Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

Registered
I wondered this myself. The only thing I can come up with is that they didn't want people wondering which was the highest trim, BE or WE? By calling it BE in White, everyone knows they are equal.

Now that I read that, maybe Honda was trying to make a larger social statement here? :unsure:
鈥楽ince the 鈥淲鈥 in my board name is for White, I鈥檇 kind of like a 鈥淲hite Edition鈥. Of course, my name might be more in tune with the times if my first name was Les.:)

Reactions: Farther

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
鈥楽ince the 鈥淲鈥 in my board name is for White, I鈥檇 kind of like a 鈥淲hite Edition鈥. Of course, my name might be more in tune with the times if my first name was Les.:)
OMG I really want to laugh at this, but I am afraid too. Oh what the hell! LMAO!
I think we all need to get our sense of humor back. It mostly went out the window with COVID, and everything else that has happened since.

Reactions: DOB and SEW

Registered
Business continuity planning is all about contingency plans for unusual circumstances, every corporation has a group that does this, of course policies can be recommended and not adopted. I suspect more than one warning has been voiced about supply chain complexity and JIT risks and ignored. There is no reason to think another pandemic isn't in cards and even without one the shortages have created a higher margin model for most suppliers making the Cabbage Patch syndrome a new business strategy,

Logistics will be different from now on I guess but memories are short and money always wins the argument in the long term.

Administrator
Yikes.

In at least one case, carmakers are asking a major chipmaker to send microcontrollers that don鈥檛 meet standard specifications, a person familiar with the matter said. Those sub-standard chips wouldn鈥檛 jeopardize safety essentials, like brakes, the person said, but they could mean in-car entertainment or emissions monitoring systems are more likely to malfunction in extreme weather.

Source

Registered
Yikes.

In at least one case, carmakers are asking a major chipmaker to send microcontrollers that don鈥檛 meet standard specifications, a person familiar with the matter said. Those sub-standard chips wouldn鈥檛 jeopardize safety essentials, like brakes, the person said, but they could mean in-car entertainment or emissions monitoring systems are more likely to malfunction in extreme weather.

Source
Jeez..... bottom line, not customers.....

Registered
Boy - it sure would be nice if this chip shortage eliminated VCM and idle stop in the '21 Ridgeline! :)

What's wrong with auto stop? I have complete control if it engages or not. I leave it on and only when I want engine to shut off at traffic signal do I shut it down. Never shut it off at start up yet. What is truly horrible is the vibration of steering wheel if that is not shut off. Oh, another terrible thing is low quality cruise control! Adaptive cruise is not very good relative to Subaru anyway.

Administrator
"...[Warren Brown] says the chip shortage is going to drag inventory down lower and he predicts automakers will deliberately keep inventory tight once the chip shortage ends because profits are soaring thanks to slashing sales incentives. He says going forward automakers will keep around 50 days of inventory instead of the 80 days most of them used to have."

Source

Registered
2017 RTS White
Yikes.

Source
DISGUSTING..........................................................................

Administrator
Lean inventories may be become the new norm.

"Vehicle manufacturers currently have very lean inventory, significantly improved margins and strong sales. COVID disruptions have potentially created a new paradigm:

鈥 An industry days鈥 supply standard that is closer to 50 days than 80 days.
鈥 A determination to maintain vehicle margins at their current levels.

These policy changes would be great for shareholders. It would be bad for consumers looking for good deals or suppliers looking for high-volume runs. It will be interesting to see which manufacturers blink first and move away from our suggested change in thinking."

Registered
It is reported that the wafer to fabrication plants in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines are shut down due to a lack of staff from Covid 19. The plants that cut the wafers and create the spools for the automated assembly machines may not return to full production for 30 days - the Indonesia which cut the chips for many of the chips in Automobiles has 2 main plants shutting down for good - leaving 10% of the supply no longer available. They are supposed to shut down Sept 30, but they are closed now due to too many sick employees.

Improvements in wafer tech makes many of the plants that fabricate the finished wafers obsolete before they can make a profit. This is the same reason that, NCR, HP, and others stopped making their chips and went Intel. They could not recoup the cost to manufacture before it went obsolete.

The tsunami in Japan, ten years ago, wiped out many fabricators and semiconductor plants that never came back as they barely were profitable and could not replace key people that died, leaving their customers to redesign products or go out of business.

Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
Subaru only has a 6 day supply of new cars on their lots. Dealers are used to having at least a 50-80 day supply, as mentioned earlier by @zroger73.

I personally think the only thing that will make these automakers/dealers "blink" will be a significant downturn in the economy, when consumers can no longer afford these vehicles.

Reactions: SEW and zroger73
61 - 80 of 98 Posts