Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 06 has 172,000 miles and my handling is crap. I checked underneath and my right rear stabilizer is detached and bent at nearly a 90 degree angle. Looks like the strut is leaking as well. With my mileage I have decided to change all 4 struts and stabilizer links. Maybe a 2” lift while I’m at it. I do a lot of dirt mountain road driving when I travel, so I drive it pretty hard.

The inside CV joints have been spitting grease for a while, but I noticed the right inside boot came off the clamp and the joint is exposed. Should I swap my axles as well or just get new boots? I haven’t noticed any bad noises, just terrible handling over bumps and washboard roads. I’ll attach photos. (Bent link, right and left CV)

I was REALLY disappointed to find that nobody makes upgraded struts for the Ridgeline. Kinda makes me want to sell it and go Toyota.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Changed my originals out at 125,000 miles because of tire cupping issues. That was several years ago and they installed lifetime warranty shocks and struts. I just had my tires rotated a few days ago and had the shocks and struts checked out at 304,000 miles. I don't know how many miles you expect to accumulate on your Ridge but I'm heading to 400,000 and I am not concerned with shocks and struts.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Rock Auto has the entire strut assembly (strut, mount, coil spring) on sale right now for Gen 1 Ridgelines. They also have axle shafts and everything else you might need. I know that some on the forum will recommend you go the OEM axle shaft route, but I've used many, many shafts from quality aftermarket manufacturers and rarely had an issue.
Edit: KYB is also offering rebates on their struts.

KYB Rebate

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Somewhere there is a video of a Gen 2 going against a Toyota on dirt roads in Death Valley. The gen 2 still had working shocks and struts at the end of the trial. I understand the Toyota didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
My 06 has 172,000 miles and my handling is crap...I was REALLY disappointed to find that nobody makes upgraded struts for the Ridgeline. Kinda makes me want to sell it and go Toyota.
I can understand your disappointment after only 172, 000 miles of neglect and abuse. Perhaps you should go with a Toyota product.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand your disappointment after only 172, 000 miles of neglect and abuse. Perhaps you should go with a Toyota product.
Neglect and abuse? I said I was disappointed that there we no options for performance upgrades. I understand that parts will need to be replaced.

I don't abuse my vehicle, but I don't baby it. I drive it down roads with bumps. I take it out of the garage and drive it when it rains. Neglect would be if I discovered these issues and did nothing. Thanks for chiming in though. I'm glad the Ridgeline is working great for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rock Auto has the entire strut assembly (strut, mount, coil spring) on sale right now for Gen 1 Ridgelines. They also have axle shafts and everything else you might need. I know that some on the forum will recommend you go the OEM axle shaft route, but I've used many, many shafts from quality aftermarket manufacturers and rarely had an issue.
Edit: KYB is also offering rebates on their struts.

KYB Rebate
Sweet, thanks! Now I'm considering going with the assembly instead of messing with a spring compressor!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sweet, thanks! Now I'm considering going with the assembly instead of messing with a spring compressor!
Yeah, swapping springs on struts can be a pain in the butt. I have access to a wall mounted pneumatic spring compressor, and I still hate doing it. You also get a new strut mount with the assembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, swapping springs on struts can be a pain in the butt. I have access to a wall mounted pneumatic spring compressor, and I still hate doing it. You also get a new strut mount with the assembly.
I have a new question. I noticed that lift kits come with 2 bar links. I had planned on getting MOOG bar links. Do the lift kits come with bar links because I need a different length? And why does the kit only come with 2 if I'm putting spacers on all 4 corners?

And another one... which aftermarket axle half shafts have you had luck with installing?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a new question. I noticed that lift kits come with 2 bar links. I had planned on getting MOOG bar links. Do the lift kits come with bar links because I need a different length? And why does the kit only come with 2 if I'm putting spacers on all 4 corners?

And another one... which aftermarket axle half shafts have you had luck with installing?
You only need longer links for the front. The longer links aren't required for the rear. I would use a new, not remanufactured, shaft from Napa. Cardone makes a good one also. Get a new one. Sometimes the inner joints on the remans cause a vibration. Moog also makes good shafts.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My only goal with the lift is more ground clearance.
Your not going to gain that much with a lift, that said it depends on your off road driving habits and how hard you push it. Going by those pics you have a lot going on down there. Struts?, CVs for sure, lift? then add a taller tire for a bit more ground clearance your talkin $$$$$$ is it worth it to you. If you just want it to keep going start with those CVs..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your not going to gain that much with a lift, that said it depends on your off road driving habits and how hard you push it. Going by those pics you have a lot going on down there. Struts?, CVs for sure, lift? then add a taller tire for a bit more ground clearance your talkin $$$$$$ is it worth it to you. If you just want it to keep going start with those CVs..........
Some opinions on the CVs is what I was really after. I already have a bigger tire... they rubbed the mudflaps a little when I first got them. 2 inches matters to me when I'm driving down rough roads. So yeah, I think I'm gonna swap out the whole drive shaft assemblies.

My truck has been paid off for a while. I'm fine with spending the money to fix it right and get what I want out of it. I'm doing the work myself, so it gives me an excuse to buy an impact wrench. The parts, lift, and tools will come in way below what a shop would charge, plus I'll gain the experience and confidence to replace these parts again when they break. In the past year I have replaced the alternator, battery, front rotors and pads, timing belt, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, fan blower motor and resistor. The starter is going out and I have a new one to replace this weekend.

It does suck that OEM drive shafts cost twice as much as the ones NAPA sells. I'm reading about too many issues with aftermarket driveshafts. They could be fine, or they could not be.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Some opinions on the CVs is what I was really after. I already have a bigger tire... they rubbed the mudflaps a little when I first got them. 2 inches matters to me when I'm driving down rough roads. So yeah, I think I'm gonna swap out the whole drive shaft assemblies.

My truck has been paid off for a while. I'm fine with spending the money to fix it right and get what I want out of it. I'm doing the work myself, so it gives me an excuse to buy an impact wrench. The parts, lift, and tools will come in way below what a shop would charge, plus I'll gain the experience and confidence to replace these parts again when they break. In the past year I have replaced the alternator, battery, front rotors and pads, timing belt, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, fan blower motor and resistor. The starter is going out and I have a new one to replace this weekend.

It does suck that OEM drive shafts cost twice as much as the ones NAPA sells. I'm reading about too many issues with aftermarket driveshafts. They could be fine, or they could not be.
Look into redone OEM. I replaced one years ago with aftermarket and it didnt work out wish i would have kept my old one and and had it redone and reinstalled, ended up getting a referb OEM and all was good, a lot less then a new OEM and a bit more then an aftermarket that didnt workout, good luck.........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look into redone OEM. I replaced one years ago with aftermarket and it didnt work out wish i would have kept my old one and and had it redone and reinstalled, ended up getting a referb OEM and all was good, a lot less then a new OEM and a bit more then an aftermarket that didnt workout, good luck.........
I can't find any remanufactured axle driveshaft assemblies online. I called the Honda parts guy in my town and he said they don't sell them remanufactured. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You can buy a new shaft for less than $100 at several major auto parts stores. I've changed thousands of axle shafts over the years and almost never used an OEM shaft unless the aftermarket weren't available. I've also almost never had issues with aftermarket manufacturers. Of course you run into a problem once in a while just as you do with OEM parts. I'm almost certain that Honda doesn't manufacture their own axle shafts. Why would a Honda Ridgeline shaft be more difficult to build than any other vehicle? Especially those vehicles designed to drive much faster than a Ridgeline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts