Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dash cam I'm happy with. However, the camera takes a 12-V power supply from cigarette lighter adapter. Because I'm keeping this thing forever and it's on constantly when I drive, I would rather not use up that plug and have wires running all the way up to the windshield. Is there a way I could tie into something in the engine compartment and just run the power cable through the firewall? I can't tie directly into the battery because I want it to only get power when the car is on, just like the cigarette adapter. I want it behave like that and only come on when the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You could run the wires to the fuse panel by hiding them in the liner and A pillar then use a add-a-fuse adapter.
You could also run power straight to the front dome light area provided that power is only on during running conditions.
Check Amazon and you will find tons of ideas as well as other sites. Your manufacturer probably has something also so visit their site as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is a example for a radar detector wiring with proper plug for my application.....Link.

Here is a type of add-a-fuse, make sure it's the proper one for you, but for reference.....Link.

Here is another option for tapping into dome light area provided you find a hot for driving operation only, reference only,......Link.

Find the right adapters for your personal situation as I only added those items to give you a idea of things to look for.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use to have a link for wiring a usb adapter to the fuse panel.
Just make sure it has the ability to provide the proper amperage. They come with the converter for making 12v to 5V out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is a dashcam add-a-circuit to usb wiring harness. Just make sure you have the proper connections.....Link

As you can see, many options available. Just need to do your research/homework for your particular application.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I used the power for the home link/mirror in the overhead light area. Quick. Simple. Short cable run

·
Registered
579 Posts
One main thing to consider is what voltage/amperage does your device require.
After you figure this out, then proceed with whatever application you choose.
Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts