Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 White, BE
154 Posts
I see from the NHTSA complaint database that someone from Rochester MN filed a complaint. I am in Rochester and have been trying to work with Tom Kadlec Honda. Normally I have had great luck with them but I got a little pushback when I tried to tell them that Honda needs to be directly involved. It might help if there are two of us with the same issue at the same dealer!
That would be my truck. They wanted to replace rocker arms on it but I declined. Has not happened again. Yet….

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
33 Posts
That would be my truck. They wanted to replace rocker arms on it but I declined. Has not happened again. Yet….
Good to know, thanks! I have an appointment on Monday so hopefully they won’t pull the “never seen this before” BS. I am not going to let them do any more part switches until something definitive comes from Honda.

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline Black Edition
6 Posts
I see from the NHTSA complaint database that someone from Rochester MN filed a complaint. I am in Rochester and have been trying to work with Tom Kadlec Honda. Normally I have had great luck with them but I got a little pushback when I tried to tell them that Honda needs to be directly involved. It might help if there are two of us with the same issue at the same dealer!
Steve - Here it is 2 days after your post, and the same happened to me today (3/12/22) driving back to Rochester from Minneapolis. I am contacting Tom Kadlec Honda as well. I have a 2021 Ridgeline with only 8500 miles. Pulled off the highway onto a frontage road - flashing CEL came on and I limped to the nearest parking lot. Turned off the engine - waited a minute -restarted and it ran fine the rest of the way home.
Seems like this is a software related issue that needs immediate attention.
So glad to see you in my neck of the woods.
Rich

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
1 Posts
Me too. First time.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTLE
25,000 miles
1/4 tank
Temp ~20 F
Trip: Rochester MN ---> Mpls/StPaul ... North to West freeway transition light begins flashing but am able to sustain highway speeds safely.

That said, the engine is running rough and practically dies under hard acceleration

Call Hopkins Honda (Hands free!). They say pull over right away and have the truck towed to the dealership. That wasn't happening; I'm in the middle of heavy traffic.

When I can pull over, I pop the hood and it sure seems to me like it's not idling on all cylinders. Quite rough.

Stop engine and re-start. Runs perfectly and has ever since.

Haven't had a chance to check codes but from what everyone else says, I wouldn't expect to see anything.

Now for something new. I've been noticing a low frequency rumble felt in the steering wheel and audibly when the VCM kicks in at highway speeds. Even my wife riding passenger was able to feel it. This is something new as of the last several weeks and I'm wondering if it might be related.

In any case, the truck's scheduled to be checked in a week. This needs to be documented.

Thanks to all of you for the education!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Me too. First time.

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTLE
25,000 miles
1/4 tank
Temp ~20 F
Trip: Rochester MN ---> Mpls/StPaul ... North to West freeway transition light begins flashing but am able to sustain highway speeds safely.

That said, the engine is running rough and practically dies under hard acceleration

Call Hopkins Honda (Hands free!). They say pull over right away and have the truck towed to the dealership. That wasn't happening; I'm in the middle of heavy traffic.

When I can pull over, I pop the hood and it sure seems to me like it's not idling on all cylinders. Quite rough.

Stop engine and re-start. Runs perfectly and has ever since.

Haven't had a chance to check codes but from what everyone else says, I wouldn't expect to see anything.

Now for something new. I've been noticing a low frequency rumble felt in the steering wheel and audibly when the VCM kicks in at highway speeds. Even my wife riding passenger was able to feel it. This is something new as of the last several weeks and I'm wondering if it might be related.

In any case, the truck's scheduled to be checked in a week. This needs to be documented.

Thanks to all of you for the education!
I can hear a difference in my wife's 2016 Accord V-6 when the VCM kicks in, but only in cold weather. I have attributed it to the rubber motor mounts being stiff in cold weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, this is getting real interesting guys! Keep the rest of posted please as to whatever the dealer can come up with from Honda Tech. Glad these are getting reported to dealers and Honda as well. Good luck!
For mine, Tom Kadlec said Honda asked them to check valve clearances and report back to them. The service rep I dealt would not acknowledge that another, same year and trim, Ridgeline was in their shop for the same exact thing. Kind of not happy. Oh they are going to give me a survey to fill out

·
Registered
‘21 White, BE
154 Posts
For mine, Tom Kadlec said Honda asked them to check valve clearances and report back to them. The service rep I dealt would not acknowledge that another, same year and trim, Ridgeline was in their shop for the same exact thing. Kind of not happy. Oh they are going to give me a survey to fill out
They’re lying through their teeth. Feel free to pm me for details on my visit. They had my truck all day and Honda told them to replace rocker pins.

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline Black Edition
6 Posts
Did they get to your truck today? Interested in what they told you.
Just picked up my truck before the service dept closed. I heard the same as Steve. Checked valve clearances and adjusted. Admitted that none seemed too far out of tolerances to cause anything, but that Honda suggested the procedure as a first step. No codes had been logged so they didn't have anything to reference for repair.

The actually liked the tech I worked with - he acknowledged that there were two trucks with the same issue, said Honda was aware of the issue, but they didn't know what was causing it at this time. He was apologetic and seemed just as perplexed as I was.

I also received a survey to fill out and email back to Honda. Seems like they are grasping at straws right now, but they understand it is an issue.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
11 Posts
Sent me home with the same survey, just a slightly different ref number.
Thanks for keeping us informed of how the dealer and Honda is dealing with this issue. I agree that right now they are not sure what is causing it. The more Honda keeps hearing about it, the faster they may be to come up with a solution. I just hope that no one gets involved in an accident because of this sudden loss of power. Not so bad if you are on an off-ramp and can limp over somewhere. It's quite another thing when it happens on a busy multi-lane highway.

·
Administrator
24,266 Posts
This issue reminds me of the 2.0T in Accords and RDXs that would unexpectedly lose power until restarted after driving on the highway in humid or rainy conditions. That issue doesn't apply to the Ridgeline since it was related to moisture condensing in the intercooler, but I remember reading dozens of complaints for well over a year until Honda finally figured out what was happening and issued a TSB (but NOT a recall) for the problem and with no warranty extension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took my Ridgeline into my S. Carolina dealer (where I bought it) to let them know the injector replacement did not fix the CEL. I had also thought I may have smelled a slight gasoline odor inside the cabin. I had them check the fuel pressure and it is a-ok so not sure about that, probably nothing. Anyhow, I am concerned as the weather warms up that the problem will "go away" until next winter and we'll start this whole mess up again. Has anyone heard anything from Honda US or Canada? I made another request for the dealer here to find out any updates.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts