Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I got the front three spark plugs out without a hitch. Is there a trick to getting to the other three? I never felt this mentally impaired before...

Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
When you find out please post pics...lolz I was going to do the same thing and only pay a shop for 1/2 the needed labour.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The dealership wanted 300 beans - so I bought (6) Iridium plugs online for 70.
I think I need to buy one of those telescoping mirrors for the rear ones...

Anybody here ever do this service? Does the head need to come off?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The trick that I used to get the back plugs was to use a spark plug socket and two 3" extension. I would place the socket and one of the extension in the plug hole and then I would attached the second extension. Also I put a fresh piece of hose inside the socket to make sure that it held the plug when I pull them out. You have to remove one of the extension when you pull the plug out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
One trick I learned on my own was that once you put the new plugs, sometimes you may not want the hose or rubber to be tight. It is easy to take them out. But when installing them just the extension will come out and the socket is there, if you use your hand you can remove it but be ready to hurt your hand and suffer pain for a few days. I was wanted to avoid that the next time and I simply put some grease in the rubber, then they came out smooth and did not hurt my hand or spent extra time trying to remove the socket after putting the plugs. I have not done the RL plugs but I imagine it would be the same thing since I will be using the same plug socket I have. :) make sure you use conductive grease, you can use any grease but put it by using an old plug just to make sure the connector does not get any grease on it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,150 Posts
Haven't replaced the plugs on a Honda V6 yet, but had similar deep well plugs on my V6 Toyota. I used to squirt a little WD40 on the rubber in the spark plug tool to let it slip off without leaving the spark plug tool in the hole. I had to go back in with the extension and unscrew the plug to retrieve the tool before I used WD40. No problem after that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't seem to see where the rear plugs even are! LOL
You need to lean over the engine to see the back. You can feel where the coil packs are and once you have broke the screw loose you can take it out by hand. Mirror will help you see them but it is still done by feel.

On another note: I replaced the timing belt on my truck but I forgot to to rotate the crank by hand six times to make sure the belt is seated. So I had to take it to the dealer to staighten out my mess. Ended up bending two valves. So I have learn that it is not worth doing it myself. :act060:

·
Super Moderator
23,150 Posts
Ouch. That is one task I do NOT plan to do at home.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, I finally got to the rear three plugs. Took about 40 minutes leaning over the top of the engine on a ladder...

The one on the left was fouled with oil. I believe this was when it came loose a while back and started to rattle. Apparently, the shop didn't bother clean it or the coil pack before re-tightening... At a 105,000 miles they needed to be changed it seems. The dealer wanted $300. - I did it for $70.00.

You will definitely need this 3/8" set-up and the hex wrench:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They look the same. Makes me wonder if I should have pulled them sooner... or not.
I guess I like clean looking plugs even though it may not mean a darn.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
At 100k - you were due to change them. Especially with the oil leak.

Chip H.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 67K on mine and checked the front three this past weekend...they look pretty crappy as well so I'm placing an order for new ones today. Are you guys sticking to NGK, are the Denso ones good? Too many choices...

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
If all six plugs were easy to reach and replace, I would have cleaned those plugs up and put them back in. outside of the oil coated on, they look pretty good. However, given the difficulty level, I don't doubt your not wanting to do this again in another year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have 67K on mine and checked the front three this past weekend...they look pretty crappy as well so I'm placing an order for new ones today. Are you guys sticking to NGK, are the Denso ones good? Too many choices...
Ya know, I would have changed them sooner if I knew they looked like that. But, I don't know any better... not a spark plug expert. I would say - change em.
Oh, not so easy on the back three... but only took 40 minutes or so. And yes, NGK - OEM only. The computer likes it that way.

Rusty - Yes, I'll be happy not to do it again for a while...

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Just changed my wife's Corolla (midget car) spark plugs. A length of 1/2 clear vinyl tubing made the extraction of the loosened plugs and replacement of the new plugs that much easier. Used the tubing to begin threading the plugs and then used the spark socket for the rest. Hope this proves as helpful with the Ridge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have tracked the mileage on my '06 since I got it at a year old. Mileage was at 20 avg. 18 mile trips one way, 14 miles of highway. The mileage on last tank barely 17 mpg. Low mileage on truck, 55,100. I have used Costco gas since I have had the truck, even buying it on vacation and trips where possible. Dealership sez gas fortified(?) with ethanol is the culprit. I got nothing for this as I have bought gas at the same place. Should I replace the plugs? Should I replace the air filter with K&N unit?

·
Super Moderator
23,150 Posts
Tire pressure good all around? Clean air filter? No dragging brakes? (hot wheels)

My mpg has also suffered lately. I think some of it has to do with the heat... and my right foot.

My personal opinion is that the K&N is a waste of money and will not filter as well as the OEM filter. You're way early for plugs. I doubt that is the issue.

My suggestion: track a few more tanks and see if this is a passing anomaly.

Edit: you might wish to post up your info on Fuelly too. Click on one of the Fuelly pics in my sig for a link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts