Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
I don't recall any instances of flashing check engine lights on the 2017-current Ridgelines. As you stated, a flashing check engine light indicates that one or more cylinders are currently misfiring. You should NOT continue driving with a flashing check engine light since this could lead to further damage such as melted catalytic converters.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
As I see it you have a product which has developed a fault while still under official manufacturer warranty - I cant imagine how trying to find the fault (the first step nowadays is to plug it in) would be chargeable to you?
One of the latest trends being adopted by dealer service departments to extract the most money from every customer is charging a "diagnostic fee" of about $150. This fee is typically paid up front and usually (but, not always!) credited if the dealer was able to duplicate the problem and it is a covered repair. I've seen reports of dealers charging this fee as a separate item and requiring customers to pay for warranty work. There's not much the manufacturers can do about it since the dealers are independently owned and operated. This was one of the reasons I never took my RDX in to have any the multitude of issues addressed - I absolutely REFUSE to pre-pay for determination of warranty work.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
The codes were checked. They did not charge me.
The bank kicked out 20 codes, many communication errors.
So, they just cleared them and wait and see.
This RL had extensive hail damage and water that came in the cabin.
Have always worried that electronics were affected, maybe this is the first sign?
Did you realize this vehicle had hail damage and water ingress before you purchased it?

I bought a new Accord last year and found out it had been hail damaged and haphazardly repaired after I got home. Of course, the dealer never mentioned this. Suddenly, it made sense why the satellite radio didn't work, warning lights were illuminating, the door seal was poorly installed, and the holes on the underside of the hood were bent and gouged. Less than 24 hours later, I had a full refund. I assure you that'll never happen again! :)

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
C342D doesn't appear to be a valid code - it's not listed in the service information. I suspect your scan tool is misinterpreting data.
Yeah, that's not a good sign for all of us with late 2019 and newer models that thought we wouldn't have to worry with injector issues.
The 2020 has different injectors than the later 2019 and repaired 2017 to early-2019 models.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
A flashing MIL means that one or more cylinders are actively misfiring. Damage or fire could occur if you continue driving while it is flashing. If the MIL stops flashing, the misfire is no longer being detected. A P300-P306 code tells you which cylinders have misfired.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
Reporting a safety issue to NHTSA is far more effective than reporting directly to an automaker. Automakers don't have to listen to or respond to consumers, but they do have to respond to NHTSA.

Feel free to report an issue to Honda if you want, but DO NOT do this instead of reporting the issue to NHTSA.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
This issue reminds me of the 2.0T in Accords and RDXs that would unexpectedly lose power until restarted after driving on the highway in humid or rainy conditions. That issue doesn't apply to the Ridgeline since it was related to moisture condensing in the intercooler, but I remember reading dozens of complaints for well over a year until Honda finally figured out what was happening and issued a TSB (but NOT a recall) for the problem and with no warranty extension.

· Administrator
24,885 Posts
Have you considered that Honda hasn't figured out the problem or devised a solution yet?

I remember a few years ago when Accords and RDX's would suddenly lose power when driven in the rain on the highway. Complaints were all over forums. Similar to the Ridgeline's issue, no codes were stored and the engine would operate normally after it was restarted.

It took Honda three and a half years to determine that the cause was water condensing in the intake system and address the issue with a new intercooler and software update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts