Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 Honda Ridgeline new and within weeks inside driver’s door had a dent where I put my elbow. Apparently, I have a very boney elbow. Also bought a Honda CD/MP3 player, I listen to new purchased books on CD. Same time period it started resetting to first track and/or lost sound. Have to go to FM to get sound back and keep written notes on what track I am on. It does it when I turn truck off. Honda says it’s the CD manufactures fault, I guess all of the CD makers. Of course, only constant here is Honda CD player but it only does it 3-5 times weekly. Second player started resetting in 3 days. My dealer has been nice, replacing door panel and CD twice, Honda apparently feels it’s not their problem. Love the truck and after a 30-year relationship with Honda I wonder where their quality control and customer satisfaction has gone. Very, very unhappy and feel Honda just does not care, sorry to say. Buyer beware on the Ridgeline and Honda CD player.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
I bought a 2018 Honda Ridgeline new and within weeks inside driver’s door had a dent where I put my elbow.
Others have experienced this dent as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your replies and now I know I'm not crazy and other have the same door problem. My dealership has done a great job replacing the door twice but that's really two times to many:). Real question for me is would I have bought the great truck if I have been told that the door panel would easily dent and CD player does not work on all cd's. The answer is a BIG NO. Honda should be ashamed. This is not up to my Honda expectations and really makes me wonder about the Pilot as well. It will stop me from buying a Pilot. Thanks & stay safe. FYI mileage is 20,000. It's an low use around truck.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
"Books" on CD seem to present some challenges for many car CD players. Something about the file structure / data organization / metadata formatting that isn't accommodated well by systems that are 'music CD focused'.

There are threads here where that limitation and others of the Honda CD player have been discussed. I'll offer that IME it does a competent job of playing music CD's, albeit with no frills insofar as the information displayed. It's the only lossless music source available for the RL.

Little consolation in that for you, but it's not a problem unique to Honda. When it's a significant priority in the buying decision, rigorous testing aimed at that specific need is recommended for any vehicle's audio system. Yeah, that's difficult when the CD player is an after-purchase accessory :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Bummer about both issues.

I have no idea on the CD problem, and I realize you didn't ask for an alternative, but have you by chance tried an app that works with the public library? I have one called "Libby", and can listen to any audio book that my library has, for free, and it works great for me. I especially enjoy listening via headphones while mowing grass, etc.

Hope your two problems get resolved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies and now I know I'm not crazy and other have the same door problem. My dealership has done a great job replacing the door twice but that's really two times to many:). Real question for me is would I have bought the great truck if I have been told that the door panel would easily dent and CD player does not work on all cd's. The answer is a BIG NO. Honda should be ashamed. This is not up to my Honda expectations and really makes me wonder about the Pilot as well. It will stop me from buying a Pilot. Thanks & stay safe. FYI mileage is 20,000. It's an low use around truck.
Bummer about both issues.

I have no idea on the CD problem, and I realize you didn't ask for an alternative, but have you by chance tried an app that works with the public library? I have one called "Libby", and can listen to any audio book that my library has, for free, and it works great for me. I especially enjoy listening via headphones while mowing grass, etc.

Hope your two problems get resolved.
I'm guessing that my next truck will not have a CD player as an option and I have explored and used my iPhone. Reason I keep using CD is because I pass them around and they end up at the VA. I a Nissan Pathfinder that I use for trips and it has no problem. It is what it is and I give up. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Books" on CD seem to present some challenges for many car CD players. Something about the file structure / data organization / metadata formatting that isn't accommodated well by systems that are 'music CD focused'.

There are threads here where that limitation and others of the Honda CD player have been discussed. I'll offer that IME it does a competent job of playing music CD's, albeit with no frills insofar as the information displayed. It's the only lossless music source available for the RL.

Little consolation in that for you, but it's not a problem unique to Honda. When it's a significant priority in the buying decision, rigorous testing aimed at that specific need is recommended for any vehicle's audio system. Yeah, that's difficult when the CD player is an after-purchase accessory :(
Guess the question is should Honda make a CD player that will work on all new CD's or not? Should they tell the consumer that before they buy the CD? Guess same question for other car companies. I share my CD's with three other folks, Ford, Chev, Nissan plus my road SUV Nissan. No problems and I realize that it really is Honda's suppliers problem. They just don't credit for problems, Honda does. It is what it is. Just really dislike having to reset my CD 2-3 times a week when start up truck first thing it the morning. Stay safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts