Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking some innovative thoughts here, where with the tonneau cover closed, when the OAT rises above approximately 90 degrees and the Ridgeline is out in the sun, the bed temps get hot enough under the tonneau so to interfere with unlatching the tail gate. (With cooler temps the tail gate unlatches really nicely.) With this in mind, how about some thoughts and ideas of how I can circulate outside air under the tonneau cover to keep bed temps cooler?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
What do you mean by "interfere with unlatching the tail gate"? Are you saying when hot you can't open your tailgate (either drop down or swing)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's easy to rig a fan to a thermostat switch. The question would be where to pull in the air from and where to push it out. When we do this for equipment boxes that sit outside year round we install vented ports on both sides of the box. We also get white or close to white boxes as that makes a huge difference.

I think your best bet would be to figure out what part of the latch mechanism is causing issues with opening and see if you can resolve that issue. I think the ventilation thing is going to be a more difficult and undesirable fix.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
I have a Bedrug and also the UltraFlex tonneau has that same material on the underside of the tonneau. It actually stays pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the OAT is below approximately 80 degrees, both latches work smoothly. As the temperatures rise above that under the tonneau, (upwards to 140 degrees or more on warmer/sunny days), the more we need to jerk the handle to drop down the tailgate, swinging the tailgate works satisfactorily. Leaving the tonneau folded open also helps the issue. This issue began when we had the tailgate lock installed by the dealer where afterwards we could not open the tailgate at all in either direction when things got hot. After several return trips to the dealer, this is the best it has got.Beyond the tailgate issue, being able to ventilating the bed under the tonneau would also be helpful to lower the temperatures just when carrying cargo.

Bill

·
Registered
962 Posts
And the dealer doesn't have an answer? Doesn't make sense that installing a lock woud change the the way the latch works in a hot area.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts
You could explore the idea of having a vent installed with a suction fan operated by a thermostat (similar to an attic fan) to keep the temperature down in your tailgate. However, since the concern is not the heat within the bed, but its effect on the tailgate operation, I would say try to find a way to insulate the tailgate from heat generated in the bed. There are heat reflective coatings and films that folks install in engine bay for thermal management, and you can try that.

Have you explored WHAT prevents the latch operation when the temperature gets too high?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
There were some early unlatching failures in the G2 tailgate on some '17 models. One fix was removing one of the actuation rods and putting a small kink in it to shorten it up.

It is possible that the same actuating rod in your tailgate is at the edge of that tolerance, and in higher ambient Temps, the rod may expand just enough to not trigger the opening mechanism.

All of that to say, either:

1) Take it to your dealer and explain the situation. They may be able to check into that rod length.

2) Take the tailgate apart and put a slight bend in the rod yourself to fix it.

I think @BillmanMotion had a post here in 2017 showing pics of the rod before and after he put a bend in it.

Edit: See post #25 here:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, even though it has been the tailgate that has brought my attention to how hot the bed area gets under the tonneau, it has since become a consideration with how warm it does get when carrying cargo, say especially, like groceries. Improving air flow really doesn't seem practical, but as suggested above, maybe insulating the cover itself may be a consideration? Otherwise, just leaving the cover open temporarily rectifies the situation. As far as the tailgate itself, as seldom as it becomes an issue, as well as how seldom we actually drop the tailgate, continuing to tear apart the tailgate just is not a priority at this time.
Thanks again,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Thanks folks, even though it has been the tailgate that has brought my attention to how hot the bed area gets under the tonneau, it has since become a consideration with how warm it does get when carrying cargo, say especially, like groceries. Improving air flow really doesn't seem practical, but as suggested above, maybe insulating the cover itself may be a consideration? Otherwise, just leaving the cover open temporarily rectifies the situation. As far as the tailgate itself, as seldom as it becomes an issue, as well as how seldom we actually drop the tailgate, continuing to tear apart the tailgate just is not a priority at this time.
Thanks again,
Bill
Not to beat a dead horse, but the Bedrug has just the tailgate section available. It would help insulate the tailgate from heat withing the bed. Hope you get it all figured out.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts
For ventilation, if you can figure out some way to pump air in, it will escape out through the gaps around the tailgate. One avenue to pump air in might be to use the cover on the right side to mount a fan. Replacing that cover to go back to stock shouldn’t be too expensive. You will also also need to add holes in the cavity to draw air.

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
100 Posts
Perhaps the trunk drain plug hole could be used to draw in cooler air from under the truck. You could rig up a small fan and run it off the inverter however, the trunk lid would probably need to be open at least part way. Hot air would escape out the joints and gaps as stated by olgzr with a little pressure created by the fan. Sounds like a MacGyver situation!

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
100 Posts
It's a pretty good seal as well. The truck lid would need to be open for this to work. But if it is under the cover, no one would be able to see that it was open.

Or fill the trunk up with ice and wobbly pops and use the ice to refrigerate the bed. Again the trunk lid would need to be open. :)

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Temps climb into the upper 90's for days on end in Mississippi and pavement temps can climb well over 100 on sunny days. Although the surface of my BakFlip MX4 gets very hot to the touch on sunny days, the foam insulation layer between the outside and inside aluminum layers of the BakFlip keep the in bed temps very close to ambient. I've sealed the bed gaps with butyl tape and still the in-bed temps are fine. I plan to do some testing this summer to confirm my casual observation that the trunk actually stays cooler than the passenger compartment and would be a better place to store sensitive camera gear.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have to agree with Coolbob. I have a Bakflip on my G1 and have never noticed the interior of the covered bed getting extremely hot at all. Maybe warm but not hot.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Temps climb into the upper 90's for days on end in Mississippi and pavement temps can climb well over 100 on sunny days. Although the surface of my BakFlip MX4 gets very hot to the touch on sunny days, the foam insulation layer between the outside and inside aluminum layers of the BakFlip keep the in bed temps very close to ambient. I've sealed the bed gaps with butyl tape and still the in-bed temps are fine. I plan to do some testing this summer to confirm my casual observation that the trunk actually stays cooler than the passenger compartment and would be a better place to store sensitive camera gear.

We gotta agree that this was something that we did not consider when choosing a hard vs soft cover.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I would look into adjusting the tonneau cover. I sounds to me that when it gets hot, something expands enough to cause additional pressure on the tailgate. I am guessing that there is a rubber gasket between the tonneau and the top of the tailgate. I would start there, or perhaps, something as simple as silicone spray might help.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would look into adjusting the tonneau cover. I sounds to me that when it gets hot, something expands enough to cause additional pressure on the tailgate. I am guessing that there is a rubber gasket between the tonneau and the top of the tailgate. I would start there, or perhaps, something as simple as silicone spray might help.
Thank you for the thought, the cover just sits on top of the bed/tailgate, there is no pressure involved. The latches have been lubricated. The tailgate gets more resistant to opening any time the OAT gets hot and the sun beats down on it, the closed tonneau cover just makes matters worse.

Bill

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you fold or roll the cover away from the tailgate. Then let it sit in the sun does problem persist? Even slightly. It doesn't make any sense that the cover that just rests on the top of the tailgate causes the tailgate hard to open. The problem started after the lock was installed.. I'm thinking that the idea of ventilating the cover is just going to leave you with a big hole somewhere in your cover. So rain is going to be a problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts