Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Ceramix break pads installed on my 2000 exterra. the claim was that they are the quietest longest lasting break pad out there. Life time warranty, even if they fail due to wearing out!

I must say, they grabbed better and smoother than any other break I have ever felt. even when you had to break in a hurry, they just semmed to grab without a harsh grab. I have never had more than just a light dusting on the wheels of break debris. never dug into the rotor either not even a bit.

I noticed on the ridgeline in the morning when I back up and break there is what is a grinding sound in the breaks from the overnight rusting of the rotor (mostly after rain). this wears off by the time I hit the bottom of the driveway. I never felt that with the Ceramix pads.

Anyway, My point, I think I'm going to change the stock pads with these as soon as I can. I firmly believe I will get twice the milage out of them with smoother breaking.

Any thoughts on this? they cost around $70.00 just for the fronts (for the exterra) I don't know if they produce them for the ridge yet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ceramix break pads? these are awsome.

swampler said:
Why not wait until you need them to replace them? I've gone 90k to 100k miles on a set of factory pads before ('97 Ford F150 and '85 Ford Bronco II).
I might, 90,000 on stock pads, wow!, not for me, seems like 45,000-50,000 at the most. I think it was under 40K on the odyssey. you must drive a lot easier than I do.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

I find the RL brakes to be some of the quietest, smoothest, most dust free pads I have driven in a long time. If the only noise you hear is untill the bottom of the driveway, why replace them now, especially with the life of the stock pads unknown? From what I have seen of modern day brake technology, they will probably last in excess of 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

lowrider90 said:
I might, 90,000 on stack pads, wow!, not for me, seems like 45,000-50,000 at the most. I think it was under 40K on the odyssey. you must drive a lot easier than I do.
They didn't last that long on my wife's accord. She just turned 75k miles and they've been replace about a year.

I also have a lot of interstate miles, so not much braking. I have 15,900+ miles as of this morning. Purchased on 4/30. I'm almost ready for a new vehicle! ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Webwader said:
I find the RL brakes to be some of the quietest, smoothest, most dust free pads I have driven in a long time. If the only noise you hear is untill the bottom of the driveway, why replace them now, especially with the life of the stock pads unknown? From what I have seen of modern day brake technology, they will probably last in excess of 50,000 miles.
I agree about the smoothness of the ridgeline breaks, they are nice. I guess the only reason would be to get extended life of the rotor and pads. But as you said the life span of stock sre unknown. I probably wouldn't change now, but I have been thinking about it.

I still have to say it would be great to compare the feel of both types. My guess is that more than half of you would say wow its like air breaks.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

lowrider90 said:
Anyway, My point, I think I'm going to change the stock pads with these as soon as I can. I firmly believe I will get twice the milage out of them with smoother breaking.

Any thoughts on this? they cost around $70.00 just for the fronts (for the exterra) I don't know if they produce them for the ridge yet.
Knock yourself out.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

I might put those on my '05 Ody. Honda knows the current compound for the Ody causes them to grind/groan like you've never heard before when they get hot, easy to do. First time I heard it I thought I had serious trouble, alot of 05/06 Ody owners experience the same. Honda said they'd have a new compound out in Dec.

As for the Ridge, I find the braking system to be exceptional. I towed 5000lbs with surge brakes down Shasta (6% grade at some points) and had no trouble, brakes felt really strong. I also have very minimal dust, almost none, hard to tell if it's normal grime or brake dust it's so little.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Just to point out the obvious, the life span of the pads are longer than the mileage any of us have on our RLs so far. I could see changing now if the stock pads are going to wear the rotor out, but strictly for pad life it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

I hear the ceramix are real good and I hope I don't show my age but I wish they still had asbestos pads... they were the best until they found out it is best material to stop your car.. you'll survive the stop, but kill ya later with the dust!
With past vehicles I never kept em long enough to have to change pads... my guess at this point, I'll be shoppin for pads in a couple years, now I found the RL :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

Out of curiosity, since I had never heard of them, I did a web search on Ceramix brake pads. I found that they are NAPA's brand name for Dana's ceramic pads, also marketed by Carquest as Gold Ceramic and Raybestos (another Dana brand) as Quiet Stop.
I found this site www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/EvaluationBrakePads2000.pdf which is titled 2000 Evaluation Replacement Brake Pads for Police Patrol Vehicles. The point I found interesting was that in a panic stop test they fared worse than the Chevrolet Impala stock brake pads and only 0.6 ft better than the Ford Police Interceptor stock brake pads.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

Webwader said:
The point I found interesting was that in a panic stop test they fared worse than the Chevrolet Impala stock brake pads and only 0.6 ft better than the Ford Police Interceptor stock brake pads.
Sounds about right.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

I've read that ceramic pads can increase the chance of rotor warping due to the higher temperatures involved, and that they also require about 25% more pedal pressure to achieve the same amount of braking force. No first hand experience so it could be all wrong.
Personally I am very impressed with the braking on the RL. It's consistent, smooth and straight.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Webwader said:
Out of curiosity, since I had never heard of them, I did a web search on Ceramix brake pads. I found that they are NAPA's brand name for Dana's ceramic pads, also marketed by Carquest as Gold Ceramic and Raybestos (another Dana brand) as Quiet Stop.
I found this site www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/EvaluationBrakePads2000.pdf which is titled 2000 Evaluation Replacement Brake Pads for Police Patrol Vehicles. The point I found interesting was that in a panic stop test they fared worse than the Chevrolet Impala stock brake pads and only 0.6 ft better than the Ford Police Interceptor stock brake pads.
This is the kind of info I was hoping to get out of this, Thanks for the extra effort!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

This is the kind of info I was hoping to get out of this, Thanks for the extra effort!
You're welcome. That's one of the purposes of this forum; to share info and knowledge with each other.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts

Great find lowrider90, We will have to check these units out when the time comes.:)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Almost right after buying the RL and doing the first couple of car washes, I was thinking how little dust comes off these pads. Is there any correlation to make about the amount of dust versus the stopping power of the brakes in modern technology systems? I used to think that softer brakes gave off more dust and were of a higher quality in stopping power. Kind of like how softer tires grip more but wear out much quicker. My wife's fancy Volvo SUV's front rims almost turn black within a couple of weeks in comparison. And I had a similar situation with a Mercedes 560SL a few years back. The Mercedes brakes were expected to last no more than 15,000 miles and changing the pads were part of normal maintenance at that mileage interval.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

Is there any correlation to make about the amount of dust versus the stopping power of the brakes in modern technology systems?
I don't think so. Before asbestos was outlawed, brakes dust was not a problem and the braking performance varied by how the material was compounded. Back when I raced, the racing brake pads didn't dust and didn't fade, they just had to be hot to work real well.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Raybestos ceramic pads are just as good also with a lifetime warranty I put them front and back in my Nissan Maxima about 5000k miles ago and so far so good

·
Registered
41 Posts

I put Akebono ceramic pads and Brembo rotors (from Tire Rack) on a '98 Jaguar XJ8, and the results were great. No squeal, no dust. In fact, the ceramic fronts actually dusted less visibly than the conventional rears.

If ceramic pads were available for the Ridgeline, I'd definitely use them.

Bob in Nashville

1 - 20 of 36 Posts