Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Motor Trend mag today, in the MT Confidential section, the slider volume control will be replaced with a volume knob in all Honda products. That didn't take long!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a Honda person and have owned over 20 Hondas...they are great reliable transportation. I waited for the G2 Ridgeline with great anticipation and was disappointed. Honda needs to change the following in 2018:

- Add XM capapbilty to the lower priced Ridgeline. XM is sometimes all we can get in the wilderness of Texas ranches.

- Get rid of the floor parking brake as it takes up foot room. A hand operated parking brake is just as functional and gives us tall guys some leg room.

- We need a higher ground clearance to get through the snow and mud. The 7 and a half inch front ground clearance is a joke as it acts like a snow plow when going through even minor snow drifts.

- Figure out how to put a full size spare on the truck. When your on a Texas dirt road, the tiny "donut style" spare is not functional when you are 75 to 100 miles away from any tire repair shop.

- The finish is not up to Honda quality...doors are not aligned correctly and there are items in the cab that rattle annoyingly even when on smooth highway roads.

-Give us a lockable tail gate. The pop-a-lock after market option breaks too easy.

- Put the Volume control knobs back on RTL-T and above models. Put the CD player back in for us people who listen to audio books in the long rides of West Texas.

- The black interiors are not good for hot climates ... mix the interiors up to allow for lighter interior combinations. A nice tan exterior color would be nice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aggie: All of your requested changes are design updates but ONE, which I consider the most important. That would be the quality control/fit-n-finish. Honda has been slipping and consumers see it. I've owned six Hondas and the trend of poor QC concerns me. I typically keep my vehicles for 200K miles and grew accustomed to the reliability of their brand..... not anymore.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
So, folks want a sliding window, XM, and sensing on lower trims (understandable). Just nix the lower trims and add the above... and reduce the manufacturing cost. Manufacturing would be less expensive (and they did it for Canada anyway).

Then they could offer:
* A FWD (Carplay, Android Auto Compatible, no Garmin) standard with a manual sliding rear window, SXM, and Sensing and LED headlights).
* A FWD with above, Bed Audio, Nav, ventilated seats, & Power Mirrors, and Walk-Away Fail, AC inverter, sensing wipers, power sliding window, and moonroof.
* Same offerings with AWD.

Four trims total.

Simplified line manufacturing, and happier customer base for climates not needing AWD. And add an Accessory Mode transition to shut off on all trims. Give Canada the same trim selections, but include a complimentary hockey puck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
While I am fine with the volume slider and use of steering wheel volume control, I would appreciate the new fingerprint resistant screens out on other Hondas. I put on a screen protector but always good to have a clean OEM look. Not that it matters as of course in 5 years current technology will be obsolete and I may be looking towards aftermarket head units.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sincerely hope features included with the different trim levels will be revisited for 2018. A few basic interior amenities in particular are missing from the mid-range trim levels. For example illuminated visor vanity mirrors are not included on RTL when more impressive and costly features such as 10 way power adjusted and heated leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, and garage door opener are included. The local Honda dealer said it would cost $500 to retrofit with sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors and run wiring from the fuse block (its a different wiring harness). It couldn't have cost Honda but a few dollars to include this common basic amenity in the mid-range trims. One could also question not including automatic dimming rearview mirror on RTL and including conversation mirror with sunglasses holder only on RTL-E and BE. Things like these that cost only a few dollars should not be part of the differences in trim levels.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Honda could consider going to a single wiring harness(s) for all models. That would simplify assembly. If they did that, some additional accessories could be added by the dealer or DIY for less cost. For example, if the cabling and basic logic was included for the Inverter or the lighted mirrors, the accessory could then be more easily added. Some, like sensor packages, wouldn't be practical, but others would be easy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I must be easy to please...
I'm fine w/ my RTL-T exactly as is... (added a screen protector... and a few farkles... that's it...)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I sincerely hope features included with the different trim levels will be revisited for 2018. A few basic interior amenities in particular are missing from the mid-range trim levels. For example illuminated visor vanity mirrors are not included on RTL
At least my last four vehicles, going back to 1990 have had illuminated visor mirrors. I can't say I remember using one a single time, never mind caring they had lights. As for the conversation mirror, I think its a joke and should be an embarrassment to Honda. Completely useless and hampers the use of the sunglasses holder for its intended purpose.

If I had to pick one item that I think should be carried through all trim levels, I would have to say good safe LED (or HID) lighting. There is no excuse for a vehicle being sold today without quality headlights. Safety should trump all convenience items. I made a special trip to the dealership at night to test drive the RL in the dark to see if the lights were satisfactory to me. The deal wouldn't have happened if they weren't.

Second would be the sliding back window. That one just doesn't make sense to me, but I do realize it is common across brands to offer the fixed window on lower end models. Again, I've had one since 1990 and use it all the time for ventilation on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Black Edition and the fit and finish is excellent. Took delivery in early November, 2016 - maybe they got some of the issues addressed at the factory. I have about 7,500 miles on the BE and have not had one rattle yet..the only noise is occasional clunk from the brakes.

If I had a wish-list at the top of the list would be a lockable tailgate and second would be lighting in the storage area itself - not just in the truck bed. The third would be a firmer lumbar setting and lumbar added to the passenger seat...at least my wife would like that!

I would also like the CD player addition to be a much cheaper and easier to install option (have it prewired and be "install, plug and play"). I listen to books on CD from the library all the time and have to "illegally" burn them to a file to play off my iPhone.

I have been extremely happy with my purchase. Have not been back to the dealer delivery since for any warranty issues.

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
aggie 1974 said:
-Give us a lockable tail gate. The pop-a-lock after market option breaks too easy.

I'd like to hear more about it breaking too easy, since I've been considering getting one for my new RTL-E.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
aggie 1974 said:

I'd like to hear more about it breaking too easy, since I've been considering getting one for my new RTL-E.
Yes, first complaint I've seen, other than one user having some installation grief.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Let's hope they put the moonroof on at least the RTL also.
Agreed, I thought it was crazy that you had to go all the way to "top of the line" just to get that, and the rear slider too. The RTL was always the top of the line. Stupid decision by Honda if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts