Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the center bolt in the bed (photo), drilled and tapped it, and installed a larger eye bolt. This way I can tie down two dirt bikes without having to cross the tie down straps. The problem is the metal is pretty thin and the threads eventually are starting to strip. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
With my trailer i mounted two motorcycle wheel chocks onto a 2x12 . The weight of the front tires keep the 2x12 in place along with the tie downs to the truck and the middle of the 2x12. I tow two vtx1300 to FL. 1000 miles no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With my trailer i mounted two motorcycle wheel chocks onto a 2x12 . The weight of the front tires keep the 2x12 in place along with the tie downs to the truck and the middle of the 2x12. I tow two vtx1300 to FL. 1000 miles no problems.
Interesting idea, I might try that.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't trust any anchor point that isn't metal and bolted to the bed, i.e. the tiedowns. Just me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whew....I had to read that again...initially thought you had 2 VTX1300s in the bed.

Your idea is good, it keeps the wheel chocks spaced and in place and the tie downs hold the bikes in place.

Ideally if hauling a bike, a wheel chock would work best. And the side tie downs could hold the bike in place. If you wanted to make a rear tire chock from 2x4 that would help as well, but not necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whew....I had to read that again...initially thought you had 2 VTX1300s in the bed.

Your idea is good, it keeps the wheel chocks spaced and in place and the tie downs hold the bikes in place.

Ideally if hauling a bike, a wheel chock would work best. And the side tie downs could hold the bike in place. If you wanted to make a rear tire chock from 2x4 that would help as well, but not necessary.
Does your Ridgeline have a timing chain or a timing belt?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does your Ridgeline have a timing chain or a timing belt?
WTF does that have to do with securing bikes in the bed of a truck?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have two of those honda motorcycle brackets I need to install. I have had this problem in the past. I do think the only perfect solution is taking off that back panel and welding up a stronger bracket then modifying the panel to fit back on. All the metal brackets/tabs are pretty thin except the main back wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts