Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
My brand new 2022 Touring (3000kms) just went into limp mode when exiting the highway after 2hrs at 120kmh. Flashing CEL with max speed 35kmh. I went straight to the dealer and didn’t shut it off so they could see it flash. The scan revealed multiple misfires but no reason, they are guessing bad gas, but really don’t know. This is my second Ridgeline and 15th vehicle in my life and have never had bad gas. So I’m a little skeptical and pissed, $50000 and I’m doing 35kmh on the shoulder of the TransCanada with hazard lights on. The dealer basically said if it happens again come back….. thanks Capt. Obvious.
What is my next move????
Here is my experience so far: This all started on Feb 24th:
2021 Ridgeline with 4000km suddenly loses power at highway speeds. Very scary situation happened to us today. We were on a high speed highway in Toronto doing about 100km/hr (60mph) when suddenly I felt a vibration with the truck losing nearly all of its power (wouldn't go over 50 km (30 mph). I moved over to the shoulder to get out of danger. Engine light was flashing. We kept going like that until an off-ramp and we called Honda Care to find the nearest Honda dealer while still limping along. I was afraid to shut it down and made it to a Honda dealer. Had to get a rental as we were 100 miles from home while dealer tries to sort it out. Initial call I received said they could not get any codes and that a tech tried the vehicle and it seemed fine. They are going to look into it more tomorrow. This is not very assuring for a brand new Honda! Has this happened to any one else and what was the cause? Thank you for any help you can give. I love my new Ridgeline but.........
UPDATE: Honda Canada Relations is now involved. I have a file number for my case. The rep I spoke with yesterday said that it was definitely a safety issue. I was told that a case manager would review the case and reach out to me asap to determine what is going to be done. Everyone involved so far has been concerned and I just hope that there will be a simple explanation for what happened. The techs so far have found nothing wrong. That's worrisome.

For anyone who gets this problem, don't take it lightly. It's your life and your passengers' that they are playing with! Contact Honda Canada Customer Relations and demand that a case file be opened and the problem be solved. For those of you in Canada the number is 1-888-946-6329 (Mon-Fri). I also sent an email to [email protected]. They need to hear from everyone who has this issue.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Just got home from picking up my Ridgeline in Toronto. Honda Canada Customer Relations Rep I talked to yesterday said that the tech at the dealership did bring up an engine misfire code, but there were no codes indicating any mechanical issues. Initially they said there were no codes, so maybe they had to go a little deeper? Apparently this misfire can be caused by any number of things including communication errors between sensors & computer ECU or something as simple as some poor gas with some water in the fuel. Now I can see how these things might cause an engine misfire, but I don't understand why that should cause the engine to go into Limp Mode. To me that just makes a bad situation worse and possibly dangerous. In any case it was an uneventful drive home. I took the 400 highway as I wanted to duplicate the drive conditions when we went down to Toronto. I was ready for it to cut out when I took the off-ramp and I slowed down, but nothing went wrong. So, this may be an isolated incident or a problem that will see a Service Bulletin on from Honda as time goes by and more people report this sudden loss of power. Fingers crossed that it does not happen again but at least I have a case file with Honda on the truck and the name of the CR Rep who said if it happens again to have the vehicle towed to nearest Honda dealer and that way they can get a code to see what happened. Sure hope it doesn't come to that. Time will tell.
Meanwhile I would encourage anyone who experiences this potentially dangerous sudden loss of power w/flashing CEL to go beyond the dealer and contact the Customer Relations branch of Honda. Ask them to start a case file so that it's on record. Honda needs to hear about this from everyone who has the problem.
On a positive note, I can say that I was treated very well by all Honda employees both at the dealership and at CR. Honda also covered the cost of the rental car that was needed for me to get home initially and then back to Toronto to pick up the truck. Best of luck to all and if any dealers come up with solutions, please post them here.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Everyone that is having this issue needs to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for USA owners and file a complaint to get the ball rolling on Honda and making them take action and hold Honda responsible for their unsafe vehicle especially since this is well documented now with the dealers and with Honda.

Recalls | NHTSA (then click on: "report a safety problem" on the top right)
Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Thanks for posting this info for US owners. Don't know what the Canadian equivalent is, but is someone knows, please post. In Canada, you can contact Honda Canada Customer Relations at [email protected] .

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Reporting a safety issue to NHTSA is far more effective than reporting directly to an automaker. Automakers don't have to listen to or respond to consumers, but they do have to respond to NHTSA.

Feel free to report an issue to Honda if you want, but DO NOT do this instead of reporting the issue to NHTSA.
An excellent point! I'll look on Transport Canada website to see if there is a department for filing complaints.

An excellent point! I'll look on Transport Canada website to see if there is a department for filing complaints.
For Canadian Ridgeline Owners, here is a link which will bring you to the Complaints Department:

For Canadian Ridgeline Owners, here is a link which will bring you to the Complaints Department:
The Transport Canada website should lead you to here if you want to send an on-line complaint:

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Sorry I have not updated the group since my original post, I’ve been working for a resolution and did not want to post during the process….
So after multiple emails to Honda Canada and Transport Canada, as well as meeting with the dealer, they agreed to buy back my truck if I want that.
Most importantly is Honda Tech has now identified (admitted) that there is a defect and they are working on a software update. The dealership was excellent and tested my vehicle for 3 days and 600 kms. They could not replicate but did collect useful data for Honda Canada. They are offering me a new Ridgeline however it will have the same software onboard and they have no idea when the new truck will be available (months).
I had to be like a dog on a bone with Honda Canada, they wanted to close the file after 24hours but I kept beating the safety drum. I will continue driving my current truck and hopefully the software will be coming soon.
Thanks for adding your current situation. You were smart not to have the situation swept under the rug. I too kept stressing the safety aspect with all concerned. Your point is well taken in that what good would it do to have them buy your truck back when you have to wait for a new Ridgeline and no doubt there would be a price hike. The solution is for Honda to resolve the issue. Good to hear that they are working on a software update as more and more it is pointing in this being the problem. This will take some time but I am confident that Honda will get there. They have a reputation to protect. Honda Canada Customer Relations Manager has told me that the file stays open and I have a direct phone # to call should the situation happen again. I too plan to drive the truck and hope for the best. Otherwise, I am so pleased with my Ridgeline and it truly is the perfect truck for my needs.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
I had an earlier post that my dealership replaced the injectors and I had not had a reoccurrence since. I thought that fixed it. We’ll…it happened again tonight. Blinking CEL after 17 hour drive from SC to MN. Getting off the freeway at the very end of my trip. Limp mode (fortunately no traffic at around 11:00pm) Temperature was about 20F.

I was able to capture the fault codes (same as an earlier post by another owner):
P0302
P0303
P0300
Cylinder misfires

I’ll report this to my dealer but no more swapping parts! Hopefully they get the software fix soon.

View attachment 423610
View attachment 423610
Sorry to hear that this is happening again to you. Do report it to your dealer and also to Honda directly. I am amazed at how many dealers don't know about this when you bring it to their attention. Those that have had customers with this issue certainly must be bringing it to Honda's attention. Hopefully a software update is in the works and a recall will take effect. Anyone who has this issue needs to contact their dealer's Service Manager as well as corporate Honda directly. Then file a safety complaint with the appropriate Gov't agency (see posts above).

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Sent me home with the same survey, just a slightly different ref number.
Thanks for keeping us informed of how the dealer and Honda is dealing with this issue. I agree that right now they are not sure what is causing it. The more Honda keeps hearing about it, the faster they may be to come up with a solution. I just hope that no one gets involved in an accident because of this sudden loss of power. Not so bad if you are on an off-ramp and can limp over somewhere. It's quite another thing when it happens on a busy multi-lane highway.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Unless a Honda tech owns a Ridgeline and drives long distances frequently with an OBD hooked up, it is unlikely that they will get this raw data. Best they can come up with after the fact is engine misfire codes. If this problem would occur each time under a particular commute to work route or similar, then this would be a lot easier to diagnose. Honda knows it is an issue and majority opinion points towards a software issue that we will hopefully see an update for before too long. Main thing I want to emphasize for people reading this is if it happens to you, don't let it slide. Complain to your dealer and launch a case with Honda itself.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Hello. I posted about this numerous times, and have seen many others with the same problem. Has anyone received a satisfactory remedy from the dealer? It appears to be a much more prevalent problem in cold weather. This summer I have had no issues, but I am nervous about the upcoming winter season. In spring, my dealer said there was a recall pending, but they never got one from Honda corporate.
Jerry, keep us posted on any further developments. My Ridgeline has not had a repeat of the problem (I suppose due to warmer weather as some report). If anyone gets any positive feedback from Honda with a fix, please let us know. There are some nervous RL owners out there who otherwise love their Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts