Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my chrome delete project this weekend. Never worked with vinyl before so I figured I'd start with the easiest pieces - the weird chrome inserts in the rear bumper (wtf was Honda thinking there?) It was surprisingly easy to do there, and I was amazed by how forgiving and easy to work the vinyl was.

Then I went on to the window trims...yikes. These are a royal pain in the ass because of all the surrounding rubber gasketing. On the horizontal bottom pieces here is no room for error at all when cutting, so if your knife wanders at all you end up with a big chunk missing where chrome shows through.

Went on YouTube and found that 3M knifeless tape is the way to go when doing pieces like this, so I will be ordering some to do those.

After the window trims are done I will be using a large piece of vinyl to do the front grille chrome piece. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to live with the door handles. I think they'd be very hard to wrap and the smart entry handles make it additionally challenging. In any case I'd want them body-colored anyway, not black.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
305 Posts
Door handles can be replaced by ordering the rtl-t handles in the correct body color. Not too bad to swap, around 280 I think minus what you sell the chrome ones for. I did it on mine. I think the chrome makes the truck look way worse than it does with black accents and body color.

Had the rest wrapped professionally. 500 for all of it including the side steps.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Door handles can be replaced by ordering the rtl-t handles in the correct body color. Not too bad to swap, around 280 I think minus what you sell the chrome ones for. I did it on mine. I think the chrome makes the truck look way worse than it does with black accents and body color.

Had the rest wrapped professionally. 500 for all of it including the side steps.
Looks really good man! I did consider buying new handles but thought they'd be more expensive than that. And I didn't consider the possibility of selling the chrome ones - do some people actually want them?

If the knifeless tape doesn't work I'll pay a shop to do the pieces I was unable to do cleanly. I like DIY projects (especially low/no risk ones like this) and learning new skills is always fun. So far this has cost me about $40.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
305 Posts
Looks really good man! I did consider buying new handles but thought they'd be more expensive than that. And I didn't consider the possibility of selling the chrome ones - do some people actually want them?

If the knifeless tape doesn't work I'll pay a shop to do the pieces I was unable to do cleanly. I like DIY projects (especially low/no risk ones like this) and learning new skills is always fun. So far this has cost me about $40.
I sold my chrome ones on eBay for 80. Took a while, but they eventually sold.

Here are the videos I used for the handles:

The second one is on a pilot, but it's step by step the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used to do vinyl wraps/signs/etc., and have rolls of the cutting tape still in my go-bag. I used it mostly to do hood stripes on Charger police car hoods. Make sure that it is securely affixed on both edges of the string (cutting line) and that you leave enough excess on the start and finish areas so you can make a clean straight pull. It works pretty decent but won't give you as clean a cut as a blade. I'd recommend you practice a few times on a flat area with some scrap! Good luck, can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aramis

I Freakin HATE chrome!! From the day I bought my RTL-E, I couldn’t stand those stupid chrome door handles and the chrome trim around the windows.
I ordered the door handles and swapped them out. I did black vinyl on the window surrounds. I like the look of the Tru...ar, much better now.
Here are some pics.
24ADA602-8336-4CBC-AA67-F4F2A5793D79.jpeg 6C374233-A9A1-46FB-8E92-3FDE52A77997.jpeg 7AE62408-CF9D-41B2-8534-68000C77CF70.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Aramis , did you end up wrapping the grill? I have a white RTL-T I'm thinking of chrome deleting and really want to see images of other white ridgelines with a wrapped grill

·
Registered
2019 BE
39 Posts
Aramis, can you tell me what you used for the chrome on the bumper? I want to delete the chrome on the Honda window visors on my BE and I really don't know where to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts