Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

Registered
OK smart @$$...because my RL is my 45th vehicle and I grew up with kids whose Dad's owned multiple car dealerships from Porsche to Hyundai. Throughout my life...up to today...I have very good knowledge and insight about what dealers are doing and selling in several states across the country. Most all of it is a huge RIP off. There are dealers here that charge $799 for "Paint Protection" stating it's "ceramic" which is nothing more than a spay on "ceramic" product that cost less that $30 a bottle and takes less than 15-30 to put it on. No dealer is going to give away a $1400 ceramic job for free. If the prep alone was $400, that would mean they spent, at a minimum, several hours on paint correction which, most all dealers don't know how to do, do well, or end up doing it at all. Believe what you will, but I stand behind what I say and always do mine myself so I know what was used and that is was done 100X better than most $15/hour "detailers" will do. I also invested in the proper tools to do it professionally.

If you're interested...I can sell you fabric protection...undercoating...wheel protection...glass protection...etc. Like a dealer, it costs less then 1/10 of what they'll sell it to you for, but I promise...I'll give you a great deal just like your dealer would馃槀

Enjoy your truck and, as a newbie, try to learn something on this forum ;)
Wow...45 cars thats impressive (or your really really old).

Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
Wow...45 cars thats impressive (or your really really old).
Not really old :) I just like buying new cars every year or two for me and my wife. And the 45 also includes the 7 cars I have purchased for my 3 kids over the years. This is my 10th Honda:

• 1983 Accord
  • 1986 Civic Si
  • 1987 Civic Sedan
  • 1993 Del Sol
  • 1996 Accord
  • 2006 Odyssey
  • 2012 Odyssey
  • 2012 Accord
  • 2018 Accord
  • 2022 Ridgeline

The Del Sol was my favorite...what a blast to drive with the top panel removed. My wife still talks about that car...LIME GREEN and a beauty she was...got comments all the time on that car馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I guess real ceramic coating has a hardness ratings and 9H is probably the best. Regular clear coat paint is 3H
The dealership I purchased my 22 RTL-E offers Auto Butler ceramic coating for $2000, which includes recoating every 6 months (not sure how many years). I couldn't justify that cost, and to be perfectly honest after around 6 months you can tell the coating wasn't doing a good job and it definitely wasn't slick and slippery. So I ended up purchasing a bottle of ceramic coating to redo it.

Premium Member
I have decided to stay old schools and keep using my McGuire鈥檚 Untimate every few months. I found a light weight cordless random orbital to apply the wax and it comes off easy with large microfiber towel. The secret is applying a super thin coat as when it is buffed off the wax is only microns thick and shines like crazy!

Premium Member
I have decided to stay old schools and keep using my McGuire鈥檚 Untimate every few months. I found a light weight cordless random orbital to apply the wax and it comes off easy with large microfiber towel. The secret is applying a super thin coat as when it is buffed off the wax is only microns thick and shines like crazy!
Just a question to better understand why people do what they do...why wax every few months when you can put a true 9H ceramic on your vehicle in under an hour for under $100 and it last for 3-5 years??? You just wipe it on with an applicator...let it sit about 2 minutes and easily wipe it off with a microfiber towel body panel by body panel. Again...just curious :unsure:

Premium Member
Just a question to better understand why people do what they do...why wax every few months when you can put a true 9H ceramic on your vehicle in under an hour for under $100 and it last for 3-5 years??? You just wipe it on with an applicator...let it sit about 2 minutes and easily wipe it off with a microfiber towel body panel by body panel. Again...just curious :unsure:
I do not believe in the ceramic鈥檚 longevity. Besides, for me I enjoy the process of waxing in my garage with the stereo and AC blasting, its mentally good for me.

Super Moderator
I'm still waiting for proof ceramic coatings last like mentioned. That's what clear coatings are for on a vehicle too. To make the paint last. So now we are trying to make the clear coat last what 10 years ? 20 years ? I don't believe the ceramic coats are doing that. I use Nu Finish. Once or twice a year and I'm not unhappy with the results. Smooth to the touch and water beads well between applications.

Premium Member
I do not believe in the ceramic鈥檚 longevity. Besides, for me I enjoy the process of waxing in my garage with the stereo andAC blasting, it mentally good for me.
Ceramics have been around for many years and have only gotten better over the years like most products. I can understand being skeptical about a "new" product, but these products are not new to the market or the concept of ceramic with a 9H+ hardeness has not been disputed. The product provides a hydrophobic coating like none other on the market and prevents bird droppings from etching the clear coat and sap from sticking to the vehicle among many more. It makes cleaning a breeze and the paint looks showroom new without effort.

If waxing is something you enjoy, which most folks do not, then that's a different factor and I applaud you for taking such great care of your car. For most that do not like to wax, and even hate to wash every week, ceramic is the answer. Until you try it, you will never know how incredible the results truly are. A high quality ceramic can be had for far less than $100 and it goes on and comes off easier than a wax. Just my two cents on the topic...I have no stock in any of these companies.

Reactions: GreginJaxFL

Premium Member
I'm still waiting for proof ceramic coatings last like mentioned. That's what clear coatings are for on a vehicle too. To make the paint last. So now we are trying to make the clear coat last what 10 years ? 20 years ? I don't believe the ceramic coats are doing that. I use Nu Finish. Once or twice a year and I'm not unhappy with the results. Smooth to the touch and water beads well between applications.
A clear coat and a ceramic are two totally different things like apples and oranges. Clear coats were designed to protect the paint and enhance the vehicles shine. However, they succumb to acid rain, bird poop full of acid which will etch the clear coat, oxidation plus many other things. The 9H hardness, and the properties of a ceramic, make it a lasting product that takes minimal effort to keep looking amazing. A top tier product can also handle up to 1800 degree heat and can help protect the vehicle against scratches, spray paint or other vandalous activities You want proof? Then do it to your vehicle with a high quality product and you, too, will be a believer. If I waited for proof of everything I've ever heard about or thought about doing, I'd be waiting a very long time. Ceramic is NOT snake oil and, once you try it, you will never use anything again on your vehicles. Off my soap box (for now) as there is nothing more I can say that will make you look at this differently.

Registered
Just don't let the dealer do it. 馃槀

Premium Member
Just don't let the dealer do it. 馃槀
AMEN to that...dealership's "detailing" guys are just a bunch of low paid car washers and, typically, do $hit work. Never buy any of this stuff from a dealer. You can always find a highly reputable professional detailing company to do it for the same or less if you can't stomach doing it yourself for peanuts.

Premium Member
Isn't it possible that a dealer would send it out to a reputable detail shop.
Anything is possible...just not very likely.

Premium Member
I would say it is extremely possible. Thats exactly what the dealer did where I bought my truck. I talked to the Shop that does their cars. I was curious as to the process.
What did your dealer charge you?

Premium Member
It was part of a package that included the Honda mats, tint and ceramic finish. $1900
So, what your saying is that you paid about $1500 for your ceramic鈥ight?

Registered
I really could not say it was not itemized but I really don't see why you are so obsessed with it. For what it's worth my finish looks great and I'm happy with it. The shop said that their very best finish is 2700 so I know I did not get the best finish if it makes You feel any better.

Premium Member
I really could not say it was not itemized but I really don't see why you are so obsessed with it. For what it's worth my finish looks great and I'm happy with it. The shop said that their very best finish is 2700 so I know I did not get the best finish if it makes You feel any better.
Not obsessed at all. As an EE I am very inquisitive. I also hate to see people spend all that money on something they could easily do themselves for under $100 assuming your new vehicle needed no paint correction. With paint correction, add another one time cost of about $175 for a great orbital polisher, compound and polish. These types of applications are a HUGE money maker for dealerships and detail shops. A buddy of mine owns one of the largest shops and does most all of the Porsche's, Audi's, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, etc. for the dealers in town. I have been to his shop more times than I care to share to have Xpel PPF done to each of my vehicles. He also does ceramic. I have watched it being done by guys making $15/hour. It's not difficult or hard at all, but it appears most folks are afraid of it or don't understand it. You are always better off finding a highly reputable shop to do things like PPF and/or ceramic than giving your money to the dealer allowing them to make a huge profit. The ONLY reason to pay your dealer is if you don't have the cash and want to build it into your financing. Enjoy your truck...I'm sure it looks great!

Registered
SG It's really simple. The ceramic finish was on the truck already when I bought it. It was the truck I wanted and the only one I could find within 300 miles so I bought it. I appreciate your concern but I really don't have any more time for this. Go ahead and and get the last word in so you can get your post count up and close this thing out.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts