Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
141 - 160 of 241 Posts

· Registered
960 Posts
Similar problem on the Pilot too, but not as active.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, any feedback is appreciated!
After driving 5 hours last night from Toronto - Ottawa, averaging 115 km/h and the temperature outside being -14 C, I had just got off the highway and the check engine light came on blinking.
I believe I had little power as well, so limped along and made it home (10 min drive). The manual states that a blinking light indicates cylinders misfiring and to let engine rest for 1/2 hour.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? Had this occurred passing a transport truck going 125 km/h, may not have gone so well?

thanks, Dave
Same thing happened to me last week. Ridgeline Sport 2022, 5000 km. Driving on the highway close to Quebec city after 1,5 hrs at 115 km/hr check eng. flashing and lost power. Took next exit, stop the engine and restart. Everything went OK. Outside temp. was -10 celcius. Call my dealer and said probably gas line frozed ! It's scary !!

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
36 Posts
So I just completed my 2500mile trip with no incidences of the flashing CEL. This is after replacing the injectors. The previous two times I made this trip I had three incidences.

I am not quite ready to claim victory but best guess now is that the issue is with the injectors.

My advice: if you are having the problem, get the dealer to replace the injectors.

· Registered
36 Posts
How’d you get the dealer to pay for the injectiors?
They just offered. At the time, the way they made it sound was it was a hunch from the Service Manager and the Tech but when I called back and asked, the Service Advisor I spoke with said anything like that would have to come from Honda. So it seems like sometimes Honda recommended the rocker arm replacement (doesn’t fix it) and sometimes they’ll recommend injector replacement and sometimes they’ll throw up their hands.

Im pretty disappointed with Honda. I mean you have a pretty big problem that is also a safety issue. Your software is not storing the fault codes and so they are doing trial and error but not following up to see what is working. Or just letting their customers know what’s going on.

· Registered
1 Posts
Reporting a similar issue that happened yesterday. 2021 RTL with 7200 miles. I had been driving for about 1 1/2 hours (with a 10-minute stop after an hour). Outside temperature was approximately 5F and over half a tank of fuel.

At the end of about 15 miles of steady highway driving using ACC I came to a full stop at an intersection. Engine idle stop did not activate (I likely had it turned off). Waited briefly for traffic to pass. Turned left onto a highway then the engine had low power, was noticeably running rough, and flashing CEL. Found a place to pull over after about a mile. Shut off the engine for about a minute. Restarted to no CEL and everything running fine. No issues the rest of the trip.

If it happens again, I will try to capture more information.

· Registered
2021 RTLE Red, 2008 RTL Black
9 Posts
Guess what, here we go again. Took another trip yesterday (2/12/22). Drove 160 miles, 70-75mph, temp 10 degrees, gas tank 3/4 full. Didn't stop that entire time. Got off on an exit and continued to drive between 30-45 mph for about 4 miles without coming to a full stop. Finally I reached a stop sign. Cross traffic did not have to stop. After stopping (engine idle was on but don't think engaged) and no oncoming traffic, I turned left. Immediately as I pressed the gas pedal, truck started to sputter and engine light started flashing. Luckily no traffic coming up from behind and I had room to pull over and stop. However, since this is the SECOND time this has happened, I had my wife video the dashboard. Yep got it all on video and will be sending to Honda. This has to be FIXED. Can't imagine if that were my kids driving and traffic was barreling up on them. Imagine a semi coming up at 60mph and no power or place to move out of the way.
After stopping and turning off the truck, the issue went away. Coming home the same day, there were no issues.
2021 Honda RTLE, 3500 miles, 2nd time this has happened.

· Registered
36 Posts
Reporting a similar issue that happened yesterday. 2021 RTL with 7200 miles. I had been driving for about 1 1/2 hours (with a 10-minute stop after an hour). Outside temperature was approximately 5F and over half a tank of fuel.

At the end of about 15 miles of steady highway driving using ACC I came to a full stop at an intersection. Engine idle stop did not activate (I likely had it turned off). Waited briefly for traffic to pass. Turned left onto a highway then the engine had low power, was noticeably running rough, and flashing CEL. Found a place to pull over after about a mile. Shut off the engine for about a minute. Restarted to no CEL and everything running fine. No issues the rest of the trip.

If it happens again, I will try to capture more information.
Guess what, here we go again. Took another trip yesterday (2/12/22). Drove 160 miles, 70-75mph, temp 10 degrees, gas tank 3/4 full. Didn't stop that entire time. Got off on an exit and continued to drive between 30-45 mph for about 4 miles without coming to a full stop. Finally I reached a stop sign. Cross traffic did not have to stop. After stopping (engine idle was on but don't think engaged) and no oncoming traffic, I turned left. Immediately as I pressed the gas pedal, truck started to sputter and engine light started flashing. Luckily no traffic coming up from behind and I had room to pull over and stop. However, since this is the SECOND time this has happened, I had my wife video the dashboard. Yep got it all on video and will be sending to Honda. This has to be FIXED. Can't imagine if that were my kids driving and traffic was barreling up on them. Imagine a semi coming up at 60mph and no power or place to move out of the way.
After stopping and turning off the truck, the issue went away. Coming home the same day, there were no issues.
2021 Honda RTLE, 3500 miles, 2nd time this has happened.
All 2021-2022 RL owners should get a cheap OBD reader and keep it with you in the truck. So far we have one incident that was captured as a P0302 & P0303 (engine misfire).
Videoing the dashboard is a good idea too. I don’t think the dealer believed me until the second time when I took a clip of it.
Fortunately, I have not had any occurrences since they replaced the injectors.

· Registered
1 Posts
I thought there was a revised part number change for newer type injectors due to the issues affecting early Ridgeline models. (i.e the bad manufacturing processes on older injectors leaving debris behind)
I just find it hard to believe the fault is in the injectors if the same thing is happening to earlier models like mine (2018) and also newer 2021 RL's

Id expect an injector to have a linear failure mode. I very much DISLIKE intermittent faults....

I have an earlier post a few pages back describing my experience. It's only happened me once to date. I drove exactly the same highway route about again as previous and under the same outside temperature and conditions as when I had the issue. (-7 deg C or 19 deg F)
Approximately 500 Meters before I had to stop at a set of traffic lights. I pressed the button on the side of shifter. (ive a 6 speed transmission on my 2018 RL, and pressing the button limits the vehicle to 4th gear. The reason was to bring the revs up a bit for a few seconds before i had to brake as i had been cruising at 120kmh for a few hours.

I stopped at the lights for about two to three mins (dreading if it happened again, as its a busy junction) It didn't happen so i really don't know what to think tbh...

I have no VCM governor fitted although i was thinking of one. It appears its hard to get the VCM tuner ii these days due to the usual supply issues lots of companies are experiencing

Ive been driving Honda for many years. Motorcycles, Japan built cars, imports etc back home in Europe, and never experienced anything like this its frustrating, but hopefully we can get to the root cause ........

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, any feedback is appreciated!
After driving 5 hours last night from Toronto - Ottawa, averaging 115 km/h and the temperature outside being -14 C, I had just got off the highway and the check engine light came on blinking.
I believe I had little power as well, so limped along and made it home (10 min drive). The manual states that a blinking light indicates cylinders misfiring and to let engine rest for 1/2 hour.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? Had this occurred passing a transport truck going 125 km/h, may not have gone so well?

thanks, Dave
Hi Dave,
I had the same problem. Honda knows it is a problem and currently has no fix. Here’s a recap of my recent experience.
I brought my new 2022 Ridgeline (1905 miles) in for service because of a flashing yellow engine warning light which signifies a misfire error. This error happened after driving for 2 hours in cold weather (near 0 F) The Honda service manager explained that this issue has been happening with other 2021 and 2022 Ridgeline trucks and that there is currently no fix. I was asked to continue driving my vehicle and to turn the vehicle off and on if this happens again. Doing this will clear the error and the engine will run normally. He said that the engine will not be damaged if this happens again. He said that Honda is aware of the problem and is working on a fix - likely a computer software glitch is causing the issue. Since I live in Minnesota where we get a lot of cold weather, I would appreciate a fix as soon as possible.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2021 RTL-E. After driving on highway for an hour and a half at 80mph, I exited the highway and as soon as I pulled onto a secondary road the check engine light started flashing and the engine was hesitating with little to no power and poor shifting. I limped it to safe place to pull over (aprox 3 miles) and shut the truck off. I checked under the hood and didn't see anything and after approximately two minutes I restarted the truck and the light was gone and it drove fine after that. (It was 15°F with 10,250 miles at the time and not towing or hauling anything) I drove it the next day 4 hours on Highway without any issues. Has anybody else experienced this issue on the 2021's?

· Registered
3 Posts
After very little research I came upon this thread while researching this EXACT same occurrence in my 2021 BE with 19,000 miles. Drove 5 hours in one run, turned off quickly at a flowing Y intersection onto another County highway, & instantly had flashing check engine light with limp mode. Drove my remaining 4 miles back roads to destination, by feathering the gas, limped her up to almost 60mph, got there, backed in & out the way hoping I could start it again & possibly get to the dealer 10 miles away. Called dealer they said bring it in. Started it up 20 minutes later to take it in & it was absolutely fine, no engine light on or flashing, it ran normal. Dealership mechanic checked codes, it had some "communication code errors" nothing major, checked injectors & they all "passed". Mechanic never mentioned this was common, or that he'd heard if it. Said I should be fine & if it happens again, turn it off then start it up again & everything should re-set. Weird weird weird. Hope it doesn't leave me stranded some day soon, or happen to do this on the 294 Chicago by- pass at 80mph+!! oops, my winter wheels are on, they're getting TPMS next week, hence the TPMS codes, and it was under 20 degrees most of my trip, maybe 25 when this happened.
Recipe Font Automotive tire Handwriting Fender

Hello all, I have a 2021 RTL-E. After driving on highway for an hour and a half at 80mph, I exited the highway and as soon as I pulled onto a secondary road the check engine light started flashing and the engine was hesitating with little to no power and poor shifting. I limped it to safe place to pull over (aprox 3 miles) and shut the truck off. I checked under the hood and didn't see anything and after approximately two minutes I restarted the truck and the light was gone and it drove fine after that. (It was 15°F with 10,250 miles at the time and not towing or hauling anything) I drove it the next day 4 hours on Highway without any issues. Has anybody else experienced this issue on the 2021's?

141 - 160 of 241 Posts