Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started about a month ago. Every time I hook my trailer to the Ridgeline, the check light comes on. And if I start the truck and go right into reverse, the VTM-4 light comes on. What the heck is going on?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
It has got to be a short, in my opinion. Have you checked the trailer wiring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not. Didn't have a clue where to begin. I will check it out in the morning. Thank you for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
No I have not. Didn't have a clue where to begin. I will check it out in the morning. Thank you for the reply.
The first thing I would do is check to see if all of the trailer lights work. That should be pretty easy with a friend. If any don't work, and the bulbs are good, then it's likely in the wiring. If you have a 12 volt power supply you can then disconnect the trailer from the truck and test the lights using the power supply. That will confirm that it is either the trailer wiring, or not. It should not take you too long to figure it out.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
What CUinaRidge mentioned is the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, Ittybitty. Those hack jobs can cause electrical problems from time-to-time vs the isolated circuit the OEM harness gives you. If you have the OEM harness, then something more complicated may be going on. Have you tried to hook up to another trailer to see what happens? Maybe it's the trailer itself that is creating the short.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I thought all G2s came with a factory hitch. But when I was looking it was at upper trim models.
They all come with a hitch, but they all do not come with the trailer wiring. I will be interested to hear the results from the OPs testing.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I thought all G2s came with a factory hitch. But when I was looking it was at upper trim models.
Yes, all latter model Gen1s and all Gen2s come with an integrated class III hitch receiver but only the AWD versions have complete wiring harnesses. If you have a Gen2 FWD and you want to tow, you can purchase their OEM accessory trailer hitch harness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts