Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ridgeline with about 180,000 miles the check engine light came on for the first time.I had a full service tune up put on it spark plugs,air filter etc what could be the initial problem,never had the valves adjusted could that be a cause?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I do have my ODB but my wife is driving it from California to Illinois and it came on with her outside of Illinois,I told her to go by an Auto Zone and have it checked,I am hoping that she did not put the gas cap on right.After a few gas fillups they were probably going thru the motions.If she gives me a code I will post it,I also have a code reader Handbook.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ditto with henni.

With all the work you had done, they undoubtedly unhooked the battery which resets the computer among other things. Unless the truck is running badly or overheating or similar obvious problem, I would not get immediately worried. With all your recent changes it could be several possible things.

Get the codes read at the local parts store and report them back here. My bet is an emissions system code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She said it is not runnig bad so I am hoping that it is something simple.I will post the codes as soon as I get them.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Keep your fingers crossed. I could be something as simple as her not closing the gas cap tight enough. It should be turned at least 5 clicks. If she didn't tighten it properly, it could take four or five engine cycles before the check engine light goes out. If she can, have her take a picture of the dash with her cell phone so you can see what she's seeing. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, she sent me a picture of the light in question it was the little engine light below the battery light if it was the one on the right side of the dash I would have more concern.I am sure she was not turning the gas cap tight enough,the engine light on the right side of the dash came on once and it was a wire loose on the spark plug, it was running really rough.My fingers are crossed that it is something minor,other than that issue the Ridgeline has been trouble free except for a few very minor things (Navi system replaced after 3 months and the right front axle after engaging it at a high speed).I have had it for about 8 years and 4 cross country trips later this is my first out of town issue.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,123 Posts
That would be the MIL:

I'm curious (on a side note) about your RF axle issue. Engaged at high speed? Please explain... when you have a moment away from the primary issue of the engine light.

With the MIL light on, it has to have thrown some codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be the MIL:

I'm curious (on a side note) about your RF axle issue. Engaged at high speed? Please explain... when you have a moment away from the primary issue of the engine light.

With the MIL light on, it has to have thrown some codes.
Thanks for the dash over view all of the engine lights and warnings are back to normal thank each and everyone for your inputs,I think it was the gas cap that caused the issue.On the F/R axle after owning the Ridgeline for about a year their was a grinding sound coming from the front axle took it to Honda and the axle or front gear that goes in the gear box was bad so I did a self diagnosis and concluded that one of the other drivers must have engaged something while driving or it was faulty from the factory.No one has stepped forward and taken responsibility.I was just taking a stab in tha dark that it was a human error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts