Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 RT is at about 61,000 miles and it has been nearly 8,000 miles since I last changed my oil. Oil life says 30% currently, but for all I know, it may go to 20% any day now. I will be driving it about 200 miles in the next 10 days, then heading to Texas (1200 miles round trip) to pick up a new Casita camping trailer. Should I change my oil early, but wait until my Maintenance Minder gets to 15% before I reset it? (I change my oil, rear diff fluid, etc myself, and reset the minder when I do). Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since you're going to be towing.. My recommendation would be to do what service needs to be done now. Before the trip.

It's up to you if you want to wait to reset the maintenance minder.

I don't actually follow the maintenance minder really. I change my oil every 6 months along with wiper inserts. I average 6000-7500 every 6 months.

Every 12 months I change the air filter/in cabin filter along with what I stated I do at 6 months.

Every 24 months gets all above plus the rear diff/transfer case/transmission.

I haven't gotten to the point of needing to do the other fluids like brakes.. Etc. So that hasn't been done yet but it'll be done when the time comes and become part of the routine, when necessary.

I wait til the maintenance minder goes down to 15% before resetting. Just to see if it was going to suggest doing something I hadn't done(which it has not, at least not yet)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
It seems that just by posting this question you already know what you “should” do. I would change it as close to the day before leaving for your trip as I could so as to maximize the efficiency of oil changes. Of course if you don’t drive your vehicle much between now and the next 10 days then I suppose it doesn’t matter much. When I come to a divergence in my road I flip coins, they make the best choice for me! Heads change it now, tails wait until it reaches 15% life remaining.

Edit: just noticed you said ~200 miles between now and trip. I say wait until closer to the trip!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2017 RT is at about 61,000 miles and it has been nearly 8,000 miles since I last changed my oil. Oil life says 30% currently, but for all I know, it may go to 20% any day now. I will be driving it about 200 miles in the next 10 days, then heading to Texas (1200 miles round trip) to pick up a new Casita camping trailer. Should I change my oil early, but wait until my Maintenance Minder gets to 15% before I reset it? (I change my oil, rear diff fluid, etc myself, and reset the minder when I do). Thanks!
I wouldn't change anything until called by the MM system, which won't be until AFTER your trip.
Even if it changes to 20% tomorrow, you will still have ~2300 miles left, or double what you plan to drive.

Just check your fluids and tire pressure before you hit the road.

·
Registered
302 Posts
A little off topic, but ~how much does the Casita trailer weigh?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I change my oil early every time, and send a mid pour sample to Blackstone labs to analyze. Eventually you'll figure out the ideal OCI for the truck, towing or not towing. The MM or anything else is guess work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I change my oil early every time, and send a mid pour sample to Blackstone labs to analyze. Eventually you'll figure out the ideal OCI for the truck, towing or not towing. The MM or anything else is guess work.
The MM system has been developed over the course of 15+ years by one of the most reputable car companies in the world.
They employ a huge team of engineers with an incredible amount of resources at their disposal...
Huge R&D budgets, state of the art test facilities, hundreds of test mule vehicles, custom computer programs/simulations, in-house oil analysis, ect.

I would hardly call that "guess work."
And even if it is, it is a much more educated guess than what Mr. DeVito might make up from his oil analysis results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The MM system has been developed over the course of 15+ years by one of the most reputable car companies in the world.
They employ a huge team of engineers with an incredible amount of resources at their disposal...
Huge R&D budgets, state of the art test facilities, hundreds of test mule vehicles, custom computer programs/simulations, in-house oil analysis, ect.

I would hardly call that "guess work."
And even if it is, it is a much more educated guess than what Mr. DeVito might make up from his oil analysis results.
The same company who is having pretty serious oil dilution issues with this asinine engine design that is the 1.5T?

The same company with fairly large issues with the DI injectors in the 3.5L motor?

The same company that has dropped like a tank in the sea in regards to reliability reports?

Thanks but I don't trust a computer that doesn't actually calculate everything. I'm not saying it's not fairly accurate, I'm sure it is. But I don't put all my eggs in that basket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do! I live in Lexington and am attending UKY for Neuroscience Pre-Med. My parents live in Somerset and I typically drive down there for the weekends, when I have time that is. I rode my motorcycle over to Winchester just the other day to visit the Ale8 factory! Where up north do you live?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The same company who is having pretty serious oil dilution issues with this asinine engine design that is the 1.5T?
The same company with fairly large issues with the DI injectors in the 3.5L motor?
The same company that has dropped like a tank in the sea in regards to reliability reports?
Thanks but I don't trust a computer that doesn't actually calculate everything. I'm not saying it's not fairly accurate, I'm sure it is. But I don't put all my eggs in that basket.
So you think you can come up with a better maintenance schedule on your own, by simply sending away for an oil analysis and interpreting the results yourself???

Your personal maintenance schedule, based on a few oil results sheets, will be better than what the Honda engineers have come up with after spending hundreds of millions on research/development/testing over the last 15+ years?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do! I live in Lexington and am attending UKY for Neuroscience Pre-Med. My parents live in Somerset and I typically drive down there for the weekends, when I have time that is. I rode my motorcycle over to Winchester just the other day to visit the Ale8 factory! Where up north do you live?
I'm a UK grad myself.
I lived in Northern KY after graduating and I'm now just across the river in OH.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you think you can come up with a better maintenance schedule on your own, by simply sending away for an oil analysis and interpreting the results yourself???

Your personal maintenance schedule, based on a few oil results sheets, will be better than what the Honda engineers have come up with after spending hundreds of millions on research/development/testing over the last 15+ years?
I don't send my results out. You claimed Honda has been a reputable company for XX amount of years. I'm arguing that they have been a company on a steady decline the last decade or so. Every report out there for Honda reliability leads a rational person to that belief.

So, do I change my oil a little earlier than the MM would suggest, yes. There is literally zero harm in that. I go between 6k and 7500k between oil changes and at the 6 month mark. If I followed the MM it would roughly be 10 months/10,000 miles.

You're suggesting that a person whom is about at 30/20% oil life according to a computer, drive 1500 miles over the next two weeks(which includes a large amount of towing). Towing is going to increase the decrease in oil life faster than someone whom is not towing. Just because a computer that may not be 100% accurate is saying what their oil life is like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't send my results out. You claimed Honda has been a reputable company for XX amount of years. I'm arguing that they have been a company on a steady decline the last decade or so. Every report out there for Honda reliability leads a rational person to that belief.

So, do I change my oil a little earlier than the MM would suggest, yes. There is literally zero harm in that. I go between 6k and 7500k between oil changes and at the 6 month mark. If I followed the MM it would roughly be 10 months/10,000 miles.

You're suggesting that a person whom is about at 30/20% oil life according to a computer, drive 1500 miles over the next two weeks(which includes a large amount of towing). Towing is going to increase the decrease in oil life faster than someone whom is not towing. Just because a computer that may not be 100% accurate is saying what their oil life is like.
You need to go back and read my original post.

I was responding to a poster suggesting that owners ignore the MM, make up their own maintenance schedules based on sending away for an oil analysis, and that the MM is just "guess work."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oil changes are relatively cheap to perform. I have always changed oil and filter every 5k miles on every vehicle I own and plan to do so on my RL.

·
Super Moderator
22,688 Posts
There's nothing magic about the 15% alert except for OCD-ness. In my normal routine, that gives me about 1000 miles before it reaches 0%.... which is plenty of time for me to prepare and plan for the maintenance. I generally get 6000-7000 OCIs if I drive the Ridge a lot. But split between the old beater Civic, it just gets an annual oil change with 3000-4000 miles on it. I never used to change oil at 15% but typically at 0% or within a few hundred miles of reaching 0% until I began splitting the miles between vehicles.

The main thing is to check the level if you don't change it before your trip. And if you change it to have a happy zone, that's good too. Personally, I'd probably change it after the 200 mile trip and before the long trip, if that's convenient.

What else is due? Trans fluid? Rear diff? Transfer assembly? Filters?

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's nothing magic about the 15% alert except for OCD-ness. In my normal routine, that gives me about 1000 miles before it reaches 0%.... which is plenty of time for me to prepare and plan for the maintenance.
It is interesting to see people's psychology in reacting to the % left from the MM system.

Say a vehicle did not have the MM system, and instead used fixed 10,000 mile service intervals.
Would people be eager to rush out and have their vehicle serviced as soon as it hits 7,000 miles?
I don't think so. They might start thinking about it at 9,000 or 9,500 miles.

If it makes you sleep better to change your oil ever 3K or 5K or 7K miles, have at it.
But everyone else should know this is unnecessary. Just follow the MM and change it when it hits 0%-5%.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts