Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my first oil change and was wondering if there is any thing tricky about the oil filter? Have been changing my own engine oil/filter since about 1951 and would not even been able to find the filter on my 2017 Jeep Wrangler without the help from the Wrangler Forum. You actually just change the element inside a canister located on top of the engine and about the size of a 12 oz concentrated orange juice can with a screw on cap.
Hope Ridgelines not something weird like this. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's right behind the passenger wheel where they always are on Honda V6s. The cars keep moving around the engine but the engine stays the same. On this one they block it pretty good and there is no good way to let it drain without drenching the entire chassis. It dribbles for the next week or so. Pretty tough to get a handle on it too. I use an oil filter type of channel lock pliers with teeth. Not pretty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Always wonder if the auto design engineers are paid a premium salary if they can design maintenance items so hard to do that the owner will have to go to the dealership and pay astronomical hourly rate for the mechanic to do the maintenance.
I had a 1970 Pontiac that in order to change the heat/air fan motor (which inveirably would burn out since it ran all the time in order to always have fresh air in the cabin) you had to pull the passenger side fender well to reach it. Must have taken the engineers years to figure that out.

·
Administrator
14,575 Posts
...there is no good way to let it drain without drenching the entire chassis. It dribbles for the next week or so. Pretty tough to get a handle on it too. I use an oil filter type of channel lock pliers with teeth. Not pretty.
You can use a Honda VSB02C000034 "oil deflector".

"

And a Honda 07AAA-PLCA100 "oil filter wrench".

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It's right behind the passenger wheel where they always are on Honda V6s. The cars keep moving around the engine but the engine stays the same. On this one they block it pretty good and there is no good way to let it drain without drenching the entire chassis. It dribbles for the next week or so. Pretty tough to get a handle on it too. I use an oil filter type of channel lock pliers with teeth. Not pretty.
I've seen people put a plastic cup over the filter so it drains into the cup instead of all over the frame. If you don't use the cup method, no matter how well you think you are cleaning the oil off the frame, you always wind up with some oil drips on your driveway or garage floor. I usually put some oil dry or pig mat under the frame for a while after changing the oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let someone else do it. It makes a mess. For the couple bucks more you save yourself the aggravation , its not worth getting rid of the oil etc. My local guy does it for 20.00. I take my own oil and filter and he's just fine with it. Not only that I wait and watch and get a chance to take a peak under the truck.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
538 Posts
You can use a Honda VSB02C000034 "oil deflector".

" View attachment 400784
And a Honda 07AAA-PLCA100 "oil filter wrench".

View attachment 400785
I use this oil deflector. It works well if the truck is level but if I only jack up the front, I get a little spillage on the frame, which then drips on the floor. My filter wrench is like that one, but made by Toyota. I can’t get a ratchet on it, but it works well using a wrench.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,030 Posts
Let someone else do it. It makes a mess. For the couple bucks more you save yourself the aggravation , its not worth getting rid of the oil etc. My local guy does it for 20.00. I take my own oil and filter and he's just fine with it. Not only that I wait and watch and get a chance to take a peak under the truck.
Learning all the processes and performing all your own routine maintenance is the only way I have have found to be sure that the services are being done correctly. With a bit of research you will know more about properly maintaining your vehicle than just about anyone you can hire to do it and you will most certainly care more about it. Modest tool purchases are all that is required for the routine stuff. Properly disposing of used fluids means taking a trip to your local dump / hazmat pickup spots a couple times of year.
I've never been much of a spectator and I think it would be rare to find a mechanic willing to let you poke around under the vehicle while they are changing your oil for $20.
Aggravation? I find it very satisfying that I can perform all the routine (as well as many significant repairs) myself. Again I know that the work is being done correctly by someone who cares about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Like has been mentioned on other areas of the forum if you loosen the filter with the wrench first and then put a quart oil freezer zip lock bag around it and then remove it will eliminate 99% of the mess into the bag. Seal it up and ditch it all. (or recycle oil and filter)

Steve
I went the zip lock bag route (fold over the zip part twice to create a large catch opening). The Zip Lock bag route saved me a lot of grief. Before this- the oil would accumulate inside my Burtman Skid plate and drip for days. FWIW, I also have the Fumoto Valve which makes oil changes faster

·
Registered
66 Posts
Learning all the processes and performing all your own routine maintenance is the only way I have have found to be sure that the services are being done correctly. With a bit of research you will know more about properly maintaining your vehicle than just about anyone you can hire to do it and you will most certainly care more about it. Modest tool purchases are all that is required for the routine stuff. Properly disposing of used fluids means taking a trip to your local dump / hazmat pickup spots a couple times of year.
I've never been much of a spectator and I think it would be rare to find a mechanic willing to let you poke around under the vehicle while they are changing your oil for $20.
Aggravation? I find it very satisfying that I can perform all the routine (as well as many significant repairs) myself. Again I know that the work is being done correctly by someone who cares about it.
Laugh out Loud.
Let me tell you about myself Ive been an ASE Master Auto tech Since 1985. And Im still currently an ASE Master Tech. This is how I have made my living. 2 Mobil Stations with Repair and 1 Private shop. I have a good relationship with my local shop. Everybody needs one. You keep watching all those You Tube videos and you will get burned my friend. I don't need you to tell me that I need to learn about how to change my oil or perform any maintenance on my cars trucks motorcycles etc.. I changed more oil than you have ever seen. Lets add it up. 30.00 for oil, 10 for filter, 3 for brake clean to clean up the mess. Drive 30 minutes to the dump. Lay on my back with oil up to my armpit. So I should keep this used oil around the house and take it to the dump when it piles up? You keep used tires too? So don't have to pay disposal fee. You have taught me nothing. Don't worry I have plenty of tools over the last 40 years. I am glad you are sill learning keep on learning thats what life is all about. I learned this...... TIME IS MONEY my friend. Changing my own oil in retirement is a total waste of my time. How much profit do you think a shop makes on an oil change. Almost Nothing Its a leader to get you in the door! Believe me he loves my tax free 20. I bet your the same guy who drives 20 minutes to save .02 a gallon on cheap fuel. Some day you will learn the hard way. Tell me about all those significant repairs. I'd love to hear about them . Did you change your spark plugs. WOW

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
56 Posts
Please report back on if you needed the adapter or not.
Yup, will do. I didn't know if I would need it but ordered it anyway just in case. Seems some here do and some don't use it. Will return if unused. Might be awhile since I only have 350 miles on it! Plan on changing it out sooner than required.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like has been mentioned on other areas of the forum if you loosen the filter with the wrench first and then put a quart oil freezer zip lock bag around it and then remove it will eliminate 99% of the mess into the bag. Seal it up and ditch it all. (or recycle oil and filter)
This. Been using the bag trick for years. Works well and just about zero mess.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,030 Posts
Laugh out Loud.
Let me tell you about myself Ive been an ASE Master Auto tech Since 1985. And Im still currently an ASE Master Tech. This is how I have made my living. 2 Mobil Stations with Repair and 1 Private shop. I have a good relationship with my local shop. Everybody needs one. You keep watching all those You Tube videos and you will get burned my friend. I don't need you to tell me that I need to learn about how to change my oil or perform any maintenance on my cars trucks motorcycles etc.. I changed more oil than you have ever seen. Lets add it up. 30.00 for oil, 10 for filter, 3 for brake clean to clean up the mess. Drive 30 minutes to the dump. Lay on my back with oil up to my armpit. So I should keep this used oil around the house and take it to the dump when it piles up? You keep used tires too? So don't have to pay disposal fee. You have taught me nothing. Don't worry I have plenty of tools over the last 40 years. I am glad you are sill learning keep on learning thats what life is all about. I learned this...... TIME IS MONEY my friend. Changing my own oil in retirement is a total waste of my time. How much profit do you think a shop makes on an oil change. Almost Nothing Its a leader to get you in the door! Believe me he loves my tax free 20. I bet your the same guy who drives 20 minutes to save .02 a gallon on cheap fuel. Some day you will learn the hard way. Tell me about all those significant repairs. I'd love to hear about them . Did you change your spark plugs. WOW
I do reno for a living and the last thing I want to do is do work on my own house when I get home. Sounds like you are burned out on working on cars which I get.
Based on your initial comment I must admit that I assumed you were a leave to the pros kind of person because you haven't the skills or interest in it. Sounds like you have the skills just not the interest.
That said you should loose a good bit of the attitude particularly in a thread where the OP is actively asking for info on changing the oil in his vehicle. My response to your comments was in disagreement but not aimed at being insulting. You are suggesting I am a cheapskate who only thinks he knows how to do automotive repairs. How the F do you know? I'm not going to waste my time giving you my resume. Do some searching on this site if you like. I've been around a while and have posted on many repairs / upgrades.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like been said above, do it yourself and you know it's done right. I have a free oil change coming on both '17 Jeep and '19 Ridgeline, but found out last year Jeep guys can't even rotate tires like the manual says to. Brother had a shop change the oil in his van a couple years ago and when he got back home he noticed oil drips on his driveway later in the day. Oil pan plug wasn't even finger tight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife had been taking her Rogue to the Nissan dealer to get the oil changed since there were some free ones included. I changed her oil with Supertech this last time and she told me a couple of weeks ago that her avg MPG on the display had gone up .5mpg since the oil change. It had been the same for a long time.

I'm not 100% convinced just yet that the oil made that much of a difference, but if it holds over time it could make sense. I think the dealer probably uses really cheap bulk oil. I wouldn't worry about it causing any issues, but if I can change it myself with the cheap walmart stuff and get better performance, why not? I used a topsider and a ziploc bag for the filter and it was pretty simple with very little mess.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
143 Posts

Honda gave us a deflector similar, but it was blue, for earlier models. Used it once, didn't like. Ever since I've been using a piece of plastic I cut up from a coolant jug. I flexes enough to jam it where I want it & deflects the oil away from things.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.