Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The charging system dash light came on today. My battery went dead on my way home from works with the same symptoms as when the alt bit the dust. Had both battery and alternator checked, both are good. Tried newer battery, indicator light still oan. Checked fuses, checked connections to starter, battery, alternator all are tight. Got a tip to try to wire directly between the alternator post and the positive on the battery to see if the warning light would go off, no dice.The light is still on and the battery won't charge. truck is dead in the driveway I have 3 charging system wire schematics in front of me and I'm looking for any information on what to do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the alternator was the problem. even after it tested good at oriley auto parts. It was only putting out 11.4 volts. Not the required 12.5 to charge the battery. I learned something today. Beware of alternator testing.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So the alternator was the problem. even after it tested good at oriley auto parts. It was only putting out 11.4 volts. Not the required 12.5 to charge the battery. I learned something today. Beware of alternator testing.
I could be wrong, but I think you want to see more than 12.5V from your alternator when charging (maybe something closer to 14V??). I'm no expert, but this is what I recall from past experience.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,598 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think you want to see more than 12.5V from your alternator when charging (maybe something closer to 14V??). I'm no expert, but this is what I recall from past experience.
Yes, 12.5 is not correct for full charging. Alternators vary but the Ridge's alternator will put out over 14volts when it is charging.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
All alternators should put out 13.5 to 14.8 on a 12 volt charging system. Anything less or more, then the regulator in the alternator is bad. Unfortunately these days you can't just change the regulator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts