Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this problem or know how to get warning to go off. I have "checked" the fuel cap many times, it is fine but warning keeps coming back.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I do not have the problem you described but I did a test myself. The book says the light will come on if you do not turn the cap a full three clicks. I did not do this on purpose and sure enough, the light came on. Be sure you hear three clicks before closing the gas access door.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I just looked at the prior thread. A little more worried now because there are no posts as to if it was actually fixed. The two people who had the issue said it did not seem to be a fuel cap issue. In my case I am hoping it is the number of clicks. Cap says "Tighten to Click" so I interpreted as one click. My Toyota minivan say specifically tighten three clicks so I was just following directions. We'll see. Hasn't gone off yet but manual says may take three days. It truly is annoying.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For emissions compliance, one item the computer checks is the pressure/vacumn in the tank when you are driving. The idea is to verify that the gas vapors aren't escaping out.

If the cap is on tight (vapor tight), you may have a bad sensor, a leak in the system or a bad gas cap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK< MINE has gone off and it happened on a hot day when the tank was low on fuel. I stopped the truck, shut it off, removed and retightened the cap. The warning was still on, but AFTER I shut the vehicle off later on and restarted it, the fault went away. My Honda parts dealer says all Hondas have sensitive vacuum sensors...Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Octavivs said:
Thanks. I just looked at the prior thread. A little more worried now because there are no posts as to if it was actually fixed. The two people who had the issue said it did not seem to be a fuel cap issue. In my case I am hoping it is the number of clicks. Cap says "Tighten to Click" so I interpreted as one click. My Toyota minivan say specifically tighten three clicks so I was just following directions. We'll see. Hasn't gone off yet but manual says may take three days. It truly is annoying.

Octavivs --- I have had the problem for a month. The 1st time, I re-tightened the gas cap and waited a week. Took it into the dealer and they "reset the on board computer". Two weeks later, the warning came back. I am convinced that it is not my tightening of the gas cap. I have been watching that and doing 3++ more clicks. The warning msg has now been on again for 2+ weeks and I am using my second tankful of gas. I have not had time to take it in again. It is real irritating as you know. The other ROC member that has the problem has not been able to get to the dealer yet. But clearly it has been greater than 3 days for them. I am not encouraged that my dealer knows what to do as we had to prove to the service advisor that the Ridgeline gave this warning. So I think they just reset the "on board" and have not looked into what is really causing the problem. :mad: So if you take it in please do comment on what was done. Thanks

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the info Bellteck. I'll be sure to tighten the gas cap to at least 3 clicks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments. Still flashing check cap. I think it is now more than three days, because I did tighten it multiple clicks the first time it happend, just didn't count until yesterday, so it is official only 24 hours. Will keep you posted. I had the leak problem and my dealer was great so if I do take it in I think they will be again at least I hope.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my check fuel cap light stayed on until today. Took it in to dealer and an hour and 40 minutes later I was told I was not tightening the cap tightly enough. Also informed that if I keep doing that beyond 40,000 miles I will be responsible for a $50 charge each event. Have to say this made me very angry. I just bought a vehicle and have done everything the manual said and they point the finger at me. I was very impressed with this service department when they fixed the leak, very disturbed by them now.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Anyone get a solution from Honda for this yet? Is there anyway to clear the message myself? If I push "select," the display will go to mileage, but Check Fuel Cap comes back upon restart as well as remaining in the cycle (when pressing select it will show the message again as it cycles through).

·
Registered
484 Posts
My manual says to hold in the Reset button (It will also reset Trip A or B).

I'll have to check the part number at lunch to see if its the new one...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'll try to remember to double-check it tonight. I flipped through the whole thing and last night and having seen this topic, I read that section. Having flipped through the entire thing though, I can't remember it all... lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
It is the new manual (602), it says to hold the reset button until the message goes away. Also says to check the cap first, duh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are 2 threads on this issue --- check fuel cap message and fuel cap warning. Here is what I posted yesterday on the other thread. FYI ---

Took the RL to the dealer again last Friday. As previously reported, over the last 45 days, I have had the "check fuel Cap " msg come on, took to dealer, msg came back on, then the "check engine" icon came on. The dealer did take the problem serious this time. The work order states "small leak in evap system between PCS and fuel tank...called techline....ran tests and finally used smoke machine to find crack in canister at line nipple. replaced and ran function test it passed"

All the msg lights are off. So it looks like it is fixed. Time will tell.

So I have been contacted by 4 people that have the "check fuel cap" msg. Here is what I would do. The 1st item is to determine if it really is the cap. Once you notice the "check fuel cap" msg, fill the tank, make sure the cap is secure, reset the msg by pressing "reset" on the dash and wait 3+ days or 50 miles. If the light stays on, take to the dealer and get them to take you seriously that you know how to put the cap on.

Rdhplano

·
Registered
188 Posts
rdhplano said:
There are 2 threads on this issue --- check fuel cap message and fuel cap warning. Here is what I posted yesterday on the other thread. FYI ---

Took the RL to the dealer again last Friday. As previously reported, over the last 45 days, I have had the "check fuel Cap " msg come on, took to dealer, msg came back on, then the "check engine" icon came on. The dealer did take the problem serious this time. The work order states "small leak in evap system between PCS and fuel tank...called techline....ran tests and finally used smoke machine to find crack in canister at line nipple. replaced and ran function test it passed"

All the msg lights are off. So it looks like it is fixed. Time will tell.

So I have been contacted by 4 people that have the "check fuel cap" msg. Here is what I would do. The 1st item is to determine if it really is the cap. Once you notice the "check fuel cap" msg, fill the tank, make sure the cap is secure, reset the msg by pressing "reset" on the dash and wait 3+ days or 50 miles. If the light stays on, take to the dealer and get them to take you seriously that you know how to put the cap on.

Rdhplano
Finally got mine fixed too.
Exactly the same deal as you rdhplano.
Reset my warning for 2 and a half months and the check engine light
finally came on sunday.
Called my dealer service guy on monday and he squeezed me in.
I told them your story and they found it had a leak and bad sensor.
I got it back tuesday with no warning lights on my dash, an oil change and
the tow package installed. (I paid for those. :rolleyes: )
It's like a brand new truck!
Me happy. :D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts