Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, it's hot out there! I was just wondering if anyone has left CDs in the 6 disk player while their RL is parked in the hot sun all day? And if so, were there any problems with either the CDs or the player? I'm only talking about commercially produced, "store bought" CDs here. I'd like to leave them in since my commute is fairly short and it would be nice to avoid the loading/unloading process each time. Not at the cost of losing the disks or repairing the player though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think you should be okay. I am pretty sure direct exposure to sunlight is the bigger problem. I spent the past week driving (and parking) in a lot of 100+ degree weather with the same 6 CDs in the player - some homemade others not - and have no problems with them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No problems here and I am sometimes out on the job site where there is no sun and the higher elevation sun can be quite brutal here. We just beat our old record with our 9th straight day over 100.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I have been leaving a few in the center console. They feel hot when I get back in the truck, but they play fine. I just wasn't sure if the dash area wouldn't be a lot hotter and possibly do some cd cooking. I'd hate to see the bill from the dealer for melted cd extraction!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I kinda' lean towards Grok Lobster's comment. If you set your disks on the dash "in direct sunlight" they may warp. In fact, I'm sure you've seen the visor cd holders that when you have the visor down to block the sun the disks are in direct sunlight. I believe your disks are safe in the changer. If I can offer a suggestion, burn a copy of your store purchased cds to use in the truck. This way, if they become accidentally scratched (ex. you're unloading your favorite, hard to get cd to take into a very cool party to impress your friends and it inexplicably slips off your finger and hits the floor mat data side down. You quickly scramble to grab it and your foot accidentally swipes it dragging it across a few small stones that stuck to your shoe then the floor mat as you got in your truck from the Home Depot parking lot. You then try to play it in your friends player and the cd skips and gets read errors, you are asked to leave!!! THEN, you take it home and try to buff out the scratches with bug and tar remover...should I go on??), stolen, lost between the console and seat... OR you can say, "it's a copy, no biggie...I'll just make another one." and the original is safe at home. For the pennies it costs for cdr's it's well worth it.

I hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Excellent point JCH. I guess I have some burning to do to get caught up, or at least started. Thanks. I do worry about paper labels, especially in this heat. I guess that I will stick with hand writing the titles. If I did more burning I might consider a printer for the discs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live here in AZ where the tempature can stay over 100 degrees for months. I've left CD's in the changer, and never had a problem up to this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jch said:
. . . THEN, you take it home and try to buff out the scratches with bug and tar remover...

Use toothpaste and your finger to "buff" thoose out. Yuo will make many small scratches, and should remove the bigger. The players can typically read through the small ones. :)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm in Texas and it is HOT right now for sure! I never drive long enough at one time to use more than one cd so I've never loaded it with multiple discs. I put one cd in and play. But just for safety reasons, if I did stack them in there and it was going to be 100 degrees out, I would take the cds out - why chance it? The suggestion to burn a copy of any store bought cd is a good one. The cd player works and sounds okay but I sure do wish they had a headphone jack someplace.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great suggestions guys. I'm going to start burning some copies of my favorites this weekend. Good to hear that most have no problems when they do leave them in though. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should have no problem. We have owned our Ridge since May. The day after our purchase I inserted 6 CD's and play them when I am driving. Our Ridge sits in the sun everyday and we have not had a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts