Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My XM subscription was not activated at dealer, that was the only item I forgot but I also missed the two small plastic front bumper license plate holder inserts as dealer had installed their "logo" plate into the front and when I removed it, the small inserts were not in glove box.

Initially they also delivered it without gas but I did catch that just as I was about to drive away.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are looking to spend no more than 12.5k on our next truck...(ins claim) We really want a Ridgeline.
In our price range we are looking at 2006-7 RTS (few RTL'S)
Most are 130k and above, and some are in the 160 plus range.
Realistically, could you guys see buying a used Ridgeline with 135k plus for 11 -13 grand?
Not worried about high mileage or upcoming maintenance?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Realistically, could you guys see buying a used Ridgeline with 135k plus for 11 -13 grand?
Much more important would be records of past maintenance.

Get a mechanic of your choice (but Honda-trained) to do a pre-purchase mechanical inspection, at your cost. It's important to have the Honda training because some systems like the transmission or drive system are very different from all other makes.

The mechanic can give you a best-effort assessment about the vehicle's current state and point out indicators as to how it's been used and treated. The written maintenance records indicate whether the owner did preventive maintenance. As with all vehicle brands, failure to replace fluids on schedule is a strong indicator of other kinds of neglect or abuse by the former owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to sell Honda's from 04-06 so I was there when the Ridgeline fist hit showrooms. I very familiar with the Truck just not with real world owning and maintaining. I also own an 04 Honda Civic EX 107k on the ticker. Do mostly brakes and stuff myself, going with a friend of mine we are going to do the timing, plus, seals, etc. As much as we can with the engine taken somewhat apart.
This Ridgeline will be for my Fiance' and she loves the truck.
I am just nervous, because we really can't spend anymore than 12-12.5 and it keeps me in a higher mileage bracket. I don't mind doing basic DIY maintenance, jsut don't want to get caught with I$$ues.
Very few if any say they are listed with records and if they do they tend to be more than we can spend.
All the tips are being taken in....Thank you guys.
We are getting our Ridgeline with in a few weeks. Can't wait.

Keep the tips coming.....

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Much more important would be records of past maintenance.

Get a mechanic of your choice (but Honda-trained) to do a pre-purchase mechanical inspection, at your cost. It's important to have the Honda training because some systems like the transmission or drive system are very different from all other makes.

The mechanic can give you a best-effort assessment about the vehicle's current state and point out indicators as to how it's been used and treated. The written maintenance records indicate whether the owner did preventive maintenance. As with all vehicle brands, failure to replace fluids on schedule is a strong indicator of other kinds of neglect or abuse by the former owner.
I really don't have anything to add to Ian's post here, but I would just like to echo the importance of maintenance records, Carfax history, and trusted/Honda trained mechanic to do an inspection before purchase.

First of all, I would never purchase a used vehicle, no matter what the mileage is, without a comprehensive maintenance history. As Ian said, with a maintenance history, you know how the vehicle was taken care of. This is especially important with a high-mileage vehicle.

Second, having a trusted mechanic, who is well versed in the vehicle, do an inspection is very important also.

Third, while not quite as important as the other two, a clean Carfax history would be a requirement as well. Then you know if the vehicle has been in any accidents, had any major repairs, and that kind of thing.

If any of these three things does not get a passing grade, I would pass on it and look for another vehicle.

My .02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are looking to spend no more than 12.5k on our next truck...(ins claim) We really want a Ridgeline.
In our price range we are looking at 2006-7 RTS (few RTL'S)
Most are 130k and above, and some are in the 160 plus range.
New here, just picked up my RL two days ago.

Just Paid 14.7 @ Dealer for a one owner 07 RTL w/ 118k and clean carfax. You can easily get one in that price range if you are willing to wait on the right deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need help, I'm an old element guy looking at buying a used Ridgeline. It is at my used Honda dealer. He is a good guy always good on my element service work. He has a 2006 RTL 220,000 mi. on it he got it from a Honda Dealer. It is a one owner and has every service receipt with it the owner had every thing done to it when the manual said to do it. Changed timing belt water pump every 100,000 and every thing else. It rides quiet and tight, new tires, no dents or scratches any where. I check every thing on it works, no leaks,or noises. After reading the posts on the head problems, I'm a little concerned. Any advise? Oh he is asking 8900.00 for it.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
It seems the head problems where all on low mileage 06's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks. Rubber floor mats aren't included, or so I was told.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My Ridge had over 129, 000 miles on it when I bought it.

However it had an extensive maintenance history, all of it was done at the dealer where I purchased it

Of course there were minor issues, noticed exterior chrome was pitted after I brought it home, driver dome light wasn't working, and I had to replace the tires.

However, thanks to this website plastidip fixed the exterior chrome issues, and I fixed the driver dome light.

The only thing that really cost anything was the tires.

Other than those minors, no other mechanical issues to speak of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
My Ridgeline had over 4 miles on it when I bought it today. Everything checked out okay. They installed the black roof rack and ordered the black side steps for me. The black and alum. finish 6 spoke SE wheels really look good with the silver truck. I have 100 miles on it now and it's the only one in town. I get to play with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My Ridgeline had over 4 miles on it when I bought it today. Everything checked out okay. They installed the black roof rack and ordered the black side steps for me. The black and alum. finish 6 spoke SE wheels really look good with the silver truck. I have 100 miles on it now and it's the only one in town. I get to play with it tomorrow.
Sweet... Can't wait to see your pics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
Uh, I don't know how to post pictures, DUH! This thing sure looks good, all of the black accents with the silver truck, especially the SE grille. There is only one thing I was disappointed with: Honda lists folding power mirrors, but the folding feature ain't power, something I could really use.
I want to get a bull bar, mainly to use to tie down the front of my 16' canoe. Who makes the best bar that is easy to install?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,267 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would say an important thing to consider is the fact that these have interference type engines. Regardless of how reliable they are with proper maintenance the possibility of a very expensive rebuild exists if the cam belt breaks. As I'm learning now.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I would say an important thing to consider is the fact that these have interference type engines. Regardless of how reliable they are with proper maintenance the possibility of a very expensive rebuild exists if the cam belt breaks. As I'm learning now.
That is such an incredibly low percentage probability, it's not even worth considering in my opinion, presuming you change it at required intervals. Now if you want to consider the COST of that normal R&R service (vs. a timing chain engine), then at least that "cost event" is a real likelihood to encounter, presuming you keep your vehicles that long (105K miles for this engine under 'normal service' environment). On the other hand, from what I've experienced, premature TB failure (& those associated 'interference engine' damage/repair issues), seems no more likely than other "probably won't happen" type failures, like tranny or differential failure, cracked head, broken piston, etc. Just MHO.

In other words.... "doesn't warrant being on the list", unless it's just personal preference, like "no CVT" or "no FWD".
Anyway, this post's checklist is to check out your "looking to buy" Ridgeline .... so if you don't want features that are an inherent part of RL design, you won't be buying one anyway! I'm just sayin'..........

81 - 100 of 108 Posts