Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Laugh out Loud.
Let me tell you about myself Ive been an ASE Master Auto tech Since 1985. And Im still currently an ASE Master Tech. This is how I have made my living. 2 Mobil Stations with Repair and 1 Private shop. I have a good relationship with my local shop. Everybody needs one. You keep watching all those You Tube videos and you will get burned my friend. I don't need you to tell me that I need to learn about how to change my oil or perform any maintenance on my cars trucks motorcycles etc.. I changed more oil than you have ever seen. Lets add it up. 30.00 for oil, 10 for filter, 3 for brake clean to clean up the mess. Drive 30 minutes to the dump. Lay on my back with oil up to my armpit. So I should keep this used oil around the house and take it to the dump when it piles up? You keep used tires too? So don't have to pay disposal fee. You have taught me nothing. Don't worry I have plenty of tools over the last 40 years. I am glad you are sill learning keep on learning thats what life is all about. I learned this...... TIME IS MONEY my friend. Changing my own oil in retirement is a total waste of my time. How much profit do you think a shop makes on an oil change. Almost Nothing Its a leader to get you in the door! Believe me he loves my tax free 20. I bet your the same guy who drives 20 minutes to save .02 a gallon on cheap fuel. Some day you will learn the hard way. Tell me about all those significant repairs. I'd love to hear about them . Did you change your spark plugs. WOW
Being a "shade tree" mechanic since I was in my teens I can say that I've just about done it all... from dropping transmissions and rebuilding them to brakes, injector replacements, head gaskets, broken exhaust manifold bolts... the list goes on. I'm not ASE certified, but quite honestly, the "professional" work I've seen done on my vehicles at dealerships is embarrassing. I won't allow any ham-fisted bloke to over torque bolts, crack plastic pieces, lose fasteners and then just say "screw it, the customer will never know" and generally just not give a damn to touch my vehicles anymore. There ARE great mechanics at most shops and dealerships... but my luck dictates that I'll get the crappy one. So I choose to change my own oil and do just about everything that doesn't require some special tool or programmer to accomplish. I am also retired, but it keeps me young feeling inside to still wrench on my cars. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let someone else do it. It makes a mess. For the couple bucks more you save yourself the aggravation , its not worth getting rid of the oil etc. My local guy does it for 20.00. I take my own oil and filter and he's just fine with it. Not only that I wait and watch and get a chance to take a peak under the truck.
This Is My Original post . Its one mans opinion. Im I not allowed to have an opinion. If you don't like my opinion move on. You guys have missed the whole point. I choose not to lay on my back and waste my time doing it. Its a mess plain and simple . I don't appreciate being called a liar and someone telling me I need to learn how to perform my own maintenance and the process. EURBAN knows nothing about me. He took my original post and went completely OFF TOPIC with it. His post had nothing to do with the original question asked by 4razorback. His post was an attack at me if it wasn't he would not have quoted me in it. I don't take kindly to that. Heres my TRICK. I take my Mobil 1 and Mobil1 filter to my local shop and he does it for 20 bucks. Thats the TRICK. I have owned 4 Ridgeline's and a CR-Z in the last 14 years. I have done my tour of duty changing oil for the last 40 years. I also work at Nissan Flat Rate in my early years so I also know what that crap shoot is all about as well . I was oil boy once too. WHY DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY OWN OIL. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I am also retired, but it keeps me young feeling inside to still wrench on my cars. :)
I could agree with you more. I don't mess with oil any more not worth my time.

ASE = Passed the test.
Go take them, you pass them all, I will cut you a check. Edit: If you don't already have them.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,018 Posts
You sir don't know when to quit.
This is an internet forum. Not everyone is going do agree with you. It's not a personal attack even when someone quotes what you have said. . .That's so we all understand what a comment is in reference to. Right?

Everyone can read your first post; it wasn't so long ago. You don't need to condescend by reminding them / us. . .How does arguing that he should have someone else change his oil have anything to do with is request for advice on the specifics of changing the Ridgeline's oil. Is he a child that needs to be reminded of that? He's made up his mind and wants help with the project. Do I need to argue for the opposite? Not really but your suggestion was thrown out there so I threw out my thoughts on the subject. Seems like we have both taken this thread off topic.

Your post directed at me was truly personal and insulting. Its right there for you and everyone else to read. You clearly took my disagreement as a personal attack and I have previously offered that that wasn't my intent. I don't think that I could possibly take your response as anything but insulting. Honestly you should have stopped after you explained your expertise.

We have said our piece and now I think it's time to move on . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,399 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That's what we have. No personal attacks are allowed though. Keep them up and it's a possibility of a "ban hammer" (as we like to call it on another forum). So, it's up to all of you to practice "tolerance" and I'm going to help out by locking this thread.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,165 Posts
Since I have the privilege of being able to respond to a closed thread, I'll take the liberty to do so.

All posters are encouraged to discuss openly and freely up to the point where personal attacks come into play. You can make your point without being insulting, arrogant, or condescending. If not, you will be invited to leave, one way or another.

'nuff said (and thanks to moderator @stevem5215 for the thread lock).

As to the original point of this thread, I find it least messy to simply put a shop towel over the frame member below the oil filter and use a quart freezer zip lock around the filter as I loosen it. I rarely if ever have to clean any oil off the subframe. What the ziplock doesn't catch just falls on the shop towel. And it's easy to get to the oil filter when the passenger tire is removed... as it is when I do my normal oil changes.

I wish I could say the same about draining the tranny fluid. That is such a thin liquid that it tends to splash... a lot... if I'm not careful enough. Like a couple days ago when I changed the tranny fluid for the umpteenth time in my wife's Pilot. Boy, did I make a mess! The trick here is to elevate the catch basin so the old fluid doesn't have to fall as far (I always have my vehicle up on 4 jackstands and do a tire rotation/brake pad/guide pin check during normal OCIs). I just forgot to elevate my catch pan this time. :rolleyes:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.