Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I like the system "as-is" also. If you want it out of the center vents, just press "mode" until you get center or center/floor (whatever you prefer) and everything else will still be automatic. The defrost button will still toggle you between this setting and defrost. Simple...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Steve,

According to the manual, your suggestion should work. However, I have found that it does not seem to work as described (at least on my RL).

Here is what occurs:
Start truck on cold morning. Press Auto and set temp to 72. As the coolant is cold, the fan remains on low for about 5 minutes. If nothing else is pressed, the fan will slowly speed up as the coolant warms up. The center vents will remain closed until the air temp stabilizes and then the center vents will magically open.

If I press the Mode button prior to the coolant warming up, the airflow direction will indeed change. However, the fan also immediately jumps to High and blows out cold air for the first 5 minutes... Yes, I could then also press the fan speed button 3 times to slow the airflow until it warms up. But, then I have to guess at when the heat is flowing and remember to turn it back up... If I liked to press buttons, I would have bought the RT... :) While this might just be unique to my RTS, I was hoping that Auto was more Auto and less Manual.

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS TRUCK! (Well, besides the center vents and dead pedal, but that is another thread.) I'm just trying to work out the very few quirks that it has.

- theGhost

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The fan part I would think we may see an update to because in other Hondas the fan can be automatic or you can manually deal with the fan speed. Even my Civic does this properly. But everything else works as I would expect it to, and even in my Civic I almost never change the fan speed myself since I usually run it on full automatic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if u turn the heat all the way up does it say 77degrees and if u move it back alittle it says HI. i think mine might be broke.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
mentallyabused said:
if u turn the heat all the way up does it say 77degrees and if u move it back alittle it says HI. i think mine might be broke.
Nope. Mine says HI when turned up all the way. Move back a bit and it goes back to a number (higher than 77, I think).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
theghost said:
Steve,
If I press the Mode button prior to the coolant warming up, the airflow direction will indeed change. However, the fan also immediately jumps to High and blows out cold air for the first 5 minutes... Yes, I could then also press the fan speed button 3 times to slow the airflow until it warms up. But, then I have to guess at when the heat is flowing and remember to turn it back up... If I liked to press buttons, I would have bought the RT... :) While this might just be unique to my RTS, I was hoping that Auto was more Auto and less Manual.
Ghost,

It finally got cold enough to try the heat again and I see the problem you're talking about. Sounds like a glitch in the system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I leave mine on 72 most of the time maybe 75 if its real cold. i like to keep fan noise at a min. anyways thats why they invented jackets.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Its been cold here for a couple of weeks now and I use the Auto (lazyman) setting at 72 degrees. The center vents have NEVER done anything at this setting. They did work with the A/C this summer just fine. Anyone know where the inside thermostat is that detects cabin temp so the Auto setting does its job?

·
Registered
626 Posts
BillB said:
Its been cold here for a couple of weeks now and I use the Auto (lazyman) setting at 72 degrees. The center vents have NEVER done anything at this setting. They did work with the A/C this summer just fine. Anyone know where the inside thermostat is that detects cabin temp so the Auto setting does its job?
Heat rises. It's doing its job -- the heat comes out of the floor vents. If you want to change the mode to force the heat to come out of the center vents, use the mode button. HTH.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Flymuck, your answer about heat not coming out of center vents unless directed by mode makes sense. I still feel that auto mode should direct some heat to center top vents as a balance so it can get to back seat faster. One of te members described in this thread about the heat coming out of center vents in auto mode and that seems confusing when weighed against other members comments about it not coming out. maybe I have that gasket problem mentioned above. Time to do a bit more experimenting.

·
Registered
626 Posts
BillB said:
Flymuck, your answer about heat not coming out of center vents unless directed by mode makes sense. I still feel that auto mode should direct some heat to center top vents as a balance so it can get to back seat faster. One of te members described in this thread about the heat coming out of center vents in auto mode and that seems confusing when weighed against other members comments about it not coming out. maybe I have that gasket problem mentioned above. Time to do a bit more experimenting.
Maybe they're talking about the side vents that are also part of the dash? Heat will come out of those -- both for defrosting the side windows and for warming the hands... Of course, you have to have them open for them to do that... ;)

And, as someone else mentioned, there are separate vents for the rear seats... also, I believe some heat comes out of the defroster vents for the windshield regardless of mode, which helps to add to the ambient heat in the truck. Honda engineers are trying to do the "smart" thing when it comes to heat; I can imagine a lot of people complaining if, say, the heat *only* came out of the center vents, or if putting it on floor-mode would prevent heat from trickling out of the side vents or defroster vents...

One thing I've always liked about Hondas and other foreign cars is that for *years* they've provided a separate re-circ button... I remember my mom's Ford didn't have re-circ (it was only on re-circ when it was on "max AC") and I thought, this is dumb! We'd be driving behind some diesel thing on the highway going nuts from the fumes...

Remember, you can adjust the fan speed too if you think the cab is not warming up quickly enough!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Well I did some experimenting and sure enough the Mode method gets the heat flowing to the center vents. And I found that thermostat sensor. I did sense a strange smell when I tried the recirculate button in on position to try and minimize venting out of side vents and that "musty" smell was pretty annoying and sensed almost immediately after recirc button turned on. Smell cleared up when I turned recirc off. Side vents were unaffected by recirc in the brief time I had it on. Any guesses where that smell came from.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Bill,

The recirc button keeps air from coming through the side vents when the system is turned off. If you press the off button, you will notice some air still coming through the side vents. Pressing recirc while the system is off will stop that air.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Yes, side vents only shut off completely when entire system is off and recirc is only part of system activated. I was hoping to find a way to have heat flow specifically to vents I wanted it coming out of, but the "system" seems to want to tell me the vents it wants to use. Somewhat frustrating but there are worse things in life to worry about. Thanks again for the tips.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts