Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Definitely not OEM, at least for the US market.

IME not a particularly "common" aftermarket mod, though some fleet operators install them on all their vehicles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It just seems funny to me to see an otherwise completely plain Ridgeline but the 3rd brake flashes. For some reason it strikes me as something people wouldn't only do, they might add other mods too. Probably just my way of thinking, why do that but not LED DRL (it was a lower model) or tinted front windows?

Either way, thanks for answering. Just struck me as something that maybe seemed OEM we didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Interesting that you bring up the subject of flashing third brake lights. We purchased a 2016 Accord touring new from a Honda dealer, it's third brake light flashes. My 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E does not.

I mentioned this discrepancy on the ROC about a year ago and received some interesting replies and a few more interesting rants but not much helpful information. Many were convinced that the flashing brake light was dealer installed aftermarket flashing module and at least one suggested it should be ripped out immediately before it ruined the electrical system. I've inspected the third brake light on the Accord as well as the wiring loom and there are no splices or modules.

My theory is that there are probably multiple third brake light suppliers for Honda and that at least one of them produces a third brake light that flashes. I think it's a good idea so I'm leaving the Accord alone and may add a flashing module to my Ridgeline's third brake light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A number of dealers add aftermarket accessories to their cars and mark up the cost to the customer. A third brake light flasher may cost $20-$30 in parts, the dealership installs it, and then puts it on the additional window sticker for $300.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require all stop lamps (including the high mounted stop lamp) to be steady burning - not blinking, flashing, or strobing.

I've been behind a few different 2nd gen Ridgelines on the freeway and have noticed their 3rd brake lights flash a couple times before becoming steady on. Is this an OEM feature or just a common aftermarket mod that I am unaware of?
Moderator's note: Threads merged.

·
Registered
796 Posts
As zroger wrote, federal regs require stop lamps to be steady burning. DOT (the federal, USDOT) did give Mercedes a special exemption a few years ago to try a flashing stop lamp (I think it was only the CHMSL they wanted to flash, but don’t recall positively), but that was a small exemption for a finite period, as I recall. No one currently has such an exemption, and I believe the MB trial revealed no advantage to it.

I recently picked up a used car and discovered after the fact that it had a flasher mechanism on the CHMSL. I pulled the plastic cover off the assembly, found the small box that produces the flashing, and disconnected it.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
As zroger wrote, federal regs require stop lamps to be steady burning. DOT (the federal, USDOT) did give Mercedes a special exemption a few years ago to try a flashing stop lamp (I think it was only the CHMSL they wanted to flash, but don’t recall positively), but that was a small exemption for a finite period, as I recall. No one currently has such an exemption, and I believe the MB trial revealed no advantage to it.
Close! MB was granted a two-year exception that ran between January 23, 2006 and January 23, 2008 that allowed them to implement flashing brake lights on a maximum of 5,000 vehicles. The exception was not renewed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is the 3rd brake light led?

I am looking at putting a brake light flasher on it. Has anyone done this. I did not se any posts on it.
I had one installed on my 2018 RTL-E a couple of months ago. I know they had to remove the roof rear trim piece to do it. I had them set it to flash 3 times when you hit the brakes. I also installed the rear bumper reflector kit that turns the reflectors into Brake light, turn signals, and running lights.

I like the both mods because it gives me more brake lights to the rear and in California you really need that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm interested in this rear bumper reflector kit. Got a link?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have been able to "code" my 2013 BMW 5 series to invoke a European feature that allows the 3rd brake light to flash 3-5 times but only on severe deceleration. I was able to set the deceleration g-force number which prevents the light from flashing every time I apply the brakes, i.e., normal driving situations. Getting a number that I felt was sufficient took a few tries in the driveway with a tripod mounted camera running. IMHO that is an ideal way to implement the feature (I am aware it is illegal) but it has probably only flashed 2-3 times in the past several years and in one instance on I-95 I'm convinced it saved me from being rear-ended. I have been behind some cars and motorcycles that flash every single time the brake is applied and I feel that is annoying and distracting to other drivers behind the vehicle, including me. FWIW

21 - 32 of 32 Posts