catalytic converter alone was $2700 (This doesn’t include labor or all of the other parts that they may have destroyed in the process like oxygen sensors wiring harnesses cables connectors, and others) Oh by the way on back order not able to get them from the dealer. High-quality aftermarket versions are not nearly as good, are still expensive and are loud since they are not the same quality as OEM. YMMV.

Sorry for the long post, I know it seems like a bit of a rant but wanted to share some real info on this topic, vs opinion… it’s a really frustrating problem that happens every day to a lot of people. Many that may not be able to afford to repair all of the damage caused by these thieves.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,454 Posts
Came to this forum for advice and found a bunch of info that was largely uninformed and just inaccurate. Some of the opinions are obviously from individuals with no practical first hand knowledge or experience on this subject, so maybe my ‘very real’ experience will help others.

First of all, yes I’ve had a Honda cat stolen from a 2006 CRV in the last week. I own 5 Honda’s and my newest is a 21 Ridgeline RTL-E. So I am looking at several different theft deterrent devices or approaches for different vehicles/ages based on this wonderful experience.

This is a really big problem with no easy way to stop it and no real deterrent as the PD can’t do much about it. This is not my uninformed opinion from reading forums, this is fact. The silly comments about thieves wanting to steal an entire car lot vs individuals is just not accurate or based in reality at all, and “onesies” ARE the primary opportunity. If there’s an easy way to get multiple cats from some trucks in yard at once, without notice then sure this happens. Multiple cats from cars on a lot, yep.

In the daytime from a bar at the grocery store, yep (true story). While you’re at the gym with open windows and people working out right in front of the windows in a well lit parking lot with cars that have motion detection and dash cams with motion detection, yep (true story - my sons 2006 CRV). At 8am on a busy street at a used car lot with lots of traffic while removing 5 from Hyundais on the lot and getting noticed and chased on foot by a guy coming to work at the garage right next door?… sure yep (another true story).
These are all first hand stories of the “onesies” that the expert in this forum said they’re not interested in.

The profile of the thief…
Generally looking for a quick money fix, you fill in the “for what” reason here. Many are on foot with a backpack and sawzall ($40 at Harbor Freight and you’re an entrepreneur) some work in teams with one staying behind in a pickup truck for the harvest. They’ll roll under the vehicle unnoticed and cut in front/back of the cat and destroy oxygen sensors or whatever is in the way. A small scissor jack is often used for the cars that are low to the ground.

Why??
The market is multi tiered…
The scrap yards pay the least ($25-150). There’s a middle tier broker that buys them ($200-400) and sells to the reclaimer that extracts the precious metals (Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium) - these guys pay the most ($500-1200). Don’t believe this? Have a quick discussion with either your local PD detectives in theft division or if you have a friend that owns a reliable repair shop, ask them who the sell the cats to that they remove/replace from customer cars. There are definitely some that are more valuable to the thief due to the size of the amount of precious metals they contain (Ford trucks and vans, Hyundais, older Hondas and Toyota Prius‘s are some on the top of the list).

Antitheft…
Other than custom shaping and welding some rebar around the catalytic converter I don’t see any of the others really being of much help. Mainly because it looks pretty easy to go outside of the clamps that are sold and even some of the cables could be cut easily, granted this might take a little more time and could potentially be a deterrent if the thief is attacking a car in a busy area but they seem to have little fear when it comes to these thefts. Then I think of all the other big-talk ideas about motion detection notifying your phone (need some good running shoes and be in good shape to chase them down) or having your pitbull chase the thief down (that’s funny) or silly talk about guns. I think it’s a combo of awareness (this happens all the time even in broad daylight) using a secure garage, having insurance, maybe a good alarm will scare off some inexperienced thieves, and not leaving your vehicle unattended are the most practical. Did I say awareness? Yes this really happens ALL OF THE TIME in the nicest of neighborhoods.

Police…
they can’t do much, if they catch someone with a truck bed full of cats there’s no law that says possess them and there’s no way to ID them since there’s no VIN# that ties that part to a particular vehicle. Or if they could match up the exact cut pipes to the victims vehicle (not practical) which all makes it really hard to be traced or even discovered once sold to the scrapyard. The morning that I contacted the detective on my particular police report, I was told that I was one of six cat thefts from the previous night.

Manufacturers…
They don’t really do anything to protect these parts from theft, since they don’t stamp a number or provide any type of theft deterrent that ties the cat back to the individual vehicle. The manifold mounted cats are a great start but not all vehicles are engineered that way.

Video?
I have observed enough video of actual thieves in hoodies from cameras that were as close as 25 feet away that didn’t really help. In the used car lot example above the video actually identified a particular shipping company shirt that was worn by the assailant, but after contacting the company they had no desire to help the police department at all and would not assist in identifying the individual.

Insurance…
And finally, let’s talk about getting the vehicle repaired back to original, right?

Nope that’s not even possible because these parts are so expensive and on back order. For a 2006 CRV the cost of the catalytic converter alone was $2700 (This doesn’t include labor or all of the other parts that they may have destroyed in the process like oxygen sensors wiring harnesses cables connectors, and others) Oh by the way on back order not able to get them from the dealer. High-quality aftermarket versions are not nearly as good, are still expensive and are loud since they are not the same quality as OEM. YMMV.

Sorry for the long post, I know it seems like a bit of a rant but wanted to share some real info on this topic, vs opinion… it’s a really frustrating problem that happens every day to a lot of people. Many that may not be able to afford to repair all of the damage caused by these thieves.
That's quite the first post (welcome to the club!). Did you cut-n-paste this from another forum, because the ROC seems to be one of the more informative and helpful forums in the web. Or was it different advice you were looking for?

As for the cats, bolt a dozen or so of these (see pic) on the pipes upstream and downstream of the cat, it will slow the thief enough that they will pick a different target.

I've got some high-temp paint and stencils to paint my VIN on my cat, but many of these cats are just sent overseas for precious metal extraction.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's quite the first post (welcome to the club!). Did you cut-n-paste this from another forum, because the ROC seems to be one of the more informative and helpful forums in the web. Or was it different advice you were looking for?

As for the cats, bolt a dozen or so of these (see pic) on the pipes upstream and downstream of the cat, it will slow the thief enough that they will pick a different target.

I've got some high-temp paint and stencils to paint my VIN on my cat, but many of these cats are just sent overseas for precious metal extraction.
Nope, did not copy/paste that was written out of frustration last night after my unpleasant experience from the last couple of weeks of dealing with this and talking to folks locally.

Thanks for the idea, so if I understand your idea, you’re saying to install these hi temp U clamps next to each other all of the way down the pipe (before/after) the cat so they don’t have a place to cut?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,454 Posts
Nope, did not copy/paste that was written out of frustration last night after my unpleasant experience from the last couple of weeks of dealing with this and talking to folks locally.

Thanks for the idea, so if I understand your idea, you’re saying to install these hi temp U clamps next to each other all of the way down the pipe (before/after) the cat so they don’t have a place to cut?
Yes, that's the idea. It might cost you $100 or so for the clamps, and a couple hours of your time installing (a good impact wrench will help!), but it should go a long way in thwarting thieves' efforts. It will take them a lot longer to cut through those bolts (especially if they are high-grade bolts), and they will likely just move on to the next easy victim rather than waste precious minutes (and maybe their blade) on a bolted setup.

I apologize for the cut-n-paste accusation. As I mentioned, I've found the ROC to be one of the more civil, informative and helpful automotive-centric forums available.

Edit: ideally, you would want to install the clamps loosely, and double-nut the threads. Loose clamps would be a lot harder for a Sawzall to get a good grip on. On the flip side, they might cause an annoying rattle from underneath the vehicle.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts