Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now get a "Check Fuel Cap" message when I start the RL. It takes the place of the mileage display. Reading the manual, it says --- check the fuel cap..... ensure 3 clicks....drive for 3 days and see if it goes off. It can be reset, but comes back when started again. Any body else have this problem?? or know what could be the problem?? Another dealer visit in my future?? I have checked the Fuel cap and know it is solidly closed. I have only driven for 2 days (40 miles) after validating closed fuel cap. Does magic happen the third day??

·
Registered
297 Posts
rdhplano said:
I now get a "Check Fuel Cap" message when I start the RL. It takes the place of the mileage display. Reading the manual, it says --- check the fuel cap..... ensure 3 clicks....drive for 3 days and see if it goes off. It can be reset, but comes back when started again. Any body else have this problem?? or know what could be the problem?? Another dealer visit in my future?? I have checked the Fuel cap and know it is solidly closed. I have only driven for 2 days (40 miles) after validating closed fuel cap. Does magic happen the third day??
When I went down to Mississippi last year (drove my Suzuki SUV), I left the gas cap at a service station. Needless to say, the same message came on, but not before I'd gone over 200 miles. Got a cap at Walmart and the idiot light still did not go off. Finally, when I returned home, I picked a new cap up at the dealer. After driving for a couple of days, it did go off. Hopefully, yours will work the same way. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this deal with a Hyundai, only it was the check engine light. Turns out, there is a sensor in the gas tank that checks for proper pressure inside the tank once every 200 miles or so. If it detects low pressure, it assumes you left the cap at a astation and the car will explode when you smoke and step out of the car, so on comes the light.

Something in that cap is causing pressure to leak out of the tank, or, in my case, you have a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick feedback. I will wait til Friday and see if the pressure is the problem. I really do not think the cap was ever loose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
rdhplano,

Did your trip involve a major altitude change? That will set the thing off in a lot of vehicles, my blazer, and civic both suffer fro this, and we know people with volvo's, jeeps, vws, fords, all the same problem. The pressure change with a 5000' drop over 150 miles, with a 20 - 40 degree temerature increase just confuses the car.

rdhplano said:
Thanks for the quick feedback. I will wait til Friday and see if the pressure is the problem. I really do not think the cap was ever loose.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
rdhplano,

Did your trip involve a major altitude change? That will set the thing off in a lot of vehicles, my blazer, and civic both suffer fro this, and we know people with volvo's, jeeps, vws, fords, all the same problem. The pressure change with a 5000' drop over 150 miles, with a 20 - 40 degree temerature increase just confuses the car.
Never had any problem with my VW? My friend did have on with Audi A4 and to remedy the problem was to replace the fuel cap. He had a faulty fuel cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
delphi7x10 said:
rdhplano,

Thanks for the idea. No altitude change. It is flat here in North Texas. Spring weather has been hot/cold so 40 degree temp changes are happening especially with spring weather fronts. It is still happening this am so will take to dealer tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what they find. Hope it is as easy as broken gas cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow-up incase any one else has the same problem. Took the RL into dealer today. They did not believe the truck provided this error message (check fuel cap) Anyway after I got my lecture on how to close the gas cap, which I still do not think is the problem, they "reset the computer". This is not the reset on the dash but evendently the on board computer. Driving out of the dealership, the error msg is off. Time will tell. In the near future, I will remove the gas cap and see if it comes back on (I want to make sure it was not totally disabled) :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow-up and documentation if anyone else has the problem. The check fuel message is back again. It has been back on for 2 weeks. Checked the fuel cap again and have been very careful when filling up. Will have to take back to dealer again when oil needs changing. PM me if anyone else has the same issue. :mad:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks Teck.
I got this message after the first time I filled up.
I didn't over fill it and I tightened to click 3 times.
Been on ever since, 2 tanks later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I last reported, my "check fuel cap" msg was on again. I checked the fuel cap and still on. I waited till the next take of gas and filled up (not topped off) and made sure the cap was on. (pushed down -- 10+ clicks) 4 days later the "check fuel cap" msg stopped. 2 days later the little yellow engine icon is solidly on. When you read the manual on it, it says check fuel cap. :mad: :) :mad: Anyway, I can not get the icon to turn off and taking to the dealer tomorrow. Will keep documenting the saga!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the RL to the dealer again last Friday. As previously reported, over the last 45 days, I have had the "check fuel Cap " msg come on, took to dealer, msg came back on, then the "check engine" icon came on. The dealer did take the problem serious this time. The work order states "small leak in evap system between PCS and fuel tank...called techline....ran tests and finally used smoke machine to find crack in canister at line nipple. replaced and ran function test it passed"

All the msg lights are off. So it looks like it is fixed. Time will tell.

So I have been contacted by 4 people that have the "check fuel cap" msg. Here is what I would do. The 1st item is to determine if it really is the cap. Once you notice the "check fuel cap" msg, fill the tank, make sure the cap is secure, reset the msg by pressing "reset" on the dash and wait 3+ days or 50 miles. If the light stays on, take to the dealer and get them to take you seriously that you know how to put the cap on.

Rdhplano

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi everyone I had the message come on check fuel cap I always pump my own gas I called the dealership and they said to watch it and it should reset. I checked the cap and made sure that it went 3 clicks and sure enough it reset

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just started getting the dreaded "Check Fuel Cap" message and I never "top off" and always "three click". This is day one. I hope it goes off in three days like the manual says it will. :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine too! The message just came on this morning but the last time I gased up was almost a week and a half ago. Always 3 clicks and never top-off. Anyway, took the cap off, 3 clicks again and wait/monitor 3 days. (Should happened though, I didn't fill-up and still 3/4 tank left).

·
Registered
858 Posts
Finally, today, the "Check Fuel Cap" message stopped dinging me. :) That is five days since it started it's nagging.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been having fun with this message for about 2 week, playing the game to see if the message clears it's self like the book mentioned. I find it intresting about the service Tech solution and will be contacting my garage for a little inspection.

Thanks SB Ridge...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Finally after 6 days of " CHECK FUEL CAP"... " CHECK FUEL CAP" ..... it STOPs... ha :D :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
CBRidgeJockey said:
Finally after 6 days of " CHECK FUEL CAP"... " CHECK FUEL CAP" ..... it STOPs... ha :D :D
Mine took 3 weeks, 2 tanks of gas and a semi-long trip before it resolved its' self. Now lets see how long I go before it comes back...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts