214 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
214 Posts

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
If you exclude Honda's goodwill, I didn't get nearly as good of a deal on my '21 as I normally do during...well...more normal times. I also had to consider that there are fewer than ten RTL-E's per state on average and what appears to be a single-digit number of pewter RTL-E's in stock - none of those are within hundreds of miles of me. On the flip side, I came out better than expected on the trade.

My local Honda dealer's lot - both new and used - looks downright sad. They're always the highest-priced dealer in the area, but they're trying even harder to maximize profit on each sale since they have so little inventory. Their offer for a new Ridgeline and my trade was downright insulting and the salesman was very combative and defensive when he was texting lies like "you won't find a Ridgeline below MSRP" and "nobody is going to give you more than $X for your trade" and "all Ridgelines come with 'pro-pack'", etc. Well... Guess what, buddy? ;)

He was all excited the other day when he finally got a white RTL-E in that I had previously inquired about. He just knew I'd be down to get it. I told him I already found a better deal, apologized for not being able to do business with him this time, and offered to give him another shot next year. Rather than respond with a professional, "Glad it worked out - thanks for giving us a chance and I hope you will again", he just ignored me.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
If you exclude Honda's goodwill, I didn't get nearly as good of a deal on my '21 as I normally do during...well...more normal times. I also had to consider that there are fewer than ten RTL-E's per state on average and what appears to be a single-digit number of pewter RTL-E's in stock - none of those are within hundreds of miles of me. On the flip side, I came out better than expected on the trade.

My local Honda dealer's lot - both new and used - looks downright sad. They're always the highest-priced dealer in the area, but they're trying even harder to maximize profit on each sale since they have so little inventory. Their offer for a new Ridgeline and my trade was downright insulting and the salesman was very combative and defensive when he was texting lies like "you won't find a Ridgeline below MSRP" and "nobody is going to give you more than $X for your trade" and "all Ridgelines come with 'pro-pack'", etc. Well... Guess what, buddy? ;)

He was all excited the other day when he finally got a white RTL-E in that I had previously inquired about. He just knew I'd be down to get it. I told him I already found a better deal, apologized for not being able to do business with him this time, and offered to give him another shot next year. Rather than respond with a professional, "Glad it worked out - thanks for giving us a chance and I hope you will again", he just ignored me.
I would probably not give that type of dealer a second chance in a few years (when you trade again), unless they retool their public relation skills. There is no excuse for being rude.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
214 Posts
That’s too bad he didn’t respond Roger. I had contacted over 20 dealers looking for my Lunar Silver RTL-E and in the weeks since I made my purchase several have called to say they either had one or had one on the way. All were polite when I informed them I’d already made a purchase. I guess you found a bad apple.

From my point of view, I don’t begrudge a dealer taking advantage of a tight market to maximize price for a vehicle anymore than i’d begrudge a buyer for putting the screws to a dealer on a slow moving vehicle that is a hard sell. Both are examples of a properly functioning “market”. I think markets like this are efficient and generally self correct over time.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
Read today that some of the reason for the chip shortage is the mining of Bitcoin. Now that will probably be a mystery to most of us. It takes a ton of computer power and those chips are in high demand are are being above list price.

Sounds like the new 2021 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I inquired online for a test drive appointment and was put with used car sales, the salesman was not there at scheduled time, the vehicle hadn't had PDI done and to top it off, he didn't know much about Ridgelines. Further along in the process something happened where they didn't lock in the VIN properly and it sold to another customer, pulled back my deposit and moved on, not one interaction as to why I was leaving.

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
I was fortunate enough to score a couple of bags of Ruffles All Dressed potato chips last week, but the computer chip shortage is still wreaking havoc on the automotive industry.

Ford is shutting down production for a couple more weeks...again...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wonder if that is why my 2019 rtle value is seemingly going up. It’s worth 34kish now. Tempting to sell it if carvana or someone similar offers me 35k for it and use that for newer vehicle. Tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be any vehicles produced during the shortage - it simply means fewer vehicles will be produced.

It is my understanding that automobile factories can't "slow down" the rate of production - they either run at a fairly fixed speed or not at all which is why you see intermittent shutdowns or a reduction of production hours to adjust output instead of the running the line is "slow motion". This reduction of output could be due to decreased demand and/or parts shortages. Currently, it's due to the latter.

Putting this into perspective, AlixPartners estimated that somewhere around 1,500,000 to 5,000,000 fewer automobiles will be manufactured globally this year due to the chip shortage. From 2014-2019, over 90,000,000 automobiles were manufactured each year.

Instead of 90 million automobiles made in 2021, there may be only 85 million made. If you scale that to the Honda Ridgeline which sells about 3,333 units each months, Honda might only be able to make 3,133 per month on average. On the other hand, Honda may choose to allocate available parts to more profitable or popular models so that the decrease isn't as obvious to the consumer. Since the Ridgeline is one of Honda's lowest-volume models, it won't be missed as much as a CR-V or Pilot.

The reason such a relatively small decrease (est. 2-6%) in production results in new car lots looking like they've gone out of business is because production is so closely matched to demand. It doesn't take much of a supply shortage to result in empty lots of cars.

Even during the chip shortage, you can still get the automobile you want - you just might have to wait longer for it and put forth more effort searching for a match.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ouch - For our QA/QC folks one has to be concerned regarding the forced increased production rate to meet supply and demand while sacrificing failure rate?
It seems that we're all tied in the electronic era whether we ike it or not.

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
ouch - For our QA/QC folks one has to be concerned regarding the forced increased production rate to meet supply and demand while sacrificing failure rate?
It seems that we're all tied in the electronic era whether we ike it or not.
Quality shouldn't be affected. For example, a new Accord rolls off the assembly line every 54 seconds in Marysville, Ohio. If Honda needs to increase production due to increased demand, they run overtime if the increase is temporary or increase the size of the factory or build a new factory if the demand is permanent. If they need to decrease production due to decrease demand or supply constraints, they simply reduce hours or intermittently halt production.

This applies to most automated factories. The comedy sketches we see on TV showing the speed of production lines increased to the point that humans or machines can no longer keep up and chaos ensues doesn't really exist.

An inspector at Honda Marysville inspects a new Accord every 54 seconds like clockwork. If demand falls or supplies are limited, they may only inspect a new Accord every 54 seconds for 32 hours per week instead of 40 hour per week and spend 8 hours helping rearrange offices or dusting the welding robots. If demand increases, they may inspect a new Accord every 54 seconds for 48 hours per week for a while. One could argue that longer shifts could result in a less careful inspection at the end of a longer day or longer week, but that's not necessarily true. Maybe that inspector is motivate to do a better job due to the increased pay. :)

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
My local Ford dealer looks like they're going out of business...literally. They only have a single-digit number of F-150's and a few dozen other models lined up around the perimeter of the lot with a huge void in the middle.

I guess they're all sitting off I-71 waiting on chips. :) I hope a hail storm doesn't come through there.

This article says Honda is projected to be down about 125,000 vehicles this year due to chip shortages. To put that into perspective, Honda sold 1,600,000 vehicles in the US in 2019.

·
Super Moderator
6,083 Posts
My local Ford dealer looks like they're going out of business...literally. They only have a single-digit number of F-150's and a few dozen other models lined up around the perimeter of the lot with a huge void in the middle.

I guess they're all sitting off I-71 waiting on chips. :) I hope a hail storm doesn't come through there.

This article says Honda is projected to be down about 125,000 vehicles this year due to chip shortages. To put that into perspective, Honda sold 1,600,000 vehicles in the US in 2019.

View attachment 412884
A hailstorm would certainly be a terrible thing and kill any profits they were figuring to make on those vehicles.

·
Administrator
18,544 Posts
Autoline reports that used cars are selling for 50% more at auction than they did a year ago. FIFTY...PERCENT...MORE.

New inventory is so tight that rental car companies have resorted to buying used cars for their fleets.

·
Registered
266 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts