Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, any feedback is appreciated!
After driving 5 hours last night from Toronto - Ottawa, averaging 115 km/h and the temperature outside being -14 C, I had just got off the highway and the check engine light came on blinking.
I believe I had little power as well, so limped along and made it home (10 min drive). The manual states that a blinking light indicates cylinders misfiring and to let engine rest for 1/2 hour.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? Had this occurred passing a transport truck going 125 km/h, may not have gone so well?

thanks, Dave

· Administrator
24,358 Posts
I don't recall any instances of flashing check engine lights on the 2017-current Ridgelines. As you stated, a flashing check engine light indicates that one or more cylinders are currently misfiring. You should NOT continue driving with a flashing check engine light since this could lead to further damage such as melted catalytic converters.

· Registered
2018 RTL-E
634 Posts
A flashing check engine light should have set a code that the dealer can read. Hopefully he can figure out what went wrong.

· Registered
563 Posts
OK, it does say you can drive it under 50 km/h (straight to the dealer).
I did let it rest, turned it back on and no light.
I'm calling the dealer at 9 this morning!
Yikes! Do you have a OBD-II scanner? I'm not familiar with your area, down here most auto parts stores lend the scanner for free. I would pull the code & do some research before heading to the dealer.

Some things to consider are what quality of gas do you regularly use (ie, Honda recommends top-tier certified stations - something to do with amount of detergent additives). Were you towing, hauling or putting heavy load on the engine up to 30min prior to pulling off the highway? Honda recommends using higher octane has under those driving conditions to avoid engine knock. Lastly I remember reading somewhere that Honda recommends a different maintenance schedule for Canadian Ridgelines due to more frequent cold starts.

Best wishes & please keep us posted.

Reactions: smufguy

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll go to the dealer and probably have to $$$ for the scan!
On the note mentioned above, did put in some 'other gas' in on the highway from Canadian Tire (401 rest stop).
I always use Petro-Canada (apparently top tier in Canada).

Will update with Dealer info this week!

· Registered
180 Posts
Yes, but I'm sure they will charge me the code read if the result is non conclusive?!
As I see it you have a product which has developed a fault while still under official manufacturer warranty - I cant imagine how trying to find the fault (the first step nowadays is to plug it in) would be chargeable to you?

I assume the vehicle still has the symptoms you experienced / described? If not did you take any pictures or a video while it was going on?

· Administrator
24,358 Posts
As I see it you have a product which has developed a fault while still under official manufacturer warranty - I cant imagine how trying to find the fault (the first step nowadays is to plug it in) would be chargeable to you?
One of the latest trends being adopted by dealer service departments to extract the most money from every customer is charging a "diagnostic fee" of about $150. This fee is typically paid up front and usually (but, not always!) credited if the dealer was able to duplicate the problem and it is a covered repair. I've seen reports of dealers charging this fee as a separate item and requiring customers to pay for warranty work. There's not much the manufacturers can do about it since the dealers are independently owned and operated. This was one of the reasons I never took my RDX in to have any the multitude of issues addressed - I absolutely REFUSE to pre-pay for determination of warranty work.

· Registered
180 Posts
One of the latest trends being adopted by dealer service departments to extract the most money from every customer is charging a "diagnostic fee" of about $150. This fee is typically paid up front and usually (but, not always!) credited if the dealer was able to duplicate the problem and it is a covered repair. I've seen reports of dealers charging this fee as a separate item and requiring customers to pay for warranty work. There's not much the manufacturers can do about it since the dealers are independently owned and operated. This was one of the reasons I never took my RDX in to have any the multitude of issues addressed - I absolutely REFUSE to pre-pay for determination of warranty work.
Thats a poor business model, particularly where a large portion of revenue should be from service and repeat sales - clients who feel ripped off aren't likely to be repeat customers

I can only assume these policies are due to Honda being awkward about paying out for initial diagnostics as intermittent faults can be hard track down. Honda has a strong reputation for build quality and reliability so they should almost be more humble than other manufacturers when they fall short on such things.

One of the benefits of buying new is the peace of mind that a warranty brings, if this is diminished then suddenly buying new no longer seems as attractive, or, you could simply move to another brand that don't have diagnostic fees

To clarify I say that as someone who used to own service businesses and I know only too well how clients can / will waste your time so I know how frustrating that can be.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The codes were checked. They did not charge me.
The bank kicked out 20 codes, many communication errors.
So, they just cleared them and wait and see.
This RL had extensive hail damage and water that came in the cabin.
Have always worried that electronics were affected, maybe this is the first sign?

· Administrator
24,358 Posts
Have always worried that electronics were affected, maybe this is the first sign?
Did you realize this vehicle had hail damage and water ingress before you purchased it?

I bought a new Accord last year and found out it had been hail damaged and haphazardly repaired after I got home. Of course, the dealer never mentioned this. Suddenly, it made sense why the satellite radio didn't work, warning lights were illuminating, the door seal was poorly installed, and the holes on the underside of the hood were bent and gouged. Less than 24 hours later, I had a full refund. I assure you that'll never happen again! :)

· Registered
180 Posts
Kudos for the dealership. Thats a good first step (clearing the codes and see what returns) Out of curiosity did the service guys raise an eyebrow at any of the codes they pulled?

Most of those codes will be fluff, something that happened very briefly or went ever so slightly outside the set parameters but its still a good starting point.

Often multiple codes points to a issue with voltage. Modern vehicles are full of electronics that like nice stable voltage, If something goes sideways with that they do all kinds of weird things (I speak from experience - my VW and Porsche were both very susceptible to this)

IIRC some 2017s had faulty harnesses but I don't know enough about what the issues were or how it manifested itself if not dealt with. Something to keep in mind anyways.

· Registered
180 Posts
Did you realize this vehicle had hail damage and water ingress before you purchased it?

I bought a new Accord last year and found out it had been hail damaged and haphazardly repaired after I got home. Of course, the dealer never mentioned this. Suddenly, it made sense why the satellite radio didn't work, warning lights were illuminating, the door seal was poorly installed, and the holes on the underside of the hood were bent and gouged. Less than 24 hours later, I had a full refund. I assure you that'll never happen again! :)
Thats pretty poor for any dealership. I understand these things happen and the vehicles ultimately have to be sold but full disclosure is a must.

When we lived in the UK my wife used to work for a guy who loved BMWs. He was in the market for an M6 so he was pretty stoked when the dealership called him to say they'd just taken an almost new M6 on a trade and he was welcome to come take it for the weekend.

When he went to pick it was kind of awkward as someone has bought it almost as soon as it hit the forecourt and no one had called to tell him. He was disappointed but its one of those things.

He drives past the same dealership a couple of weeks later and an identical M6 is there so he calls his friend who works there. His buddy tells him its the same car he was supposed to test and it was returned because, by chance, the new owner had bumped into one of the guys in a local body shop who'd repaired it - something the dealer had neglected to tell him when sealing the deal.

Turns out it had taken a big impact in the rear and was borderline for being written off. When the new owner found out he went straight back to the BMW garage and confronted them, they initially denied it but he had some pictures of the damage the the guy from the body shop had sent him from their chance encounter so they then admitted it.

The dealer agreed to take the car back and refund his cash, I even heard he got a little extra on top as a gesture. I guess its the least they could do as they were staring at a lawsuit (its an offence for a dealership not to disclose such damage in the UK)

· Registered
563 Posts
thanks for the update. Are the codes listed in your invoice? If so would you mind snapping a pic of that portion? Have you had the ground points on your rl checked/cleaned & fluid filmed? Good grounds are important on these hi-tech vehicles. Given your it's history, it can be a simple/cheap preventative measures to keep the gremlins at bay.

· Registered
59 Posts
Hi, any feedback is appreciated!

After driving 5 hours last night from Toronto - Ottawa, averaging 115 km/h and the temperature outside being -14 C, I had just got off the highway and the check engine light came on blinking.

I believe I had little power as well, so limped along and made it home (10 min drive). The manual states that a blinking light indicates cylinders misfiring and to let engine rest for 1/2 hour.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? Had this occurred passing a transport truck going 125 km/h, may not have gone so well?

thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I’ve had the same thing happen to me two or three times. Similar driving situation as well - highway cruising for multiple hours then turn off onto a side road and get the flashing light. Pulled over and shut it off each time - started up a minute later and it drove like nothing had happened. As others have said, seems to be related to the cylinder deactivation - seems like it struggles to fire them back up after long stints at highway speeds. It’s always been the same turn for me that it happens as well. If the dealer does eventually find a fix let us know - I’ll be bringing it up with mine at my next service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
95 Posts
I do love this forum!
Thank you for that information, at least if (and when) it happens again I will know to pull over and let the car rest for 5 minutes!
To answer a few of the previous questions, yes I knew it was hail damaged as my family were in the vehicle when it sustained $30,000 in damage from an EF3 Tornado! A few choice words were said during the incident!
The dealer did not give me the codes but the invoice said "communication error with ECU"
Again, thanks for all the information :)

· Registered
372 Posts
I do love this forum!
Thank you for that information, at least if (and when) it happens again I will know to pull over and let the car rest for 5 minutes!
To answer a few of the previous questions, yes I knew it was hail damaged as my family were in the vehicle when it sustained $30,000 in damage from an EF3 Tornado! A few choice words were said during the incident!
The dealer did not give me the codes but the invoice said "communication error with ECU"
Again, thanks for all the information :)
Insurance covered $30k in damage repair without writing off/totaling the vehicle!?!?!?!?:surprise:

1 - 20 of 225 Posts