Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Center console sliding door jammed shut on 2019 RTL G2

26K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  k.a.gelderman 
#1 ·
I stored my Kindle in the center console and suspect it slide down and somehow is preventing the door from sliding open. I've tried rocking the truck and trying to move it enough to get it to slide open but no luck. Any ideas as to what I can do besides taking it in to the dealer or a body shop?:frown:

#2 ·
I had this happen with an iPad. I had to snap off the back piece from the back seat. Start at the bottom corners near the floor vents, get under the carpet and give it a good yank. You will feel a place to get your fingers. It is held on by clips. This will remove the sides of the sliding door to reveal the track and give you enough flex to get the door open. I popped mine out of the track but I put everything back without issue. I was on the road and did not have any screw drivers. I am sure being home would have it made it a little easier.

#8 ·
Ran in to a problem this morning with my center console. The cover got slid fully closed and caught one of the USB charging cables over the top of the latch. No way to get that cable out of there with it closed. Stopped at my local dealer who printed me an exploded diagram of the console which got me started.

What you will need to do if your latch gets stuck on a RTL-E trim (may differ for other trim levels)
Tools:
#2 Phillips screwdriver (14 screws to remove)
Trim panel tool (medium plastic pry bar)

Start by putting both front seats as far back as possible with the arm rests in the up position. Next remove the rubber tray that is right below the center stack. This will reveal the first two screws that have to come out. Remove and set aside. Using the trim pry bar, gentle pry between the shiny black plastic that has the cup holders and gear shifter and the sliding cover until it pops free. Gently work this up and rotate 90 degrees to get over the shifter. I did not disconnect cables. There is more than enough slack to set to the side in the passenger foot well.

Using the pry tool. gently pry at the front of the top cover that goes around the sliding door. There are just plastic clips holding it in and it comes off very easily. When you get to the back cover, gently lift up on the top cover and push both pieces toward the rear seat. This will free the back panel and allow you to easily remove the top cover. This reveals the twelve (12) screws that will need to come out to get the sliding cover off. Starting at the rear, there are two that go into the rear vent assembly, easily seen from the rear seat. Remove these screws. Next remove the five that are down either side visible from the top. Lift up and remove the rear cross bracket and the vent assembly. Next pull up on the front sides gently till the side rails come free. Once this happens, the cover will come out and you can get to what is blocking the latch. In my case, I had to pull the cord up under that front panel to get enough play in the latch to open it. Once free, I cleaned the entire assembly with a vacuum because dog hair.

Replacement was fairly straightforward. I started by taking the two side rails and getting them positioned so the rear ends were in toward the back seats. Next I slid the cover in to the side pieces. Once in, gently align the side rails over the guide pins. they should snap in with a little pressure. Next replace the front and rear cross rails. These just snap in to place. Start replacing the screws with the 2 that go in from the back and work your way forward. Hand tighten. All are going in to plastic and you don't want to break or strip a connector.

For the plastic trim, connect the top to the back cover, then seat the top on the console. Using the palm of your hand, seat the back cover in firmly starting on one lower side and finishing with the other. You may have to wrestle with this a bit to get it aligned but when it is aligned, it goes together nicely. Replace the shiny black plastic cover next, being careful of your wiring and snap in place. Replace the last two screws and the rubber mat. Job done.

I did have one extra step and removed the screw that held the driver side panel to the center stack so I could better run my dash camera power cord up to the plug.

All in all it took me around 35 minutes to complete. Nothing broken and everything works like it should. Hope this helps someone out. There are a bunch of pictures here for reference in case you have questions.

#18 ·
Ran in to a problem this morning with my center console. The cover got slid fully closed and caught one of the USB charging cables over the top of the latch. No way to get that cable out of there with it closed. Stopped at my local dealer who printed me an exploded diagram of the console which got me started. What you will need to do if your latch gets stuck on a RTL-E trim (may differ for other trim levels) Tools: #2 Phillips screwdriver (14 screws to remove) Trim panel tool (medium plastic pry bar) Start by putting both front seats as far back as possible with the arm rests in the up position. Next remove the rubber tray that is right below the center stack. This will reveal the first two screws that have to come out. Remove and set aside. Using the trim pry bar, gentle pry between the shiny black plastic that has the cup holders and gear shifter and the sliding cover until it pops free. Gently work this up and rotate 90 degrees to get over the shifter. I did not disconnect cables. There is more than enough slack to set to the side in the passenger foot well. Using the pry tool. gently pry at the front of the top cover that goes around the sliding door. There are just plastic clips holding it in and it comes off very easily. When you get to the back cover, gently lift up on the top cover and push both pieces toward the rear seat. This will free the back panel and allow you to easily remove the top cover. This reveals the twelve (12) screws that will need to come out to get the sliding cover off. Starting at the rear, there are two that go into the rear vent assembly, easily seen from the rear seat. Remove these screws. Next remove the five that are down either side visible from the top. Lift up and remove the rear cross bracket and the vent assembly. Next pull up on the front sides gently till the side rails come free. Once this happens, the cover will come out and you can get to what is blocking the latch. In my case, I had to pull the cord up under that front panel to get enough play in the latch to open it. Once free, I cleaned the entire assembly with a vacuum because dog hair. Replacement was fairly straightforward. I started by taking the two side rails and getting them positioned so the rear ends were in toward the back seats. Next I slid the cover in to the side pieces. Once in, gently align the side rails over the guide pins. they should snap in with a little pressure. Next replace the front and rear cross rails. These just snap in to place. Start replacing the screws with the 2 that go in from the back and work your way forward. Hand tighten. All are going in to plastic and you don't want to break or strip a connector. For the plastic trim, connect the top to the back cover, then seat the top on the console. Using the palm of your hand, seat the back cover in firmly starting on one lower side and finishing with the other. You may have to wrestle with this a bit to get it aligned but when it is aligned, it goes together nicely. Replace the shiny black plastic cover next, being careful of your wiring and snap in place. Replace the last two screws and the rubber mat. Job done. I did have one extra step and removed the screw that held the driver side panel to the center stack so I could better run my dash camera power cord up to the plug. All in all it took me around 35 minutes to complete. Nothing broken and everything works like it should. Hope this helps someone out. There are a bunch of pictures here for reference in case you have questions. View attachment 396811 View attachment 396812 View attachment 396813 View attachment 396814 View attachment 396815 View attachment 396816 View attachment 396817 View attachment 396818
Thank you so much. Just had to peppercorn this surgery on a 2021 pilot. Went off without a by issues due to the great directions

#12 ·
Reviving an old thread which seems to answer my question, but I too spent the day cursing Honda for the design of the roll top centre console after it stuck shut denying me access to my pack of Fishermen's Friend. So I gather beating it with a stick or prying off the back cover are the only alternatives?

#13 ·
Reviving an old thread which seems to answer my question, but I too spent the day cursing Honda for the design of the roll top center console after it stuck shut denying me access to my pack of Fishermen's Friend. So I gather beating it with a stick or prying off the back cover are the only alternatives?
Just to let you know so you'll sleep better tonight; method #1 worked, but to my dismay the pack of Fisherman's Friend was not in the console but in the jacket pocket I was wearing. Sorry if that keeps you awake now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.