Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Just had this same thing happen on my 21. Off the highway, throttle off, sweeping bend, went to accelerate to merge with traffic and nada. Flashing cell, judder like a misfire, and little power. Pulled over and restarted, symptoms gone. Straight to dealer but no codes stored. 3/4 tank of gas. Did a search before seeing this so resurrected the limp mode post. Will keep my reader in the truck and try and capture codes before restarting next time

· Registered
266 Posts
Off ramp after lengthy highhighway driving and cold weather? Hmm. Would not have thought injectors, my thoughts were leaning to crap/ice in the fuel tank or something. Here's where a forum can shine, collation of symptoms and conditions to get to the root of the problem. Dealers will either ignore because no codes or replace parts ad hoc.

· Registered
266 Posts
I don't know that you can say it can't be the VCM. Coming off the highway before accelerating to merge, your foot may well be off the gas, are your saying VCM cannot be enabled in this case? You then suddenly demand power and cause VCM to disable while on a sweeping bend? VCM is still on the cards in my head.

· Registered
266 Posts
Yeh, but what if. ..... if VCM is enabled, On, and the cam actuator failed to engage when you floor it, would that not dump gas through the open exhaust valves and register a misfire ? I'm just guessing here. Anyway, S-VCM is here just waiting for it to warm up,a bit to install. I have tried to reproduce this problem every day since and can't.

· Registered
266 Posts
So, what do we have.
1. Flashing CEL that resets with an Off/On
2. No hard codes saved
3. Happens after 1 hr + highway speeds then slowdown/speed up, sometimes on a bend
4. Goes straight to limp mode

Originally thought it was a VCM issue, but now thinking a software bug, possibly related to the 9 speed. It has happened a lot, same symptoms, probably not mechanical but a software edge condition. Come on Honda

· Registered
266 Posts
Honda can be proactive or do nothing and hope a tech is on hand when it happens. It is a rare problem and maybe cold related. If all the good techs are in Alabama, we will be living with this for a long time. I have had 1 occurrence of this issue in 6 months, mostly cold driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts