Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My oil life went to 5% at 4,700 miles so I changed out my oil. I found the specified 4.5 quarts only brought me up to the middle of the dipstick. Being the anal guy that I am, pre-filling my oil filter and all, I wanted it at the top hash mark so I had to add almost another half a quart. Next time I'm just going to dump in 5 quarts and call it good knowing there's a little margin of error and I'm not going to foam my oil by adding 5 quarts. This makes it easy as I can buy the 5 quart Mobil 1 container at WalMart cheaper than any where else I've found. Still have to get the Mobil 1 filter at Autozone though, doh!

·
Registered
460 Posts
so given this info. maybe those of us who thought we were short a 1/2 quart before our first oil change, weren't short at all. i hope this is the case, didn't like the idea of losing half a quart right off the bat. thanks for the post v.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeffiam said:
so given this info. maybe those of us who thought we were short a 1/2 quart before our first oil change, weren't short at all. i hope this is the case, didn't like the idea of losing half a quart right off the bat. thanks for the post v.

Actually I think the Honda J35 engines seem to eat half a quart during break-in. I added that much to both my RL and Ody before the first oil change. Maybe I measured wrong or didn't let the oil sit long enough in the RL but I'm pretty particular about that so I'm scratching my head a little. All my previous cars the specified amount always brought me to the top of the dipstick so I'm a little wary. Best to check yourself, don't take my word on blind faith.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mine definitely ate a half quart. I checked it often.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ill assume mine did a little munching too then...............my dealer did my first oil change (7200 miles) on the house so i let them do it.....charge was for five quarts but i can't say for sure how many actual quarts/half quarts were used.

·
Registered
153 Posts
At 5,000 miles I was about a pint down. At 10,000 miles I was about half that. At 15,000 miles about the same or a little less. Will let you all know at 20,000 miles.

I've considered using the computer to change my oil but have not at this point. At the two changes the computer had 35% and 40% when I changed at 5,000 miles.

My wifes 2000 Odyssey at 87,000 miles uses no oil between changes (5,000 miles).

Tiger

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
OMG Tiger, over 15k miles!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
what is your opinion
My rl currently has 2600m oil life meter displays 70% I am takiing a trip this week to canada towing 3000lb boat approx 700m round trip.

leave the oil in or change it before the trip

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Leave the oil in until HAL tells you to change it. The oil in your engine is a "break in oil". :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You'll still have oil life left after you return. Leave it in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here. Put in 4.5 quarts and that brought the level to middle. Started the engine and let it run for 5 minutes, shut it off and checked the level 2 hours later and it was still in the middle of the dipstick. I just added another half quart of Mobil 1. I went on a 1000 mile road trip and the level is still at the top of the dipstick. So far so good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
One thing I've noticed is the oil level is very sensitive to the pitch attitude of the truck. More so than any vehicle I've owned previously. I freaked out a week after I bought my truck when I checked my oil. It was down a quart. I was on a very slight incline when I checked it. When I checked again on level ground it was fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
vertrkr said:
My oil life went to 5% at 4,700 miles so I changed out my oil. I found the specified 4.5 quarts only brought me up to the middle of the dipstick. Being the anal guy that I am, pre-filling my oil filter and all, I wanted it at the top hash mark so I had to add almost another half a quart. Next time I'm just going to dump in 5 quarts and call it good knowing there's a little margin of error and I'm not going to foam my oil by adding 5 quarts. This makes it easy as I can buy the 5 quart Mobil 1 container at WalMart cheaper than any where else I've found. Still have to get the Mobil 1 filter at Autozone though, doh!
Changed my oil at 4500 and just put in the 5 qts.. I think that's fine..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mines running fairly true. Averaging about a 1/2 pint low between oil changes. The first change was @ 5,000 and it was about a pint low, the second was changed @ 9850 and the third was at 15100 and both of those were about 1/2 pint low. I had a Ford ranger for 13 years and had over 120000 when I sold it. From the day I bought it, it used 1/2 quart between changes (every 3 or 4 thousand miles). My buddy that bought it, has put another 40000 on it and she's still doing the same thing and is being run harder than ever. I guess some vehicles, it's just the nature of the beast. :)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Does Mobil1 require a filter designed for this oil?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Nope. I'm using a Supertech, others are using factory or a Mobil1 filter.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
You are mentioning using Mobil 1 oil. Are you using Mobil 1 synthetic ?
Synthetic Mobil 1 is what I use in my 3000gtvr4 because of twin turbos.
Was thinking of using it in my new RTL but Honda seems so fussy about using their oil regarding warranties.

Whats the word out there on good oil for the RL ?
Got 1042 miles on mine and will need to make a decision soon.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mobil1 synthetic 5W-20.

I would encourage you to keep the break-in oil in the sump as long as possible. Change it out when the oil life sensor tells you to, between 5000-7500 miles. After that, change it whenever you like, but the break-in oil is specially designed for your motor, and changing it out early will only prolong the break-in period. I'd also suggest that since you're over 1,000 miles, give the motor a few full throttle shots to the redline to loosen it up.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree with shovelhd, let the monitor tell you when to change oil. I have been going to a forum (bobistheoilguy.com) where all the oil geeks hang out. These guys do all kinds of oil analysis and each person seems to have a different idea about the oil to use, when to change it, what oil is best, etc., etc. There are no set answers.

One thing I have learned over there however, is that today's 5W20 oils (which is what Honda recommends for the Ridgeline under normal use) are all very, very good and are bringing in numbers equal to that of some synthetics on many used oil analysis'. Some of the top ranked are Chevron Supreme, Havoline and Motorcraft, among others. Some are synthetic blends, such as the Motorcraft 5W20 (and at $1.88 at WalMart is a true value).

In my case, since I do not drive my Ridge all that often and when I do it is mostly short trips, I have to be more concerned about sludge build up and moisture not being burned off. I now try to make sure I get the oil temp up once a week at least with a 50 mile or so trip. In any event, an oil high in moly content is recommended for my kind of driving and I'm starting to learn that Honda engines like a high moly oil anyway. In synthetics, RedLine has lots of moly and in dino oil, Havoline is one of those with a heavy moly content.

So much depends on when you want to change oil, your driving habits, conditions, etc. that it is almost impossible to make specific recommendations. But going by the oil life monitor and using quality, name brand 5W20 should at least let you sleep at night knowing your RL is being well protected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts